GetSimple Support Forum

Full Version: MLD email newsletter plugin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Hello everyone! Smile
I'm just about to finish my first GS-installation and i''m also using this newsletter plugin, which does a great job so far.
Because it was only available in English language, i had to translate it to German (because it is a german site where i'm using it).
I thought that there may be other German people who also wanted to use the German lang-file, so i put it in the attachement of this posting for further use.
Thanks to the programmer for providing such a great plugin! Cool
Thanks 4 this great job on this plugin!

Anyone knows about this annoying issue?:

After hit the subscribe button page reloads any address bar fills with?
"http://domain.com" ==> "http://domain.com/http://domain.com//"

which causes "We are sorry, but the page you are looking for does not exist."

Still, messages in my sidebar (where newsletter form is) works OK.

Thought it may be "Fancy URLs" issue but looks like it isn't.
Thought it may be "GS Blog" plugin, which I use - but it's not.

Thanks 4 any clue on that issue.
Just a short question:
What php code do I need to manually add someone to the subscription list?

What I want to do:
I want everyone who contacts my client to always be auto subscribed to the newsletter (I know that sucks, but that's what she wants)

I'm thinking about writing the "contact me" form and php myself, but maybe you also have a solution that works with p01-contact.

Thanks
Hi Leen,

Great work on this plugin. Have some comments Wink

I don't like the Subscribe / Unsubscribe option on the same form, it invites others to try it for fun (abuse). In the Netherlands it's required to have an opt-out on your newsletter. So why not seperate a Subscribe and Unsubscribe form? Users can place a link in the newsletter (footer?) to a opt-out (Unsubscribe) form on there site.

A (sur)name is not always necessary for a newsletter. I know the fields is not required in your plugin but I like an admin option to skip it, also for the list in the "Manage subscribers" and confirmation mail.

In the header/footer you only can use inline CSS styles, there is no way to add a link to a css file (on server)? I've tried it but the editor garbled it.

Maybe some more 'liberty' in the mail template? What if you want something like .. (see attached image).

The header/footer used for ALL mail, so also for the confirmation mail?

More integration with GS and/or other plugins? Possibility to send extra content with {% components %} for example to send (also) latest news items in the newsletter?
(2013-03-01, 02:42:43)Connie Wrote: [ -> ]well, now I need help!

I installed the MLD newsletter version 0.8 and try to use it.
I ran into a problem with paths and the hoster's support told me

that I have to modify the session-path in the script.
/tmp is not in reach of the script.

the path for my client's account is /var/www/xxxClientAccountxxxx/phptmp

but I do not know how to change that, I am not such a server-frisbee ;=(

can somebody help me out? I would love to concentrate on other problems...

Cheers, Connie

Hi Connie,
Browsing this thread I've noticed your post, is your problem solved yet?
For me this plugin is working ok, there are still some to-do's I think, see (my) latest post (2014-03-12 10:02:44) of this thread.
Hi there,

When i'm trying to subscribe using the subscribeform, i get the following Warning:

Warning: is_writable() [function.is-writable]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/tmp) is not within the allowed path(s): (/var/www/nikro.dk/:/var/www/tmp/) in /var/www/nikro.dk/kp/plugins/mld-newsletter/swift/preferences.php on line 15

And line 15 looks like this:
if (function_exists('sys_get_temp_dir') && is_writable(sys_get_temp_dir()))

I'm running this in a hosted environment, so i think it's not allowed to access the temp folder.

Any alternative solution to this? - Think Connie got the same issue.
@leenm .. or anybody else who can help.

I have the same problem getting this warning message when I'm subscribing using the subscribe form:

Warning: is_writable() [function.is-writable]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/tmp) is not within the allowed path(s): (/var/www/myDomain.dk/:/var/www/tmp/) in /var/www/myDomain.dk/public_html/plugins/mld-newsletter/swift/preferences.php on line 15

Anybody: How to solve this problem ?
How can I disable the e-mail verification before subscribing?

I have set $config to false but it still requires verification:

plugins/mld-newsletter.php
PHP Code:
/**
 * Subscribe email addresses
 * @param string $name
 * @param string $email
 * @param boolean $confirm whether the subscribtion needs confirmation or not.
 * @return array with message
 */
function subscribe($name$email$confirm false) { 

-- Edit --

Since that function to disable the verification wasn't working I've adapted the script to work without it, here's what you need to do, in case someone looks for it in the future:

Line 944, replace this
PHP Code:
$newentry $xml->addChild('entry');

$temp $newentry->addChild('name');

$temp->addCData($name);

$temp $newentry->addChild('email');

$temp->addCData($email);

$temp $newentry->addChild('status'$confirmcode);

XMLsave($xml$mld->files['subscribers']);

if (
$confirm == true) {

//send confirm email again

$msg sendConfirmEmail($newentry->name$newentry->email$newentry->statusfalse);             
        } else {

