Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multi-level Menu Plugin
Can someone tell me how to "call" the plugin into a template?

Also, How would I go about having different text areas within one page - is that a second template?

Thanks,
Dawn
I did find a post on how to get it called into the template, but like someone else, I have the submenu showing. The explanation was css and maybe some javascript. I'm bummed. It sounds like the CMS doesn't have a multi-level menu that a non-programmer can use and consequently can't use the CMS unless you're a programmer.
You can easily use Zegnets multi lvl menu.

It can be downloaded here: http://get-simple.info/forum/viewtopic.php?id=721

To call it you would use
Code:
menu_master();

You will still need to write or find a multi lvl navigation, all the cms does is supply you with the list items like so:
Code:
<li><a HREF="link/link">link</a>
JWH Technologies
Have any marketing ideas for Get-Simple? Let me hear them!
DawnB Wrote:It sounds like the CMS doesn’t have a multi-level menu that a non-programmer can use and consequently can’t use the CMS unless you’re a programmer.
That’s because the CMS is not responsible for what your website looks like. What you want is not a CMS that can have a multi-level menu (GetSimple can) but a theme made to display a multi-level menu. I think there is only 1 theme that support a drop-down menu: abacus by PRAG.

The problem for me is that I can write a plugin to generate the raw code for a multi-level menu, but I can’t make it a drop-down. If I make it a drop-down style menu that works with the Default_Simple (the default theme that comes with GetSimple) it will not work with Cardinal (the second theme that comes with GetSimple). We have 39 topics in on the Themes board, if half of them are downloadable themes that gives us about 20 themes. There is no way I can make a plugin that works with all these themes.

Even worse, if I build the plugin to load a different style for each theme you might want to use your own theme or a theme that hasn’t been covered in the plugin yet. I think you can imagine what will happen: it will break.

Please let me know if you know a CMS that can output a drop-down menu no matter what theme you use, I would love to find a way to make my plugin work for non-coders.
“Don’t forget the important ˚ (not °) on the a,” says the Unicode lover.
Help us test a key change for the core! ¶ Problems with GetSimple? Be sure to enable debug mode!
When I use Joomla and want a drop down menu, I use this:

http://www.swmenupro.com/

Dawn
I have actually designed the site that I want a drop down for, and it currently has a drop-down menu, but it is in html (and I purchased a dreamweaver extension to do the drop-down). I guess I could hard code the drop-down with the pages, but then additional menu items couldn't be added. Is there a way to take the menu that I have and make it accessible as part of the theme?

Thanks,
Dawn
DawnB Wrote:Is there a way to take the menu that I have and make it accessible as part of the theme?
You’ll have to look at what the HTML used for your menu looks like. You can then, most of the time that is, change my plugin to output the HTML you need. Then all your JS and CSS needed for the menu you have will apply to the HTML outputted by my function and the menu will be dynamic.

That’s exactly what my plugin was meant to be used for, just the other way around. Normally you’d take the HTML made by my plugin and build your CSS and JS on top of it to make it a drop-down menu.

If you show us the HTML needed for your menu I would have no problem giving you pointers on how to make it dynamic.
Help us test a key change for the core! ¶ Problems with GetSimple? Be sure to enable debug mode!
Zegnåt Wrote:
DawnB Wrote:Is there a way to take the menu that I have and make it accessible as part of the theme?
You’ll have to look at what the HTML used for your menu looks like. You can then, most of the time that is, change my plugin to output the HTML you need. Then all your JS and CSS needed for the menu you have will apply to the HTML outputted by my function and the menu will be dynamic.

That’s exactly what my plugin was meant to be used for, just the other way around. Normally you’d take the HTML made by my plugin and build your CSS and JS on top of it to make it a drop-down menu.

If you show us the HTML needed for your menu I would have no problem giving you pointers on how to make it dynamic.

I'm not sure what you need, but the navigation is here:

http://www.churchoftheredeemerhamburg.org/index.php

Thanks,
Dawn
This seems to be the HTML for your menu:
Code:
<ul class="p7PMM">
      <li><a href="index.php">Home</a></li>

<li><a href="pastor-and-tammy.php">Pastor and Tammy</a></li>
      <li><a href="#">Ministries</a>
        <div>
          <ul>
            <li><a href="womens-ministry.php">Women's Ministry</a></li>
            <li><a href="mens-ministry.php">Men's Ministry</a></li>
            <li><a href="childrens-ministry.php">Children's Ministry</a></li>

<li><a href="youth-ministry.php">Youth Ministry</a></li>
          </ul>
        </div>
      </li>
      <li><a href="music.php">Music</a></li>
      <li><a href="connect-groups.php">Connect Groups</a></li>
      <li><a href="#">Board and Staff</a>

<div>
          <ul>
            <li><a href="staff.php">Staff</a></li>
            <li><a href="board-of-directors.php">Board of Directors</a></li>
          </ul>
        </div>
      </li>
      <li><a href="prayer-requests.php">Prayer Requests</a></li>

<li><a href="contact-us.php">Contact Us</a></li>
    </ul>
This is almost like the HTML outputted by my plugin, I’ll take a look at it tomorrow when I’m back at my desk. The only real difference between this and the output of my plugin seems to be that it has extra DIV-elements around the sub-menus, and easy thing to add.
I guess I don't know what the "protocol" of a plugin -the particular menu on the above site requires javascript and associated css.

