GetSimple Support Forum

Full Version: Problem with page editing and saving
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello!

I'm currently working on getting a website to work on my hosting provider. The website worked on localhost on my computer, but I've experienced several problems on this host.

1. After installing GetSimple, when trying to edit a page the CKE editor and the textarea do not show up, neither does the 'Save Changes' buttons. This I managed to solve by disabling the I18N Navigation plugin, although this problem does not appear on my localhost.

2. MAIN PROBLEM: When installing GetSimple on my webhost, if I try to edit a page on my clean install the sidebar does not show up (the 'Save Changes' button on the right as well as the menu'). The sidebar on all other admin pages does show up, and it shows up on my localhost version. There is a save changes button on the bottom of the page, and it works on my clean install. BUT, on my install with files copied from localhost, I can save changes made in the text, but if I try to edit the menu text the change does not appear on the website (although it shows the changed text next time I try to edit it).

So, say I open my page "Index", and change the menu text to "Indexx" and change the content from "Hi" to "Hi!", when I refresh the page the change in the content has taken place, but the menu text is still the same. If I try to edit the page again, it says "Indexx" as the menu text. I use the get_i18n_navigation() for the menu, so it could be due to that somehow.

I've tried disabling all plugins, but as I said, the sidebar doesn't even show up on a clean install. And enabling the I18N Navigation plugin does not make the menu text change. I've tried clean installs of the I18N plugin, but I just can' figure out why it's not working.

The page can be seen on http://www.hitisroddklubb.fi/ny
Tazavoo Wrote:1. After installing GetSimple, when trying to edit a page the CKE editor and the textarea do not show up, neither does the 'Save Changes' buttons. This I managed to solve by disabling the I18N Navigation plugin, although this problem does not appear on my localhost.

I have no idea about this. Do you get any Javascript errors? Which browser?

Tazavoo Wrote:2. MAIN PROBLEM: When installing GetSimple on my webhost, if I try to edit a page on my clean install the sidebar does not show up (the 'Save Changes' button on the right as well as the menu'). The sidebar on all other admin pages does show up, and it shows up on my localhost version. There is a save changes button on the bottom of the page, and it works on my clean install. BUT, on my install with files copied from localhost, I can save changes made in the text, but if I try to edit the menu text the change does not appear on the website (although it shows the changed text next time I try to edit it).

Same as above. Any javascript errors? Which browser?

Tazavoo Wrote:So, say I open my page "Index", and change the menu text to "Indexx" and change the content from "Hi" to "Hi!", when I refresh the page the change in the content has taken place, but the menu text is still the same. If I try to edit the page again, it says "Indexx" as the menu text. I use the get_i18n_navigation() for the menu, so it could be due to that somehow.

I've tried disabling all plugins, but as I said, the sidebar doesn't even show up on a clean install. And enabling the I18N Navigation plugin does not make the menu text change. I've tried clean installs of the I18N plugin, but I just can' figure out why it's not working.

If you disable the I18N Navigation plugin, the navigation with get_i18n_navigation will not be updated. Even if you enable it again, it will only update, if it recognizes a change. Just save any page, while the plugin is enabled, and the navigation will update.
Browsers I've tested in are Internet Explorer, Opera, Firefox and Chrome.

Using Firebug, I found this at the bottom of the JavaScript, this might very well be the reason:

// <![CDATA[
155 var after = <br />
156<b>Fatal error</b>: Call to undefined function json_encode() in <b>/var/www/html/ny/plugins/i18n_navigation/editextras.php</b> on line <b>13</b><br />

But I also noticed json_encode was blue in Dreamweaver, as in built-in function, does this then have to do with the settings of my host?
Now I come with a lot of questions ;=(

Did you follow these steps?
http://get-simple.info/wiki/installation:migrating

Please tell us the result of the health-check:
Support => Getting Started => Website Health Check

without some technical data diagnosis will be difficult

which is your provider's company? Maybe you sit on one of these providers where the installation needs a little treatment?
read here: http://get-simple.info/wiki/installation...webhosters

I hope we will find an answer for your problems
Thanks for you reply!

I'm sorry for not including the health check earlier, I was gonna do it but forgot. Everything is fine apart from ZipArchive, which is not installed.

I did follow the migrating hosts steps for moving my files.

My host is Louhi, louhi.fi, unfortunately their website is only in Finnish (Google Translate perhaps?).

When I installed the first time, some DOM extension for XML was not enabled but I mailed them and they enabled it. I've done several attempts after that.

I just made another clean install apart from debug being enabled from scratch. No PHP-errors, the CKEditor worked as it was a clean install without the i18n plugin, but the sidebar still did not show up. However, even though CKEditor worked I got this error on the bottom of the edit page:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function json_encode() in /var/www/html/test/gs_debug/admin/inc/template_functions.php on line 761

Different file, same error as last time. Guess everything is due to this, somehow.

EDIT: Off-topic: When adding www to the louhi.fi link, I got a warning about "Too more links in the message". Apart from that sentance not making much sense, I only had one link, and if the file path counted as a link it's still just two. Dunno why it appeared.

EDIT 2: According to the GetSimple health check, PHP version is 5.2.8
Tazavoo Wrote:Fatal error: Call to undefined function json_encode() in /var/www/html/test/gs_debug/admin/inc/template_functions.php on line 761

json_encode should be available from PHP 5.2.0 onwards, but maybe it is disabled on your website?

BTW: disabling plugins doesn't always work as expected - to make sure there are no side effects from a plugin, delete it or rename the plugin file to something else, e.g. i18n_navigation.php.bak
mvlcek Wrote:
Tazavoo Wrote:Fatal error: Call to undefined function json_encode() in /var/www/html/test/gs_debug/admin/inc/template_functions.php on line 761

json_encode should be available from PHP 5.2.0 onwards, but maybe it is disabled on your website?

BTW: disabling plugins doesn't always work as expected - to make sure there are no side effects from a plugin, delete it or rename the plugin file to something else, e.g. i18n_navigation.php.bak

I've sent my host a mail now asking them about json_encode, hopefully they can do something about it! Thank you for the tip about plugins!
I got my answer today, they have now enabled the json module and atleast at first glance everything seems to be working as intended! If any problems still occur I'll get back to you...

Thank you for your help and for the work you all put into this CMS!

Louhi.fi is probably not the most used host, but FYI, here are the problems I've encountered:

1. ZipArchie module not enabled (using GetSimple without it, they'd probably enable it if you mail them)
2. DOM module for XML not enabled (they'll enable it if you mail them)
3. JSON module not enabled (they'll enable it if you mail them)
Tazavoo,

this belongs to the WIKI, we have a section for "special hosters", I will add this info there

Glad, it is working for you!

Connie