$msg = array('updated'i18n_r('mld-newsletter/SUBSCRIBESUCCES'));
        } 
With this:
PHP Code:
$newentry $xml->addChild('entry');

$temp $newentry->addChild('name'$_POST['subscriber']['name']);

$temp $newentry->addChild('email'$_POST['subscriber']['email']);

$temp $newentry->addChild('status''true');

XMLsave($xml$mld->files['subscribers']);

if (
$confirm == true) {

//send confirm email again

//$msg = sendConfirmEmail($newentry->name, $newentry->email, $newentry->status, false);             

} else {

} 
There's a bug in this plugin:

If you write a new Newsletter and just click on (Preview and send), without clicking on (Save Newsletter) first, it will send a empty newsletter to the subscribers.

To prevent this, it must be mandatory to save the newsletter before sending it.

-- Edit --

Fixed it:

plugins/mld-newsletter/css/backstyle.css
Code:
/* Add this to the bottom */
.novanewsletter {
    float:right;
    margin-bottom:10px;
}
.save-first {
    text-align:right;
    margin-bottom:10px;
}
plugins/mld-newsletter/lang/en_US.php
PHP Code:
/* Add this anywhere */
$i18n['SAVELETTERINSTRUCTIONS'] = "Save the newsletter first, to then send it."
Find this:
PHP Code:
<h3><?php i18n('mld-newsletter/EDITLETTER'); ?></h3>
        <div class="VIEWLETTER" ><p><a href="<?php echo $_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME'] . '?id=mld-newsletter&viewletter=' $letterid?>"><?php i18n('mld-newsletter/VIEWLETTER'); ?></a></p></div>
        <form action="<?php echo $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI']; ?>" method="post" class="mldeditform">
            <p><label class="mldlabel"><?php i18n('mld-newsletter/LETTERTITLE'); ?>:</label> 
Replace with this:
PHP Code:
<h3><?php i18n('mld-newsletter/EDITLETTER'); ?></h3>
        <form action="<?php echo $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI']; ?>" method="post" class="mldeditform">

<?php if ($letterid != '<new>') { ?>
                   <div class="edit-nav novanewsletter" ><p><a href="<?php echo $_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME'] . '?id=mld-newsletter&viewletter=' $letterid?>"><?php i18n('mld-newsletter/VIEWLETTER'); ?></a></p></div>    
               <?php } else {?>
                    <label for="saveletter" class="save-first"><?php i18n('mld-newsletter/SAVELETTERINSTRUCTIONS'); ?></label>
                    <input type="submit" class="submit novanewsletter" value="<?php i18n('mld-newsletter/SAVELETTER'); ?>" id="saveletter" name="saveletter" />
            <?php ?>

<p><label class="mldlabel"><?php i18n('mld-newsletter/LETTERTITLE'); ?>:</label> 
This plugin is wonderful, but there are some things that should be fixed/reviewed to be perfect, one of them is disabling CKEditor for templating the header and footer, because the editor closes automatically all <table> and <tr> between header and footer, therefore preventing from creating a container for the newsletter content.

The quick dirt solution that works is to disable CkEditor for these.

Go to plugins/mld-newsletter.php
Comment out this
Code:
<!--<script type="text/javascript" src="template/js/ckeditor/ckeditor.js"></script>
            <script type="text/javascript">
                    //<![CDATA[
                    var editor = CKEDITOR.replace( 'settings[theader]', {
                    skin : 'getsimple',
                    forcePasteAsPlainText : true,
                    language : '<?php echo $EDLANG; ?>',
                    defaultLanguage : '<?php echo $EDLANG; ?>',
                    entities : true,
                    uiColor : '#FFFFFF',
                    height: '250px',
                    baseHref : '<?php echo $SITEURL; ?>',
                    toolbar : [['Bold','Italic','Underline','JustifyLeft','JustifyCenter','JustifyRight','Table','TextColor','Link',
                            'Unlink','Image','Font','FontSize','Source']],
                    filebrowserBrowseUrl : 'filebrowser.php?type=all',
                    filebrowserImageBrowseUrl : 'filebrowser.php?type=images',
                    filebrowserWindowWidth : '730',
                    filebrowserWindowHeight : '500',
                    extraPlugins : 'htmlwriter'
                    });
                    //]]>
            </script>
            <script type="text/javascript">
                    //<![CDATA[
                    var editor = CKEDITOR.replace( 'settings[tfooter]', {
                    skin : 'getsimple',
                    forcePasteAsPlainText : true,
                    language : '<?php echo $EDLANG; ?>',
                    defaultLanguage : '<?php echo $EDLANG; ?>',
                    entities : true,
                    uiColor : '#FFFFFF',
                    height: '250px',
                    baseHref : '<?php echo $SITEURL; ?>',
                    toolbar : [['Bold','Italic','Underline','JustifyLeft','JustifyCenter','JustifyRight','Table','TextColor','Link',
                            'Unlink','Image','Font','FontSize','Source']],
                    filebrowserBrowseUrl : 'filebrowser.php?type=all',
                    filebrowserImageBrowseUrl : 'filebrowser.php?type=images',
                    filebrowserWindowWidth : '730',
                    filebrowserWindowHeight : '500',
                    extraPlugins : 'htmlwriter'
                    });
                    //]]>-->
Hello @all,

i installed the plugin and i have some questions.