Thanks,
Dawn
Without testing, I think this will create the right out put for you.

Replace the following code within 'template.php'
Code:
<ul class="p7PMM">
      <li><a href="index.php">Home</a></li>

<li><a href="pastor-and-tammy.php">Pastor and Tammy</a></li>
      <li><a href="#">Ministries</a>
        <div>
          <ul>
            <li><a href="womens-ministry.php">Women's Ministry</a></li>
            <li><a href="mens-ministry.php">Men's Ministry</a></li>
            <li><a href="childrens-ministry.php">Children's Ministry</a></li>

<li><a href="youth-ministry.php">Youth Ministry</a></li>
          </ul>
        </div>
      </li>
      <li><a href="music.php">Music</a></li>
      <li><a href="connect-groups.php">Connect Groups</a></li>
      <li><a href="#">Board and Staff</a>

<div>
          <ul>
            <li><a href="staff.php">Staff</a></li>
            <li><a href="board-of-directors.php">Board of Directors</a></li>
          </ul>
        </div>
      </li>
      <li><a href="prayer-requests.php">Prayer Requests</a></li>

<li><a href="contact-us.php">Contact Us</a></li>
    </ul>
With:
Code:
<ul class="p7PMM">
<?php menu_master(); ?>
</ul>

Then upload the attached version of Zegnåt's multi-level navigation.

I changed the out put of his menu to fit the code he provide above in this form.

Let me know if you have any trouble.
JWH Technologies
where does the javascript come in - don't i have to have the js and css in the plugin?

Dawn
No, all the JavaScript/CSS is supplied by the template. The link you provided currently works so it should be the same when you follow my directions it will just be dynamic.
JWH Technologies
I'm confused, my "template" calls up the js and css external to the template -

<link href="p7pmm/p7PMMh06.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="all" />
<script type="text/javascript" src="p7pmm/p7PMMscripts.js"></script>

So if I am still using Zegnåt's menu plugin, then where do I put my css and js for the menu - within the subdirectory where the plugin resides?

I'm sorry about all the questions, I just do the design / css thing and not a programmer, so even your template tags are greek to me - don't understand the "echo" thing . . .

Thanks,
Dawn
You do not need to do anything with the CSS/JS.

If you would like, zip up your current theme/template and I will make all necessary changes for you. I need everything within: theme/your_theme_name/

I need everything within that folder zipped and uploaded here.
JWH Technologies
I'm not sure I'm providing what is needed.

Thank you VERY much!

Dawn
I am sorry for the wait, I have added all the theme tags to your template, there are
still some links that will need to be changed to fit get-simple but I am sure you will
be able to do that.

I attached an updated version of zegnet's menu plugin, along with an updated theme file.

I have gotten this theme to work on my testing server so you should have any issues.

Directions:
  • Unzip: 'redeemer_church.zip'
  • Open the folder, open 'plugins' copy 'zegnat-files' & 'zegnat-multilevelnavigation.php' to: 'ftp_path/plugins/'
  • Open 'themes', copy 'redeemer' to: 'ftp_path/theme/'
  • Go to 'site_path.com/admin'
  • Click 'Themes' at the top, now click the drop down and choose 'redeemer'

I went ahead and made a copy of your logo and renamed it 'screenshot.png' within the images folder in your theme
so now you will have a screenshot preview even though its not a real screenshot.

JWH Technologies
I want a drop down
OWS_Matthew Wrote:I am sorry for the wait, I have added all the theme tags to your template, there are
still some links that will need to be changed to fit get-simple but I am sure you will
be able to do that.

I attached an updated version of zegnet's menu plugin, along with an updated theme file.

I have gotten this theme to work on my testing server so you should have any issues.

Directions:
  • Unzip: 'redeemer_church.zip'
  • Open the folder, open 'plugins' copy 'zegnat-files' & 'zegnat-multilevelnavigation.php' to: 'ftp_path/plugins/'
  • Open 'themes', copy 'redeemer' to: 'ftp_path/theme/'
  • Go to 'site_path.com/admin'
  • Click 'Themes' at the top, now click the drop down and choose 'redeemer'

I went ahead and made a copy of your logo and renamed it 'screenshot.png' within the images folder in your theme
so now you will have a screenshot preview even though its not a real screenshot.

i'm sorry not sure where attachment is.

thx dawn
I am sorry, didn't realize it didn't upload.

