GetSimple Support Forum

Full Version: got a problem with GS3.0 - cannot save an empty page???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
recently i was trying to build a new website with GS3.0, so i setup a new folder for GS3.0 and installation was successfully

i was trying to create a new page when i got this error came up: You cannot save an empty page. i rechecked what i filled in and the website health, everything showed me ok, i refilled the page again, clicked save pages, the error still came up, i still got nothing on my page...

ok, i replaced it with an old version of GS2, still the same....

guys, any ideas about this?
fotothink Wrote:i was trying to create a new page when i got this error came up: You cannot save an empty page. i rechecked what i filled in and the website health, everything showed me ok, i refilled the page again, clicked save pages, the error still came up, i still got nothing on my page...

The error message is misleading. It should be "You can't save a page with an empty title.". Did you enter a title?
mvlcek Wrote:
fotothink Wrote:i was trying to create a new page when i got this error came up: You cannot save an empty page. i rechecked what i filled in and the website health, everything showed me ok, i refilled the page again, clicked save pages, the error still came up, i still got nothing on my page...

The error message is misleading. It should be "You can't save a page with an empty title.". Did you enter a title?

thx for helping out mvlcek !

i ve already built a portfolio site for myself, i m no rookie here, haha.

i ve also tried reinstalled many times......
i m totally confused! i tried installed GS3 on different computers and different servers(both on xampp and appserv), still the same problem, it just wont let me create a nu page!!!!!!!!!!!

anyone could prolly help me out on this one????
fotothink Wrote:i m totally confused! i tried installed GS3 on different computers and different servers(both on xampp and appserv), still the same problem, it just wont let me create a nu page!!!!!!!!!!!

We need some more information before we can properly help you
mikeh Wrote:
fotothink Wrote:i m totally confused! i tried installed GS3 on different computers and different servers(both on xampp and appserv), still the same problem, it just wont let me create a nu page!!!!!!!!!!!

like i said, i was trying to create a nu page, and i was also filled in title, content and everything, then everything was gone and came up with an error msg: you cannot save an empty page when i clicked save page button...
fotothink Wrote:
mikeh Wrote:

like i said, i was trying to create a nu page, and i was also filled in title, content and everything, then everything was gone and came up with an error msg: you cannot save an empty page when i clicked save page button...

In your preferred ftp client, open gsconfig.php

un-commend the following line:
#define('GSDEBUG', TRUE);
i tested it on localhost, tried your way, still no luck!!
fotothink Wrote:i tested it on localhost, tried your way, still no luck!!

to switch on DEBUG is not to solve your problem but to get information about the problem, so please check again and give us answers:

did you get any error messages on the screen?

did you look into the log files in data\other\logs ?

can you edit the first page which comes with the installation?

what are the rights on the folder data\pages ? CHMOD them for testing to 777

your situation is really not the standard situation so we need more information than exclamation marks ;=)
Connie Wrote:
fotothink Wrote:i tested it on localhost, tried your way, still no luck!!

to switch on DEBUG is not to solve your problem but to get information about the problem, so please check again and give us answers:

did you get any error messages on the screen?

did you look into the log files in data\other\logs ?

can you edit the first page which comes with the installation?

what are the rights on the folder data\pages ? CHMOD them for testing to 777

your situation is really not the standard situation so we need more information than exclamation marks ;=)

1. i didnt get any error msg on the screen

2. inside the other\logs\.htaccess is "deny from all", no existence of errorlog.txt

3. the default page is editable, no problem.

