GetSimple Support Forum

Full Version: Support for multilanguage sites, Internationalization (I18N)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43
Connie Wrote:did you set the $lang-variable in the gsconfig.php as well to "pl_PL"?

You mean in setlocale(LC_ALL, 'pl_PL');? It was commented out (with en_US) as almost the whole content of the file but after the change to pl_PL - its still the same.
no, I meant this, what is described in the wiki,
it might help:

http://get-simple.info/wiki/plugins:i18n#front-end

Cheers, Connie
i did what you said in the wiki, nothing changed...
Hi everybody.
At first, the plugin is a absolutely amazing!

Al of my page content and navigation loads perfect.
Although, my navigation doesn't get a redirection in it's selected language.

Like:
default EN language nav: Home - Page2 - page3
home url: '/' or '/index/'
page2 url: '/page2/'
page3 url: '/page3/'

but in ES I get the same url directions
home url: '/' - should be '/index_es/' or something like '/es/page2/'
page2 url: '/page2/' - should be '/page2_es/' or something like '/es/page2/'
page3 url: '/page3/' - should be '/page3_es/' or something like '/es/page3/'

Is it just me, or am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks in advance!!
hey,
could you help me to define a current active language, assuming that I don't know php? Despite having screened all pages I still don't know how to set this up - it just doesn't work. How should I use it? Right now, i just have links to every language

Code:
<a href="<?php echo htmlspecialchars(return_i18n_setlang_url('cn')); ?>">chinese</a>
<a href="<?php echo htmlspecialchars(return_i18n_setlang_url('de')); ?>">deutsch</a>
glennb Wrote:Is it just me, or am I doing something wrong here?

That's how I18N plugins work. Pages are displayed as per browser settings or selected language, but URLs (usually) remain the same.
lanooz Wrote:could you help me to define a current active language, assuming that I don't know php?

This is what Connie meant:
Edit you installed GS root gsconfig.php file, insert this line (anywhere, but maybe better near the end of the file):
Code:
$LANG = 'de_DE';
(or change to your preferred language)

lanooz Wrote:Right now, i just have links to every language
When you follow those links, are the pages rendered as expected? (correct language?)
I was talking about something else now Smile The thing with the active language so that people would see on the page what language is turned on.
lanooz Wrote:I was talking about something else now Smile
Sorry... I thought you hadn't solved that. :-)
lanooz Wrote:The thing with the active language so that people would see on the page what language is turned on.
To display/use the current language there's the global variable $language
E.g. insert in your template:
Code:
Current language: <?php echo $language; ?>
(if you use that in a function you should first do global $language; )

Don't know if there's a better way... mvlcek?
New to get-simple. I don't have to use multi-language feature but need a drop down top menu. I installed plugin I18N. In G-S Admin panel shows I18N Navigation as enabled. In my template I called navigation like this: <div class="sitemenu"> <ul><?php get_i18n_navigation(return_page_slug(), 0, 1, true); ?> </ul>

I am not getting drop down menu result. Instead of 'menu text' some part of page title appear in an unordered form as menu. My css worked fine in one html test page and it is worked with <div class="sitemenu">
<ul><?php get_navigation(return_page_slug()); ?></ul> expect some help
give us an URL, please
I only want to use multi level menu feature of this plug-in. I installed plug-in and put this line: <?php get_i18n_navigation(return_page_slug(), 0, 1, true); ?> . My css support multi-level menu. But page title shows as menu item text when I get navigation with above php. (Instead of menu text of index page : “home’’ page title ‘Welcome to get simple’ shows in menu). This only happens when trying to use multi-level plug-in. Hope somebody can tell me where committed error.
mvlcek Wrote:The link produced is correct, but the server immediately redirects to the URL without lang parameter.
Maybe you have canonical redirects switched on in your gsconfig.php.

I've run into similar problem both under GS 3.0, and 3.1r520.
When I click on prepared url to change language:
Code:
<li><a id="de" href="<?php echo htmlspecialchars(return_i18n_lang_url('de')); ?>" title="Deutsche Version">Deutsch</a></li>[/li]
currently viewed website's language changes, but links in generated menu list don't contain &lang=de at the end.

Canonical redirects are disabled, menu is a flat menu bar, thus I use:
<?php get_i18n_navigation(return_page_slug(),0,0,I18N_SHOW_LANGUAGE); ?>
and it still doesn't work with, and without friendly urls.

