GetSimple Support Forum

Full Version: Error saving admin settings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I have installed GetSimple several times without any difficulties. Today however I installed it on a new (linux) server and get the error message when I try to save the settings screen:

"Error: Unable to continue: Unable to write config file. CHMOD 755 or 777 the folders /data, /backups and their sub-folders and retry"

This is in spite of the fact that the settings are actually being saved. I have checked the contents of admin.xml and website.xml to confirm this.

One thing I noticed that is different about this server I am currently on is that files that are created by the application are not 'owned' by the account owner. I think this is an apache thing.

The other thing I wondered was when the error says 'Unable to write config file' - what config file, or files, specifically is it referring to. Is it just the gsconfig.php file in the root, or is there others?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
check the section "Specific hosters" in the wiki

http://get-simple.info/wiki/installation...webhosters

maybe this helps to find the reason of that behaviour

Cheers, Connie
Thank you Connie,

I had a look at the information and tried (many) things without success. In the end I created the website on another server and transferred it. There are still errors saving the settings screen but I may have to live with that. I can edit the settings files externally and upload them.

Whatever the issue is appears to be tied up with permissions and folder ownership.

In future I will stick to the servers where GetSimple isntalls without a hitch.

Once again, thanks for your help.