Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Link Manager
This topic is about the GetSimple Link Manager plugin, an easy to use plugin allowing you to manage a list of links (or blogroll if you want) on your website. Comments, bugs and feature requests can be posted here.

Installation

Download the latest version here, unzip the downloaded file and copy its contents to your plugins folder. To show links on your website, you have 2 options. You can add a placeholder to a page of your choice:

Code:
(% links %)

or, you can insert the following code into your theme template:

Code:
<?php lm_list_links(); ?>

For example, if you use the vanilla GS Innovation theme, you could add:

Code:
<div class="section">
  <h2>Links</h2>
  <?php lm_list_links(); ?>
</div>

somewhere between the <aside></aside> tags in the file sidebar.php to show the links in the sidebar section of your site.

Usage

Once you've followed the directions described above, You can access the plugin via the Link Manager submenu under the Plugins tab. Click on the Add Link button to start adding new links, change the order of the links by drag & drop.
Is there any way we can have custom order in the links instead of the current alphabetical one?
Yes, that shouldn't be difficult. I'll see what I can do.
roog Wrote:Yes, that shouldn't be difficult. I'll see what I can do.
Great. Sorry for rushing you, but how soon can this be as I need it for a site in 2 days? This can be really powerful as the user can create extra navigation for some GetSimple pages while keeping them hidden from GetSimple main menu.
@andyash: It's done!
roog Wrote:@andyash: It's done!
This works great. Thanks.

Another request. Can we have it accept internal URLs so we don't have to type absolute links if we use it to access pages we haven't linked to the main menu?
For now I'll stick to absolute URLs. Maybe I'll add the option to select local pages later.
roog Wrote:For now I'll stick to absolute URLs. Maybe I'll add the option to select local pages later.
Willing to wait. Thanks.
Hello, I'm french, so excuse my english.

You've done a great job with your plugin.
I've testing around and notice a little problem on the screen to modify link.
Instead of display DELETE it display {news_manager/DELETE}
The problem come from the file: \link_manager\template\edit_link.php
at the line 37 <?php i18n('news_manager/DELETE'); ?>
it should be <?php i18n('link_manager/DELETE'); ?>

In addition, I've done a french translation file for this plugin.
If it can help somebody, see the attachement.

Have a nice day.
Thanks Luniel for pointing that out. I've fixed the error and included your language file as well.
Always pleased to help
It is possible to define different category for the links, so I can put it on different areas of the page? For example, I need to add links to:

Footer
Main Menu (for extra menu links not related to GS pages)
Sidebar

Currently, I am using Component blocks to pull this off, thanks!
Wonderful plugin - thank you for sharing it!

Categories would be a great idea if you feel inclined to add them.

I did have to make a minor adjustment to the functions.php file so that it would open the links in a blank window - pretty much standard for all link exchanges. Other than that, it works like a charm!! Thanks!
Great plugin! I'm wondering if it would be possible to install multiple versions of this plugin on a single website in order to have links by category, and if so, what would it take? I tried putting a 2nd copy of link_manager.php into plugins, renaming it link_manager2, etc., but this breaks the site, I'm sure because there is a conflict with the original plugin.

Which files and what variables need to be edited in order to run two or more instances of this link manager on a site?
Thanks for develop this plugin.

In my own instance of Get Simple I decided to move this plugin from "Plugin" to "Sites" tab.

I disable access to "Pluging" tab for editors (clients), so actual location of this plugin is bad for my uses.

I think you should think about change of default location of this plugin.
derwu Wrote:Thanks for develop this plugin.

In my own instance of Get Simple I decided to move this plugin from "Plugin" to "Sites" tab.

I disable access to "Pluging" tab for editors (clients), so actual location of this plugin is bad for my uses.

Maybe you can tell how you did it, for possible future users. I don't think roog is still maintaining this plugin.
I have written an update to this plugin which you can see here.

I wanted some extra features such as categories, link target, description, icon etc and was unsure if this plugin was being maintained.

It is a complete re-write but I have grabbed some code snippets from this plugin so apologies to roog for that.
datiswous Wrote:
derwu Wrote:Thanks for develop this plugin.

Maybe you can tell how you did it, for possible future users. I don't think roog is still maintaining this plugin.

This "Sites" tab does not exist on a standard install of GS so did you just create a new tab for this??
Very nice, simple plugin. I'm doing all the navigation by dat plugin!