GetSimple Support Forum

Full Version: Permanent page elements written to template?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was wondering if the template can be used as a permanent storage place for the main page elements that never change.
Then other pages can be added over top of/or into the template.

I did this with a test page and it seems to work nicely,
especially with php only plugins being able to be placed directly into the elements.

Is this the common practice? Or is it a bad idea..
Please let me know.

Sorry for the newb question..

Thanks.
well, you did not describe your idea intensively enough to judge whether it is a bad idea or not ...

an example would make it clearer ;=)

1) the template is the place for static elements of a page and everything what you write in the editor is placed in the template as "content"

2) if you have some some slightly different, but quite static elements for the page, you could define more than one template, one with a horizontal menu and another with a vertical one for example, and add the relevant template to the actual site, one with that JQuery gallery and another one with another JQuery plugin as other example

3) the principle of components gives you the chance to add even more functionality to templates (and by this to pages) without the need to edit the template all the time
they extend the flexibility of the template and the ease of use

to judge whether your approach is common practice or uses the standard features of GS, give us an example
Thanks for the reply,
Actually it answers the question for me,
I'm going to be putting static elements in the template(s)
and dynamic in the pages..

The way you described it above shows me I'm moving the right direction Big Grin