GetSimple Support Forum

Full Version: Error "can't open file" when saving edited theme files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We recently had this issue with all of our GetSimple sites.

If using the GetSimple admin interface to edit the theme files (i.e. template.php, home.php, etc) when the edited file is saved, the message "can't open file" is displayed, and the file is empty.

This happened with both GS 3.3.25 & 3.3.16, various themes and both php 7.0.33 & 7.4.33

I solved this issue, and wanted to post this so that it might help others.

The problem was with the depreciated function get_magic_quotes_gp

The solution is to edit line 57 in the file admim\theme-edit.php, changing the original line:

$FileContents = get_magic_quotes_gpc() ? stripslashes($_POST['content']) : $_POST['content’];

TO:

$FileContents = $_POST['content'];

Paul
(2024-02-21, 10:46:06)PaulR Wrote: [ -> ]We recently had this issue with all of our GetSimple sites.

If using the GetSimple admin interface to edit the theme files (i.e. template.php, home.php, etc) when the edited file is saved, the message "can't open file" is displayed, and the file is empty.

This happened with both GS 3.3.25 & 3.3.16, various themes and both php 7.0.33 & 7.4.33

I solved this issue, and wanted to post this so that it might help others.

The problem was with the depreciated function get_magic_quotes_gp

The solution is to edit line 57 in the file admim\theme-edit.php, changing the original line:

$FileContents = get_magic_quotes_gpc() ? stripslashes($_POST['content']) : $_POST['content’];

TO:

$FileContents = $_POST['content'];

Paul

Thank you for sharing your info Paul.

As current development on this branch has been halted for the past 4 years with no info as to if it will resume, I would highly recommend updating to the "Community Edition" where this and many more bug & security fixes have already been applied, as well as new features and php8.x compatibility added.

On this new site, you will find links to an updated version (v3.3.19.1) and or patch for existing installs, along with a growing collection of php8.x compatible plugins.

Hope this helps.