GetSimple Support Forum

Full Version: Symbolic Linking of Sites
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Please excuse if this is in the wrong forum for this kind of question. So I've looked at the multi-site plugins but they don't seem to fit the bill for what I'm trying to do. I have a launcher page that allows you to choose between two parts of a company. It should take the user to different GetSimple installs in regards to the frontend, but the backend should stay synced in essence. Seeing that the data folder was seperate, I hoped, and attempted to create symbolic links between the two for the following folders: admin, plugins, themes, and also gsconfig.php. After having done this, the sites became in essence one instead of two different ones with just seperate data areas. Is there any way that I could do this, so I can use one theme, one set of admin logins (I also use the multiple admin user plugin), and plugins on two sites? Has anyone experimented with this?

Current directory structure is:

/index.php
/site1/
/site2/
GetSimple is called GetSimple and it is not intended to be tweaked in the way you plan to...

Each installation has its own admin section, you cannot merge them

it is easy and not so uncommon to have as many GS installations and link to all of them without problems, but you cannot merge their admin areas, that will bring complications

I would suggest another CMS like contao for example which can handle more "page-trees" and is not difficult as well

if you tweak GetSimple in that intended way I fear that you will have a lot of problems all the time with plugins etc.

I really suggest not to continue with that quest and GetSimple ;=)
Connie, while I appreciate the terse reply, it actually is not that useful. I completly understand the notion that GetSimple is meant to be simple. What I was attempting to do is quite easily within the realm of a simple solution (creating three sym links is a few seconds work total).

Yes I have used other CMS solutions, but I do prefer the simple interface nature of GetSimple. It is also meant to be expanded from what I can tell. And just because something was not designed to work in a certain way, it does not mean that it cannot or should not be done.

It also does not seem comprehensible that having admin usernames, plugins, and themes linked across sites be a problem. That being said, no I have no taken the time to crawl about each line of code looking for the culprit to solution. That is why I asked if anyone here had a potential idea for a solution, not just a way of saying no repeatedly.
I don't suppose you had any luck with this? I'm trying to do the same thing. Symlinking seemed like a perfect multisite solution.