GetSimple Support Forum

Full Version: Favicon question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I created my first GetSimple website based on the Innovation Theme: http://www.verwirklicher.ch.
I must say: Impressed with the system!

I edited the favicon.png and uploaded it back to the /admin directory.
but know the favicon only shows when I'm in the admin section.

Not on my pages..

How come?
You have to upload it into your site root directory.
Just one level up.
done, but still no result.

Changed the file from favicon.png to favicon.ico and now it works!

Thanx.. for the help
Ooops!
I missed the name issue... ;-)

It has to be .ico file, sure.
I have the same issue. How to convert .jpg to .ico, will renaming it is good enough to make it work? My .jpg image is large around 800x600 and I wonder if renaming it directly to .ico will work or is there any converter that will convert .jpg into .ico format.
Search favicon generator in google, there are a lot of services out there that can do it for you
towelk Wrote:I have the same issue. How to convert .jpg to .ico, will renaming it is good enough to make it work? My .jpg image is large around 800x600 and I wonder if renaming it directly to .ico will work or is there any converter that will convert .jpg into .ico format.

1)

a favicon has to be either 16x16 or 32x32 pixels, so a 800x600 is wrong

2)
renaming is not converting

use a program which handles graphic files, for example irfanview, bring the graphic in the correct size and convert it to ico-format

that's all to do, not difficult
towelk Wrote:I have the same issue. How to convert .jpg to .ico, will renaming it is good enough to make it work? My .jpg image is large around 800x600 and I wonder if renaming it directly to .ico will work or is there any converter that will convert .jpg into .ico format.

I'm new here and want to help you.
You can use IrfanView to convert your image to 16x16 pix, you must Decrease Color Depth to 16 color and save it as *.ico
(Image->Decrease Color Depth in IrfanView.
ccagle8 Wrote:Search favicon generator in google, there are a lot of services out there that can do it for you

Indeed... I found one which works very well.
Code:
http://www.prodraw.net/favicon/index.php
and this
http://iconverticons.com/

michealbi Wrote:

You can use IrfanView to convert your image to 16x16 pix, you must Decrease Color Depth to 16 color and save it as *.ico
Thanks... Will look into this, though I found a good online base converter. But, it's good to have more than one solution, in case the other ceases to work.
Hello

I am just beginning to use get-simple and I appreciate pretty much.
I tried to set up a favicon but had no luck

I read a post about it here in the forum and there is written that the solution is as simple as placing a favicon.ico file in the root of the site, I assume in the public_html folder in most of the cases.

It seems that does not work
So I tried to add to the template header a line to recall the favicon but did not help.

Please what should I exactly do to add the favicon to all pages of the frontend site?

I also see from the source of the get-simple site linked in the first post of this discussion that there is no line calling any .ico file

So I understand should be really as simple as placing a .ico files in the root, but something is not working somehow...

Thank you for all the help

Bye
propc.it Wrote:Hello

I am just beginning to use get-simple and I appreciate pretty much.
I tried to set up a favicon but had no luck

I read a post about it here in the forum and there is written that the solution is as simple as placing a favicon.ico file in the root of the site, I assume in the public_html folder in most of the cases.

It seems that does not work
So I tried to add to the template header a line to recall the favicon but did not help.

Please what should I exactly do to add the favicon to all pages of the frontend site?

I also see from the source of the get-simple site linked in the first post of this discussion that there is no line calling any .ico file

So I understand should be really as simple as placing a .ico files in the root, but something is not working somehow...

Thank you for all the help

Bye

I would bet that this is a cache issue.. Favicons can be tricky.
but for sure it is not a problem with GetSimple

some browsers automatically detect a favicon.ico, but for sure it is always the best to define it in the header of the template

clear the cache, or try in another browser

more info here for example: http://www.favicon.co.uk/help.php
michealbi Wrote:

Thanks for the tip. As a newbie I found it really helpful. Thanks again. Smile
ccagle8 Wrote:Search favicon generator in google, there are a lot of services out there that can do it for you

Thanks a lot for the tip. I found a good generator tool at dynamicdrive! Wink

Achieve Your Goals
Acne