GetSimple Support Forum

Full Version: I18N Sidebar Menu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey. I am implementing a top drop down menu and a left sidebar menu. The top menu lists all the parent pages and will show the child pages on a mouse hover. To spare redundancy, I would like the left sidebar to only list the fellow sibling pages within that parent menu that the current page belongs to. It seems like I just need to edit a slice of the menu code somewhere but I am new to web design so be easy on meh.

Two other quick questions. it would help my design if I could add a page parent to the menu with subpages under it but the parent is not an existing or clickable page. I was also messing around with some page options and I guess I deleted some code becaue the hover over drop down menu is showing up to the right of the menu page button I hover over, blocking the page texts next to it.

Thanks for the help.
welcome here!

Even when you are eager to get an answer fast, how can we answer your questions when you don't give us a chance to recognize the situation?

URL please!

We have no witchcraft and no magic chrystal balls ;=)

Cheers, Connie
Hi zenn57,

zenn57 Wrote:Hey. I am implementing a top drop down menu and a left sidebar menu. The top menu lists all the parent pages and will show the child pages on a mouse hover. To spare redundancy, I would like the left sidebar to only list the fellow sibling pages within that parent menu that the current page belongs to.
I may have a template snippet for you which works at get-simple.de:

Code:
<!-- Checks whether there are actual sub-pages of a parent and only then outputs those -->
    <?php

if (count(return_i18n_menu_data(return_page_slug(),1,10)) > 0) {

echo '<div class="section">';
            echo '<h2>Unterseiten</h2>';
            echo '<ul>';
            get_i18n_navigation(return_page_slug(),1,10);
            echo '</ul>';
            echo '</div>';

}
    ?>

First, the code checks if the I18n navigation has sub pages for the current parent. If yes (value > 0), output some HTML (for the Innovation theme, so you may have to remove/adapt the respective echo commands if you use another theme.) Then output all sub-pages/siblings starting with level 1 until level 10 and finally output some closing HTML tags.

Hope this helps!
So I messed with my last template to the point where I had an internal error I could not discover the source of. I ended up reworking the design, learned a good amount, and like it much more. My problem right now is with the drop down menu. When I hover over one parent menu, the ones to the left are pushed over. I understand this is due to the block element but I am a bit lost on how to modify the other parents to be 'inline' or any other method of preventing this. I would also prefer if the dropdown would be listed vertically instead of horizontally. Also, if I can limit the pixels somehow, or design an alternative li that did not display the bottom green bar for the drop down menu, that would be great. Thanks for all the help. It is appreciated.
Well looks like I messed this one up too haha. I was playing with the background design. Typical of me, I acted prematurely without thinking things through. For an odd reason, I took my knowledge from java and added '//' before the background design of my 'top-bar' background, thinking it would disable that line of code. I now know the actually command for a comment. Anyways, I cannot get it back to how it was originally layed out even after removed the erroneous dashes I added. Thanks again. Ill try not to be so hard headed next time.