GetSimple Support Forum

Full Version: Goals for GetSimple? What is the project all about? What is "simple"?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

Though this is not really about the code, I would like to suggest that some sort of feature list or project definition be created, something that tells everyone what the project really is and what it is not.

I know that there is a description in the about page, and several topics around the forum talk about how GetSimple should really be simple, but I don't think anyone has ever said what is, in the project's view, simple and complex.

Take multiuser feature for instance, it is a simple and basic feature of every software that has a login. It is a basic security concern that I can create more than one account to different users. But some users think this is not in the "simple way" of the project, others feel it should be offered by the project.

This is just an example, others exist, like the contact page, why is there no core support for something as simple as a contact page that, I believe, every site in the world has, well at least the good ones Big Grin.

My point is that, as a new user, I can't find any information on what the developers want for the project and what they don't want. Since I don't know what features are to be offered by the platform it's a bit hard to understand where the project will go, in the future, what I will be able to do with it, if I can go the plugin way or if I need to change to core, in which case other CMSs are a better alternative.

A simple, if I can abuse the term, list of what features the developers consider to be fundamental and what features are not considered important or needed and that should either be implemented as a plugin or be sought elsewhere. Considering that "simple" is different for everyone, listing what is "simple" for GetSimple would be a nice thing to have.

Regards,

Sérgio Lopes
Quote:1. Target Market - The market I intend to cater to is the small 1 to 15 page brochure site for the average small business owner. This person needs a simple web presence -- that's it. I believe there is very few CMSs out there that do this small group of website owners justice. Our targeted small business owner doesn't need e-commerce, a blog or a comment system. This business owners only requirement is to have a dead-simple way to manage his/her website's content.
2. Skillset Needed - This website owner should not need to know HTML, and the UI should be as straightforward (even if that means losing some sexiness) as humanly possible. He or she should not have to think twice about how to go in and update their 'Contact Us' page with a new phone number.
3. Aesthetics - I want our admin panel & UI to be better designed than any other comparable CMS out there. This may be more selfish than anything, but what designer wants his/her client to log into the admin panel and see a cluttered mess of cheap, non-intuitive icons that give no value to what that client needs to do? From studying my competing 20 CMSs over the last couple months - this should not be hard.
4. Designer's POV - I created GetSimple because I would sometimes dread taking on small business clients. I did this for the shear fact that it would take me forever to 1) install Wordpress if they wanted to be able to edit or 2) create 10+ flat HTML files. Now all I need to do is create one HTML template file and copy it along with the GetSimple installation up to a host. I can have that site done in a day - AND - give the client a kick-ass way to update their phone number. I need this little application to have the power to handle what I need to do as a designer, all without sacrificing the other bullet points above.
If GetSimple starts adding features just to add them - then we will get lost in the crowd. We don't (yet!) have the size of community that the others have, but with a dedicated group of developers and a keen eye - we can create a project that will give any other self-hosted lite CMS a very, very good run for their money.
I am, however, completely open to features if they improve the quality and UI of GetSimple. I know no one here would claim to want to create another Wordpress-like behemoth, so if someone needs a CMS that does something even remotely out-side of the scope of this project's mission statement - let them choose Wordpress or something else that was built for it. There are a million of them out there to choose from. GetSimple wasn't.

This is what we have been working off of for as long as I can remember..

We are however working on a road map and would be glad for any suggestions!
None of those topics address what I asked for. It is a generic description, geared towards marketing, that can be filled by many other projects.

The tarket marked defined in the 1, and that I sometimes work for, needs more than what is currently offered, eg: multiple logins as there is usually the company owner and the employee that is more tech savvy and does the updates. Both need to login but using the same login is a security concern. The mentioned contact form is another one and the ability to easily manage images/files is also important, even in sites with as few as two pages.

2, 3 and 4 are too broad and can be seen as filled by other similar projects.

The fact is, as a developer, if I look at GetSimple and I need some small feature I don't know if it is something that will get added or if I need to get a plugin for it. If I go the plugin way and then the feature is considered "simple" and added to the core wouldn't my time be better used by creating that feature in the core and provide the patch for it?

My problem here is that I can't determine what are the project's goals, and I'm talking about concrete things, eg: "Editing pages using an API is not considered simple by the GetSimple team", "Multi user login is considered simple and will be added as soon as possible".

Basically, what is not simple in other projects that will be kept out and what is simple.

Let me add that this is an important marketing ideia Smile, define the project in a way that is unique and that will let new users understand what it does and what it does not and not in a way that is so broad that I can put there every other competitor.
I have not seen someone suggest edit via an API this may be considered if someone suggests it..

A contact page is available via many plugins. This feature does not need to be in the core when the plugins can do a better job of it.

Are goal is to make a very simple CMS that can be extended as far as a developer would like to take if.

All small little features do is fill the core with unnecessary code. (just because one person uses it..)

All you have to do is ask for a plugin with the features you would like and I am sure a developer would be glad to assist you!
The edit via API was just an example of a complex feature, not a request or even suggestion for implementation.

Don't know if I'm making myself clear, all I was suggesting was for the dev team to explain objectively what they consider simple.

Right now the flow is more like: "hey, I have this feature here, do you consider it simple?" If yes, then maybe I'll work on it so that it becomes useful and be included in the project, if the answer is no I go the plugin way, but the issue is that I have to ask you. I need to get to the forums, post some topic about the feature, get some discussions that can take some time, and then find if you consider it simple or not.

I would like to be able to decide without inquiring everyone else. Because "simple" is different for me and you, so I would like to know your definition of "simple", thats all. I'm not asking for a given plugin/feature, nor that someone helps me do it, I'm simply asking, "what is simple for you", so that I can better understand the goals of the project and where it will grow into.

And of course, when I say "you" I'm referring to the developers team.

Then again, maybe I'm just the complicated guy Big Grin

Regards,

Sérgio Lopes
Simple is the installation and managing.
Imo: GS has the simpliest installation I've ever seen in a CMS.
Next simple thing: it's simple to use and manage website's content right after installation.
No need to set tons of options to make it working.
Simple is plugin management, although they still need to be uploaded via ftp.
But you place plugin files into dedicated directory, and voilla, plugin shows up, and works immediately. The only thing you have to place the content it's supposed to show somewhere on your website.

Creating template for GS, based on existing html/css code is very fast, compared to couple other CMS-es. Couple tags to place inside the code, and you can launch your website.

Idea is simple, like cms name: small, fast, easy to use cms dedicated for small websites.