GetSimple Support Forum

Full Version: Custom Title - Support
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,
Due to a request I've created a custom title plugin.
This plugin allows you to change the default title tag, you can use the following variables: %sitename% Name of the website (as defined in GetSimple setup) %pagetitle% Title of the current page (as defined in the editor - the one display in the page body) %parenttitle% Title of the parent's page %menutitle% Title of the current page's menu item (if it has one)
You can also define custom title tags for a specific page (overriding the site default) in the editor options -> Custom title tag (empty for default)

Usage:
Go to the Plugins page, then click on the Custom Title Settings Link. Here you can set a sitewide title (default) which is used when no specific title is set for a page.
To define a title tag for a specific page, go to the Page overview, then open the More Options menu and change the Custom title tag (empty for default).

You can use the following variables:
%sitename% Name of the website (as defined in GetSimple setup)
%pagetitle% Title of the current page (as defined in the editor - the one display in the page body)
%parenttitle% Title of the parent's page
%menutitle% Title of the current page's menu item (if it has one)

Changelog:

Version 1.5
  • Fix typo in <label> tag (thanks Carlos for reporting that)
Version 1.4
  • Rewrote nearly the entire plugin
  • Fixed various issues with escaping and quotes
  • Fixed issues with modifications of the $_POST variable
Version 1.3
  • Fixed bud which allowed html code in title tag, which could cause unexpected behavior
  • Fixed issue which escaped quotes with a lot of backslashes on systems where magic_quotes are enabled
  • Added support for special characters
Version 1.2
  • Fixed styling issue with the custom title input form in page settings
  • Fixed issue in the options page of the plugin
Version 1.1
  • Fixed that you couldn't set custom title for any page
Version 1.0
  • First Version

Detailed installation instructions you can find on the plugin page:
Plugin Link – Download
this looks very promising!

the link: http://get-simple.info/extend/plugin/custom-title/240/

I will certainly use it!
Really nice! thank you
Essential plugin for those concerned about SEO.
Useful even if you e.g. only want to customize (and easily change) your index page's title tag.

Thanks for making it real ;-)
great idea for a plugin... I've been using the i18n custom fields plugin for this - but this is more featured and geared towards the problem of SEO. Great work on it!
@ccagle8

Heh, when I suggested someone created this plugin you said you'd use it if it existed... };-)
haha, I didn't even remember that post... but it still holds true!
How do I add a title change to "News Manager" - every post has a title as the default home page.
@dirtydancing

This does not belong to this thread's topic, but... have a look at this post in News Manager's support thread:
http://get-simple.info/forum/post/15133/#p15133
Thank you ePirat! Exactly what I needed when I realised that I could not easily write my own <title> tag different to navigation title.

I vote for this being included in the base code. It's essential, not optional IMHO.
Does this plug in have anyway of rendering the html? I tried to put a link in the title and it printed out the "a" element tag instead of the link.

If you can tell me where in the source to look, I will try and make the change and share it.
totbar Wrote:Does this plug in have anyway of rendering the html? I tried to put a link in the title and it printed out the "a" element tag instead of the link.

If you can tell me where in the source to look, I will try and make the change and share it.

There is no sense in using HTML in a web page title at all. A title is something which is shown in the titlebar of the browser, a link there is absolutely nonsense ;=)

why would you do this? To break the visitor's browser session?;=)

Cheers, Connie
Oh, I should have mentioned: In my template files, I replaced <h1><?php get_page_title(); ?></h1> with <h1><?php echo(get_custom_title_tag()); ?></h1>. I left the title tag in the site header alone.

I did that so I could keep the pages named correctly in the admin pages tab and still use a customized page title on individual pages. When I read the plugin description initially, I thought it was supposed to be for the use I gave it. Then I noticed the problem rendering the HTML and read a little bit more. That's when I discovered it was intended for the title tag, and not so much page titles.
yes, it might be confusing sometimes

I am glad it works for you now, and you can continue to dive into GetSimple!

Cheers, Connie
There are some use cases where you might want html in the title tag, e.g. to use &middot; and stuff like this…
If you really want to, you can use:
Code:
<?php echo(htmlspecialchars_decode(get_custom_title_tag())); ?>

(but I do not recommend using it, unless you know what you're doing…
I am using gs blog ( a slightly older version)
Default meta titles don't work so I was hoping this would help but it doesn't work on the blog pages.
OS there any quick way to add this to gs blog ?
thanks for any guidance
(2012-12-15, 05:14:39)lr Wrote: [ -> ]I am using gs blog ( a slightly older version)
Default meta titles don't work so I was hoping this would help but it doesn't work on the blog pages.
OS there any quick way to add this to gs blog ?
thanks for any guidance

Is there any particular reason you are still running an old version? We always recommend updating GS and plugins, to the latest stable release version.
Ok it seems there are issues with this plugin and the latest GS Version, I'll check this and update the plugin. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Do you know what the issue is?
Hi. Any progress with this please? Or does anyone have suggestions what to hack to get it working? Thanks.
I guess this plugin is abandoned. Can anyone suggest an alternative for setting custom titles?
The plugin continues to work for me in GS3.2

If you want an alternative system for custom html titles you can use a component to write whatever you want in the title tags of your template. if you want different titles for different pages you can follow these instructions from Carlos which I put in the wiki for different components in different pages.

http://get-simple.info/wiki/components-d...rent_pages

I have tried it and it works. It isn't hard to do and it can't fail.
(2013-04-24, 21:07:06)Divita Wrote: [ -> ]I guess this plugin is abandoned. Can anyone suggest an alternative for setting custom titles?

One of available customfields plugin will solve your problem.
Just create a new custom text field, call its content inside template's <title> tag, and voilla.
I've looke into it and couldn't find any issue… If you are still experiencing problems I need futher details to reproduce the problem.
Sorry for the late reply, for some reason I did not received E-Mail notifications for this topic anymore…
Works like a charm, exactly the function that I wanted. The only trouble for me is that it doesn't use a return function so I have to use echo, but that's not a big deal Smile thank you for this plugin.

Edit:// One more thing you could make better. Put one more field into the backend plugin's settings which would be your custom string for the "Custom page title:" text. I had to hardcode my translated string into the plugin's file. Not a big issue, just a suggestion what you could make even better Smile
Pages: 1 2