GetSimple Support Forum

Full Version: pages.php breaks and empty title after copy paste
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I just installed GS yesterday and everything seemed great. Today I started placing text into the admin and I'm having this weird bug.

I can paste all kinds of things from the default homepage to lipsum code and its fine. When I place this simple text and I hit save, it returns this confirmation with no title in the title field and no content field at all. if I try to go to pages.php, I get a 500 error internal server error. I look in backups in the admin panel and it shows a file with no title.

The only fix I found to get pages.php back was to delete the xml file I was working in thru ftp. So I am now wondering what can I or cant I use. The text I am pasting has no special characters and was pasted into a text editor to sanitize it.

attached is a debug file I captured after saving

I will try more tests, but for now this is a roadblock.

Thanks
Hi and welcome here!

Please check the server-healthcheck (settings / support / website health check)

and tell us the result

which version did you upload, what is your php-version?
Connie Wrote:Hi and welcome here!

Please check the server-healthcheck (settings / support / website health check)

and tell us the result

which version did you upload, what is your php-version?

Hi and thank you,

Here is a screen grab if the health check
http://i.imgur.com/UyJAA.png
its the character in this string, ive replaced with {XX} because this text area wont show it. Ive seen thisbefore coming in as linebreaks from photoshop. I made an attempt to fix this in the latest beta, so hopefully this isnt a problem going forward

Code:
Director Keith Hamilton{XX}The Groundlings
ccagle8 Wrote:its the character in this string, ive replaced with {XX} because this text area wont show it. Ive seen thisbefore coming in as linebreaks from photoshop. I made an attempt to fix this in the latest beta, so hopefully this isnt a problem going forward

Code:
Director Keith Hamilton{XX}The Groundlings

Thank you! I will be more watchful. I am curious since I pasted this into textmate first, why would there still be funky characters? Any advice on what to look for and the best way to place code into the editor?

Or is the beta stable enough to where I should just go with that for now?
it is pretty stable, but not sure you should use it unless you need to. I see the characters in my installation of UltraEdit, so i dont think editors strip the character out.

Look in the debug.txt you attached in a high power editor. I see a character between the words i mentioned above.
use a text editor, not a word processor (WORD, Open Office)
set it to encoding: UTF-8 without BOM

type and edit your text in that editor. copy it from there and paste it into your editor-area, if you do not want to type in the editor directly

if you have your texts in another system, copy from there, paste it into your editor, choose "convert to UTF-8 without BOM" and copy that into the editor-area

it is easly done with ULTRAEDIT or (free) notepad++ for windows (the commands above refer to notepad++)
Thanks for the help and tips.

I found an option in Textmate for "show invisibles". Always knew about not pasting from word and thought text editors stripped out the the funky stuff. Now I know there is another layer of funky stuff.

Aside from that I have really enjoyed working with this CMS. Thanks for the help and quick replies. I cant wait to build more and more sites with this cms.
it's great to hear that the problem is solved for you.
Enjoy GetSimple!