GetSimple Support Forum

Full Version: Does GetSimple work well on Windows ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I am developing a site on a Windows system; I am going to deploy it on a Linux system.
I'd like to know if GetSimple has some problems to work on Windows.
I noticed, for instance, that some plugings work fine on Linux and don't work on Windows.
Any suggestion ?
Cheers.

warxsg
The base system work quiet well on a windows system, but as you see it will be hit and miss if plugin work or not.

I use to develop only on Windows, but moved to linux prior to 3.0 release and so do not do any more testing on windows.

mike
warxsg Wrote:I noticed, for instance, that some plugings work fine on Linux and don't work on Windows.
Any suggestion ?

Could you tell us which plugins you saw that don't work on Windows (I assume with WAMP?) and what the problem (symptom) is?
Only issue I ever noted when switching development between Windows WAMP and Linux LAMPP , and deploying to Linux server - the file permission display in Files page. But it was fixed, and currently there should be no problems. When developing plugins remember to keep your directory separators not hardcoded into paths.
mvlcek Wrote:Could you tell us which plugins you saw that don't work on Windows (I assume with WAMP?) and what the problem (symptom) is?
last one I can remind myself was news manager.
I also esperienced problems with your plugins (e.g. http://get-simple.info/forum/topic/1322/...tion-i18n/ ) when developing a page on WAMP

Generally there are problems with paths to files/directories under windows.
Manually changing them or replacing strings is a pain, and it's not a usable solution.
yojoe Wrote:Generally there are problems with paths to files/directories under windows.

According to the php documentation using "/" as directory separator should be no problem.
You only have problems, if you parse a directory that you received from a system function.

I suppose my plugins I18N Gallery and I18N Special Fields use such functions (for image or file selection or showing images), but I don't know, why I18N wouldn't work. If you could give me hints, I'll try to correct it.
Hi all,

I have problem with the GoogleMap plugin, for instance.
There are problem with the calling "add_filter('content','gmap_show'); "...on Windows it seems that this calling is ignored.
Could it be depend on the theme I use ?
I am using PixelStudio as theme.
Cheers.

warxsg
mvlcek Wrote:
yojoe Wrote:Generally there are problems with paths to files/directories under windows.

According to the php documentation using "/" as directory separator should be no problem.
You only have problems, if you parse a directory that you received from a system function.

I suppose my plugins I18N Gallery and I18N Special Fields use such functions (for image or file selection or showing images), but I don't know, why I18N wouldn't work. If you could give me hints, I'll try to correct it.

atm I haven't experienced any problems with your plugins (i18n, gallery) under GS3.1b.
I had probs maybe twice long time ago. Those were windows specific, and I didn't digg into them too much, as everything would stand on LAMP anyway, and wasting time to make them working only for localhost development would be useless.

I can't remind myself if using absolute paths in scripts ($server vars e.g. DOCUMENT_ROOT) caused some troubles, but afair I just cut off beginning strings (mostly) and everything worked.