1. what i have to do to modify the the display version of sub/unsubscripe if i add this to my template
currently i show it in two lines (name / email) + button if i like this in one line what i have to do?
2. i filled out all in the config (backend) but i get information if i like to subscripe "error it is not possible
to register your email" please contact the admin.

Hope anybody can help me.

best regards,
Harald
Hi everyone.

I'm not good at php, hope someone can help: is there any kind of API access in this plugin?
What I want is to programmaticaly create (and send) a newsletter entry in MLD plugin. (Particularly, when a news entry in News Manager is created - e.g., 'bind' these two plugins)

That would be really cool.

Or is this plugin outdated and I shouldn't use it? The comments are too contradictory.

Thanks in advance.

BTW, here's the Russian lang file I made for this plugin, in case someone needs it
(2015-07-18, 05:45:51)Oleg06 Wrote: [ -> ]I use this plugin http://getsimplecms.ru/data/uploads/plug...ssmail.zip
Smile

Thanks, земляк!

But could you please tell me how to use this plugin?
I couldn't find any information about it, couldn't even figure out how to add a frontend form. Confused

Thanks in advance
tab plugins
http://prntscr.com/7z41wb
http://prntscr.com/7z422k
Code:
<?php get_mass_mail_form(); ?>
Nice plugin. I am testing it and have looked through the postings, but I did not find a possibility to attach a file directly inside the structure of the plugin.

Is this possible and how can I do this, except to upload the file and add a link in the text?
By the way - when I load the 0.8 version it shows on the plugin-side that this MLD is version 0.7 and should be updatet to version 0.8.

To avoid this just open the "mld-newsletter.php in the plugin directory
and change the 0.7 to 0.8 in this file in line 59):
--------------------------------------------------------------
// plugin registration
register_plugin(
   $thisfile,
   'MLD Newsletter',
   '0.8',
   'Leen Moerland',
   'http://www.leenmoerland.com/',
   'Newsletter plugin for GS',
   'mld-newsletter',
   'newsletters'
);

Make sure that the @version is 0.8 in the info of the file.
On the download page it says version 0.8 with GS requirement of 3.0 - 3.1. Can this be made to run on 3.3.x?
(2018-01-02, 06:12:32)seannhenderson Wrote: [ -> ]On the download page it says version 0.8 with GS requirement of 3.0 - 3.1.   Can this be made to run on 3.3.x?

unfortunately nobody cares about this plugin.

I need a working version as my clients use this plugin and can't send newsletters or collect new subscribers

The plugin uses one (or more) deprecated functions which are not supported anymore in PHP and bring error messages

PLEASE, care for your plugins and help us

I remember that when I was member of the crew, there was more speed here... now I get the impression that not so many people care anymore, is this right?

Connie
I think you have to be flexible. You can't assume plugins to stay alive forever. Sometimes you have to get some other solution. Also, complaining doesn't help.
Datiswous,

you know that I helped a lot when I was active here.

Your answer sounds either arrogant. I have to be flexible? I am not with this system anymore because nobody (except SHAWN) was flexible enough to understand that some of the plugins must be continued...

And what about "that I can't assume that plugins will stay forever"?
I looked for other solutions, that's why I left Getsimple - no alternatives for essential plugins...

only one client stayed and he is in trouble now - yes, we will find another solution for this installation as well - we will leave GS as well.

Sorry for that.
Yeah sorry, I was probably a little harsh and maybe wrong aswell.
On one side I think that you can't expect much support from free plugins (it's always nice if you do).
On the other side I also think plugin developers should be committed when uploading their plugin to Extend. And at least mention when they stop supporting it so people can start rearching for alternative solutions before a problem arises.
(2019-02-08, 23:19:57)Oleg06 Wrote: [ -> ]http://get-simple.info/forums/showthread...1#pid52331

unfortunately this link brings a blank empty page
and still nobody cares for this plugin and my client still is stuck ... he can't send newsletters

and because of this I had to move the site to Wordpress, transfer all content form GS to WP, teach them (it's my time and I get no money for that)
This took me minimum 6 unpaid hours and many excuses to the client

So, this is a real unsatisfying situation.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7