4. website health check - everything is ok

GetSimple Version
GetSimple Version 3.0 - Latest version installed
Server Setup
PHP Version 5.3.5 - OK
cURL Module Installed - OK
GD Library Installed - OK
ZipArchive Installed - OK
SimpleXML Module Installed - OK
Apache Mod Rewrite Installed - OK

For more information on the required modules, visit the requirements page.
Data File Integrity Check
/data/pages/index.xml XML Valid - OK
/data/other/404.xml XML Valid - OK
/data/other/authorization.xml XML Valid - OK
/data/other/components.xml XML Valid - OK
/data/other/plugins.xml XML Valid - OK
/data/other/website.xml XML Valid - OK
/backups/other/website.xml.bak XML Valid - OK
/backups/users/admin.xml.bak XML Valid - OK
/backups/pages/index.bak.xml XML Valid - OK
Directory Permissions
/data/pages/ 0777 Writable - OK
/data/other/ 0777 Writable - OK
/data/other/logs/ 0777 Writable - OK
/data/thumbs/ 0777 Writable - OK
/data/uploads/ 0777 Writable - OK
/data/users/ 0777 Writable - OK
/backups/zip/ 0777 Writable - OK
/backups/pages/ 0777 Writable - OK
/backups/other/ 0777 Writable - OK
/backups/users/ 0777 Writable - OK
.htaccess Existance
/data/ Good 'Deny' file - OK
/data/uploads/ Good 'Allow' file - OK
/data/thumbs/ Good 'Allow' file - OK
/data/pages/ Good 'Deny' file - OK
/plugins/ Good 'Deny' file - OK
/data/other/ Good 'Deny' file - OK
/data/other/logs/ Good 'Deny' file - OK
/theme/ No file - OK

....no idea.... why would this happened
Try creating manually a test page.
Make a .txt file, rename its extension to xml, edit it and paste below content
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<item><pubDate>Mon, 11 Apr 2011 01:01:01 +0100</pubDate><title><![CDATA[testpage]]></title><url><![CDATA[testpage]]></url><meta><![CDATA[]]></meta><metad><![CDATA[]]></metad><menu><![CDATA[testpage]]></menu><menuOrder><![CDATA[5]]></menuOrder><menuStatus><![CDATA[Y]]></menuStatus><template><![CDATA[template.php]]></template><parent><![CDATA[]]></parent><content><![CDATA[testpage]]></content><private><![CDATA[]]></private><sidebar><![CDATA[]]></sidebar></item>
After you save it, upload it to /data/pages directory, go to pages page in your admin panel and see if a page named "testpage" appears, and you can edit it.
Supposing yes, it will give a hint, that there are problems with file creation permissions or file owner.

Tell me exact steps you take to install GS right after you download GS archive.
yojoe Wrote:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <item><pubDate>Mon, 11 Apr 2011 01:01:01 +0100</pubDate><title><![CDATA[testpage]]></title><url>
yojoe Wrote:Try creating manually a test page.
Make a .txt file, rename its extension to xml, edit it and paste below content
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<item><pubDate>Mon, 11 Apr 2011 01:01:01 +0100</pubDate><title><![CDATA[testpage]]></title><url><![CDATA[testpage]]></url><meta><![CDATA[]]></meta><metad><![CDATA[]]></metad><menu><![CDATA[testpage]]></menu><menuOrder><![CDATA[5]]></menuOrder><menuStatus><![CDATA[Y]]></menuStatus><template><![CDATA[template.php]]></template><parent><![CDATA[]]></parent><content><![CDATA[testpage]]></content><private><![CDATA[]]></private><sidebar><![CDATA[]]></sidebar></item>
After you save it, upload it to /data/pages directory, go to pages page in your admin panel and see if a page named "testpage" appears, and you can edit it.
Supposing yes, it will give a hint, that there are problems with file creation permissions or file owner.

Tell me exact steps you take to install GS right after you download GS archive.

the testpage try didnt work out for my situation!

i hereby upload the installation of GS3 step by step! everything shows just fine! only when i hit the button save page...
step4: slug/url
Use latin chars to create slug name - if you provide only page name, provide it as well in latin.
The best would be not to use chineese letters at all, at least for test purposes.
yojoe Wrote:step4: slug/url
Use latin chars to create slug name - if you provide only page name, provide it as well in latin.
The best would be not to use chineese letters at all, at least for test purposes.

wow, that works! looks like i just made a simple and stupid mistake........

million thx yojoe, u save my day! now i m gonna make a kick ass website for my client. i ll present and share with it soon!!!!!!!!!!!