GetSimple Support Forum

Full Version: Moving entire site to subdir, preserving old links (?)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My current site (in another CMS) is located in the root. I want to move it entirely to subdir (for example "newroot"). But I want that all links from my old site, remain untouched: old link is www.mysite.com/index.html the new one after moving will be www.mysite.com/newroot/index.html. But I need that new link in new site for external world was remain in old form - www.mysite.com/index.html
As I know this can be done via mod rewrite, but I don`t know what exactly must be written and in what order.
Please help me to move my site to the new (internal) location and preserve (external) links to it.
try like the example:

http://kb.mediatemple.net/questions/85/U...ite+rules#

Cheers, Connie
zencoder Wrote:old link is www.mysite.com/index.html the new one after moving will be www.mysite.com/newroot/index.html. But I need that new link in new site for external world was remain in old form - www.mysite.com/index.html

Try using in your mysite.com folder following .htaccess content:
Code:
AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
RewriteEngine on

RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule /?([A-Za-z0-9-]+)\.html$ newwroot/index.php?id=$1 [QSA,L]

also to make use of built-in GS menu (to be able to add pages to menu an then use get_navigation() in template) in custom permalinks settings set:
Code:
%slug%.html

Please keep in mind I am not an expert and can't test the above or guarantee it works.
Simplest way to do it:
1. edit main .htaccess file, and change RewriteBase / to RewriteBase /newroot
2. move all GS file to newroot dir, leaving only .htaccess file in root directory