What did I miss ?

edit: changing user agent info solved my problems at last.
i18n chooses language version automatically, basing on browser's language.
Reference to my post (Post ID: 188). My problem was 'Page Title' appearing as Menu-Text. I checked gsconfig.php and found Canonical redirects was not enabled. I tried with this php call also: <?php get_i18n_navigation(return_page_slug(), 0,0,I18N_SHOW_LANGUAGE); ?> . Result: menu-text starts shows up but Drop down section not showing. I don’t have to use multi-language feature. I am on my first website with get-simple and hopeful.
change I18N_SHOW_LANGUAGE to I18N_SHOW_MENU
yojoe Wrote:change I18N_SHOW_LANGUAGE to I18N_SHOW_MENU

Thank you Boss. Worked like a magic
I am trying the pulldown menu and though on mouseover I can see the subpage link, I cannot focus on the link since as soon as I move out of the main link area and onto the sublink area, the submenu disappears. How do I make it work?
I am and have been experiancing issues with the 'navigation sorting' portion of this plugin.

The nav sorting works great when I click "Save Navigation Structure". Everything is saved correctly and displays correctly on the website. However anytime I make edits to pages or create new pages it compltely screws up the ordering of the menu on the front end of the website. However, when I go to the "Edit Navigation Structure" page, the order displays correctly, and clicking "Save Navigation Structure" resets the nav on the front end to what it is suppose to be.. Its not the end of the world but its a pain to have to tell my clients to save their nav structure after each page edit.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Edit: Great Plugin btw.. Even with this issue I am far better off with it then without it.
mikeh Wrote:Has anyone else experienced this?

I worked with that as well, but I can't remember that, will try and test

cheers, Connie
andyash Wrote:I am trying the pulldown menu and though on mouseover I can see the subpage link, I cannot focus on the link since as soon as I move out of the main link area and onto the sublink area, the submenu disappears. How do I make it work?

See http://mvlcek.bplaced.net/get-simple/mul...ldown-left for the important CSS styles. Maybe you use something like .sitemenu a:hover ul { display:block; } instead of .sitemenu li:hover ul { display:block; }?
mikeh Wrote:I am and have been experiancing issues with the 'navigation sorting' portion of this plugin.

The nav sorting works great when I click "Save Navigation Structure". Everything is saved correctly and displays correctly on the website. However anytime I make edits to pages or create new pages it compltely screws up the ordering of the menu on the front end of the website. However, when I go to the "Edit Navigation Structure" page, the order displays correctly, and clicking "Save Navigation Structure" resets the nav on the front end to what it is suppose to be.. Its not the end of the world but its a pain to have to tell my clients to save their nav structure after each page edit.

I'll check this.
mvlcek Wrote:
mikeh Wrote:I am and have been experiancing issues with the 'navigation sorting' portion of this plugin.

I'll check this.

Nevermind, I figured this issue out! thanks
mikeh Wrote:Nevermind, I figured this issue out! thanks

What was the problem?
glennb Wrote:Hi everybody.
At first, the plugin is a absolutely amazing!

Al of my page content and navigation loads perfect.
Although, my navigation doesn't get a redirection in it's selected language.

Like:
default EN language nav: Home - Page2 - page3
home url: '/' or '/index/'
page2 url: '/page2/'
page3 url: '/page3/'

but in ES I get the same url directions
home url: '/' - should be '/index_es/' or something like '/es/page2/'
page2 url: '/page2/' - should be '/page2_es/' or something like '/es/page2/'
page3 url: '/page3/' - should be '/page3_es/' or something like '/es/page3/'

Is it just me, or am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks in advance!!

I need this as well. This is real problem, because I want search bots to index my pages correctly so I need for each page unique url. For example:

www.example.com/cz/neco
www.example.com/en/neco

Now there is only www.example.com/neco for each page..no matter on which page U are.

Please can someone fix it?

Thx.
I18N version 1.8:
  • supports now URLs with the current language

You need to specify a permalink structure in the website settings in the admin settings and include the placeholder %language%, e.g.:
Code:
%language%/%parent%/%slug%/
Additionally you need to modify the rules in your root .htaccess file, e.g. (above permalink structure, english and german languages):
Code:
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule ^(en|de)/(.*?/)?([A-Za-z0-9_-]+)/?$ index.php?id=$3&lang=$1 [QSA,L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule /?([A-Za-z0-9_-]+)/?$ index.php?id=$1 [QSA,L]

Be aware that if a page does not exist in the requested language, the next best language is used and the language in the URL and the actual language will differ.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43