Here is a link:
http://www.OwassoWebSolutions.com/redeemer_church.zip
JWH Technologies
Thank you so much, this is awesome!!!

I do have a few more questions -

1. Do I make the color changes on the drop-down menu the same way I did before - the css?
2. There are 2 content areas on the home page. So I assigned the default template to one of them and template2 to the other one, however, the content that I put into the bottom area is not showing up - am I doing something wrong, or is my logic messed up?
3. I can't seem to figure out how one would do H1, H2, etc. tags with the editor?
4. On this "site": http://www.memoriesdesign.com/getsimple/...r-new-page
the top nav item called New Page is not creating it's own page, it's only being a parent item for the drop-down underneath it - can you tell me why?
5. the white area is supposed to be a static image. I called it up using what I though was the same protocol used in the other templates, but it's not showing up. I did have to FTP the image into the folders. As an addendum to this question, what in the protocol tells template 3 to use style 3. css, images 3 sub-directory, etc. . .

Thank you!

Dawn
DawnB Wrote:Do I make the color changes on the drop-down menu the same way I did before — the CSS?
Yes, CSS is always how you control all style attributes on a website.
DawnB Wrote:There are 2 content areas on the home page. So I assigned the default template to one of them and template2 to the other one, however, the content that I put into the bottom area is not showing up - am I doing something wrong, or is my logic messed up?
There is currently no easy way to have 2 editors on the backside for editing 2 separate content areas. Some things that have been done to solve this is the use of per page components or n00dles101’s page include.
DawnB Wrote:I can't seem to figure out how one would do H1, H2, etc. tags with the editor?
Because clients often get things like that messed up this choice has been disabled in the standard toolbar used by GetSimple. You can define your own toolbar in your gsconfig.php file if you want to enable extra options.
DawnB Wrote:On [my site] the top nav item called New Page is not creating it’s own page, it’s only being a parent item for the drop-down underneath it — can you tell me why?
Al right, took some inspecting to find this. The link is actually right and would normally take you to that page, but the Javascript of the drop-down system you are using is stopping this. It applies an onClick function to all menu items that have a submenu with the purpose of blocking the link from working.
DawnB Wrote:The white area is supposed to be a static image. I called it up using what I though was the same protocol used in the other templates, but it’s not showing up. As an addendum to this question, what in the protocol tells template 3 to use style 3. css, images 3 sub-directory, etc…
According to the HTML you’re calling an image located here: “http://www.memoriesdesign.com/getsimple/theme/redeemer/images/animation.jpg”. Please check whether that’s right.

There is nothing that tells different templates to use different files, that’s all on you I’m afraid.
Zegnåt Wrote:There is currently no easy way to have 2 editors on the backside for editing 2 separate content areas. Some things that have been done to solve this is the use of per page components or n00dles101’s page include.

ekhmmm.... I posted a guide about additional content areas with ckeditor using noodle's customfields pluging.
Although my solution doesn't change special chars to entities (I'm thinking about disabling entities in basic content editor) it works great.
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
I'm sorry, I'm not a programmer, so that anything that requires"programming" is elusive :0).

I'm not understanding the functions.php and how to add components. Honestly, I don't even know the protocol for creating the page functions.php. I took a stab at it and ended up messing up my design - I'm sure it is because I have no idea what I am doing . . .

I created a page that had this in it:

function get_content($page){
$path = "data/pages";
$thisfile = @file_get_contents('data/pages/'.$page.'.xml');
$data = simplexml_load_string($thisfile);
echo stripslashes(htmlspecialchars_decode($data->content, ENT_QUOTES));;
}

I saved that page as functions.php and uploaded it to my theme sub-directory, and then I called it using:

<?php get_content('bottompart'); ?>

But that didn't work and messed up the design.

I'm sorry to ask, but can anyone give me some direction on this, have no idea what I'm doing. My biggest frustration is that this seems to be geared more toward the programmer / developer and those of us who "design" are going to struggle. I really just want a simple CMS to offer clients (Joomla was too robust for small sites).

Thanks for putting up with my questions.

Dawn
Try wrapping the function like so:
Code:
<?php
function get_content($page){  
        $path = "data/pages";
        $thisfile = @file_get_contents('data/pages/'.$page.'.xml');
        $data = simplexml_load_string($thisfile);
        echo stripslashes(htmlspecialchars_decode($data->content, ENT_QUOTES));
}
?>
Save that as functions.php in the theme’s directory and you should be good to go using the function.