GetSimple Support Forum

Full Version: Upgrading 3.0 to 3.1 ! Are there special instructions ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi !

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway :

Are there special instructions for upgrading an installation of 3.0 (functional) to 3.1?

In the wiki it is not even mentioned this type of upgrade between these two versions.
it's a point release, so all that is needed is the normal upgrade instructions
ok thank you ccagle8.

I'll do a save and try to upgrade. if I find a specific problem then I would do a post.
AFAIK only a couple things to take into account when upgrading from 3.0 to 3.1:

1. By default GS 3.1 now has GSDONOTPING enabled. Unless you do the following change, your upgraded site will generate the sitemap and ping search engines automatically when you save a page.

To avoid this, edit gsconfig.php and change:
Code:
#define('GSDONOTPING', 1);
to:

Code:
define('GSDONOTPING', 1);

2. By default GS 3.1 now loads javascript code from an external source (googleapis.com) instead of locally. If you want to force it to use the local copies, edit gsconfig.php and insert somewhere (better near the end of the file) this:
Code:
# Disable loading of external CDN versions of scripts (jQuery/jQueryUI)
define("GSNOCDN",true);
If you're running Suhosin, you'll get an error when accessing admin/inc/thumb.php

On line 114, it tries to reset the PHP memory limit to -1, which Suhosin does not allow. I've just commented it out for now as I'm ok with my php.ini settings being used but folks in other hosting environments might want to change it to another value.

Code:
// Allocate all necessary memory for the image.
// Special thanks to Alecos for providing the code.
ini_set('memory_limit', '-1');

Edit: Hmm, looks like this was also in the 3.0 version. Not sure why it only created a problem after upgrading.
In case anyone is wondering, I upgraded from 2.0 to 3.1 with no probs following the 2.x to 3.0 steps.
Carlos Wrote:AFAIK only a couple things to take into account when upgrading from 3.0 to 3.1:

1. By default GS 3.1 now has GSDONOTPING enabled. Unless you do the following change, your upgraded site will generate the sitemap and ping search engines automatically when you save a page.

To avoid this, edit gsconfig.php and change:
Code:
#define('GSDONOTPING', 1);
to:

Code:

2. By default GS 3.1 now loads javascript code from an external source (googleapis.com) instead of locally. If you want to force it to use the local copies, edit gsconfig.php and insert somewhere (better near the end of the file) this:
Code:
# Disable loading of external CDN versions of scripts (jQuery/jQueryUI)
define("GSNOCDN",true);

Hi Carlos.

It seems this option is ONLY for not pinging search engines, but sitemap.xml is always generated when a change is made in any page.

Even if I have
Code:
in gsconfig, everytime I change a page, the sitemap is updated... is it possible to avoid a new sitemap generation when updating a page?... I see no option for that and my problem is that I'm using the I18N plugin and the sitemap is badly formated if done automatically.

Cheers from Barcelona,
Lluis
Lluis,

Yeah, I suggested to make sitemap.xml generation optional.

Meanwhile here's a quick patch to the 3.1 core. Edit admin/inc/template_functions.php. After this (line 1035):
Code:
function generate_sitemap() {
insert this (in line 1036)
Code:
return true;
The sitemap.xml file will not be created.
(If you prefer I can do something similar but adding a gsconfig setting, e.g. GSNOSITEMAP)
Thanks a lot Carlos... hope the option is included in the next release.
Regards,
Lluis
Is this already part of the Wiki? If not, maybe it should be?
No, it's a patch to the core so IMHO it shouldn't be in the wiki.
I followed the upgrade instructions, and while my website came back up OK, I can no longer get to the ADMIN page.

I'm getting a 500 server error - does anyone know why that might be happening?
http://completehomeinspectionservice.com/admin/
grassfrog Wrote:I followed the upgrade instructions, and while my website came back up OK, I can no longer get to the ADMIN page.

500 is a syntax error, you messed up a php file.
Undo your changes and you should get your site back.
I don't have any changes to undo. I just uploaded the new version 3.1 (except for data and backups) over the top of the old and now the menu won't show up and I can't get into the CMS.

Thanks for your input though.

Instead of dealing with this, since there was no apparent fix, I installed a new version 3.1 in its entirety on a different site and copied my client's data over there. Now I guess I will just kill this site and point it to the one that works.

I wish that this system wasn't such a mystery. It seems like there's alot of hit and miss when it comes to getting things to work.

shawn_a Wrote:
grassfrog Wrote:I followed the upgrade instructions, and while my website came back up OK, I can no longer get to the ADMIN page.

500 is a syntax error, you messed up a php file.
Undo your changes and you should get your site back.
I'm new to GetSimple CMS and need to upgrade from 3.0 to 3.1. I've read this thread and I have one question: The upgrade instructions don't say to rename the config file. As a result, I would expect the old config file to continue to be active.

Is this correct, or will I need to update the new config file and rename it?

Thank you!
jaurand Wrote:As a result, I would expect the old config file to continue to be active.

the old gsconfig.php will work, however there are some new entries in the config which will use the default values, so you have no problem to continue with the old config-file

However, I suggest you to read this information on gsconfig.php:
http://get-simple.info/wiki/config:gsconfig

all new values are noted (example:
GSNOCSRF (3.1+) allows you to turn off the CSRF protection system )

so you can see which options are new and which of these you will need
Is anyone else (or is it just me) that is finding that if you upgrade from 3.1 to 3.1.1 that the admin side seems to be really slow at responding?

The end user site is very responsive but when I click on anything within the admin side I can be waiting up to a minute before it does anything...

Cheer
Rich
I am not seeing this
@richard2323, are you testing on localhost or a live site?