GetSimple Support Forum

Full Version: GS 3.1 - Failed logins not logged
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

Failed login attempts are not logged, which is a regression from v3.0. Sorry, I'm not sure when it broke. No errors are displayed, it just fails silently.

I also notice that the Support option 'View Failed Login Attempts' is always available, even when there have been no such attempts. Is this intentional? In v3.0 the offer to view only appears if the log file exists.

I have only tested on a LAN server (I don't have a live v3.1), but I don't think that's the cause.
hameau Wrote:Hello,

Failed login attempts are not logged, which is a regression from v3.0. Sorry, I'm not sure when it broke. No errors are displayed, it just fails silently.

I also notice that the Support option 'View Failed Login Attempts' is always available, even when there have been no such attempts. Is this intentional? In v3.0 the offer to view only appears if the log file exists.

I have only tested on a LAN server (I don't have a live v3.1), but I don't think that's the cause.

My log is also empty since I have upgraded.
Guys, I am not seeing this in my installation: http://code.google.com/p/get-simple-cms/...?id=%20305
Hi,

I failed to log me on the admin panel, there's no error, no message.

I was being created a new page and there was a cookie end session I presume. I needed to log me on again to finish my page but nothing happends.

This is the second time today that this happens. The first time I had to delete all files and redo a complete install of GS (version 3.1 ! ) to regain control.
You can have a look there : **** login/pwd : **/ **

Thanks for your reply !

plugins installed :
I18N Base / customfields / gallery / navigation / search / specialpages
P01-contact / theme_highlighter

edit :
debug mode on
try with firefox and IE, same problem

edit by ccagle8: removed login information
re-edit by didou: url removed
hameau Wrote:I have only tested on a LAN server (I don't have a live v3.1), but I don't think that's the cause.
I don't know what's causing it, but everything else is working fine, including the errorlog.txt being written to the same directory.

If it's not a widespread problem then I guess it must be a server setting here, but I can't find it immediately. Sorry for the noise.
hameau Wrote:
hameau Wrote:I have only tested on a LAN server (I don't have a live v3.1), but I don't think that's the cause.
I don't know what's causing it, but everything else is working fine, including the errorlog.txt being written to the same directory.

If it's not a widespread problem then I guess it must be a server setting here, but I can't find it immediately. Sorry for the noise.

Only failed logins for a know user are logged. If you enter an invalid username it is not logged.
Can you try a failure with a correct username and wrong password only and see if that works ?
shawn_a Wrote:Only failed logins for a know user are logged.

I bet this is the culprit
GS 3.0 did the same, only existing users failed logins were logged. I hadn't noticed this.
shawn_a Wrote:Can you try a failure with a correct username and wrong password only and see if that works ?
D'oh!

Well, I never knew that ...

Thanks to everyone for their patience. Err, you can mark this one as 'Won't Fix'. :-P
didou038 Wrote:Hi,

I was being created a new page and there was a cookie end session I presume. I needed to log me on again to finish my page but nothing happends.

This is the second time today that this happens. The first time I had to delete all files and redo a complete install of GS (version 3.1 ! ) to regain control.
You can have a look there : cyclehome.artisan-online.fr/admin login/pwd : **/ **

Thanks for your reply !

plugins installed :

edit :
debug mode on

Has someone got an idea ?
didou038 Wrote:
didou038 Wrote:Hi,

You can have a look there : cyclehome.artisan-online.fr/admin login/pwd : **/ **

Thanks for your reply !

plugins installed :

edit :
debug mode on

Has someone got an idea ?

Delete your cookie, some how it gets corrupted. Are you using multi user plugin?
I deleted my cookie (from firefox option), same result.

I don't kown where to find my cookies (Win7 64b / Firefox 10) to edit them.

I'm not using multi user plugin.

plugins installed :
I18N Base / I18N customfields / I18N gallery / I18N navigation / I18N search / I18N specialpages
@didou038: Is this the first time it has happened ? Are you sure that the server/hoster didn't have a problem ?

I know they are not directly responsible, but I would do something about the PHP errors before I started making a lot of content. Just because a site works for now, it doesn't mean that the errors can be ignored.
That's the 2nd time in 24 hours. After the first time, i've reinstall GS 3.1 completely !

Now, I found from where it's coming from.

"I18N base" Plugin seems to be the root cause.

I've deleted one by one all the plugins and retry to log me on after each deletion. While "I18N base" plugin was deleted, everything is working well.
I installed a fresh GS 3.1 / no "failedlogins.log" in data/other/logs
no plugins
no new pages, no new uploads, just the standard
I changed the created password
logged out, logged in, ok
I logged out
I deleted the cookies
"logged in" with wrong name or wrong password
no /data/other/failedlogins.log was created
I logged in correctly, in support it says "log file is empty" but there is no logfile
I uploaded an empty "failedlogins.log" to the data/other/logs, chmod 644
tried again with wrong data => no entry made
chmod 755
tried again with wrong data => no entry made

so I think there must be something wrong

the installation is correct:
I have this trouble too. GS was uprated from 3.0. When tray to login with correct login and pass nothing change (no error, no new record in log).
Delete all plugings - nothing change.
Any idea?
I replace directory "admin" from v.3.0 until GS programmers make patch.
Ok, well since we have 2 issues being reported here, can we maybe clarify or start a new thread on the logins failing issue.

This thread is about failed logins log file.

The failed logins log is only created and written to, when a login attempt is made for an existing user and the password is wrong. If you enter a random username it WILL NOT LOG the failure.

The file is not written to or created when a user doesn't exist. This is how it is coded in 3.1 by design.
And I believe it is very confusing and should be changed. But maybe some protection or log rotation will need to be added to prevent the log from becoming to large.

Regarding people with login issues. How does it fail ?
Do you get a redirect back to the login form, whats the url afterwards?
Do you get an error ? A blank page.

The only time iIhave seen this issue, is with a corrupt cookie that redirects over and over back to login page, this is called a login loop. Deleting the cookie fixes it. Although I haven't been able to reproduce it to find out the actual cause.
shawn_a Wrote:The only time iIhave seen this issue, is with a corrupt cookie that redirects over and over back to login page, this is called a login loop. Deleting the cookie fixes it. Although I haven't been able to reproduce it to find out the actual cause.

Yes, i have redirects over and over back to login page. But my browser clear all cookies when close. And on GS 3.0 i have successful login every time. GS 3.1 was installed one week ago, but have problem with login only today.
For me, I was unlog while I was trying to create a new page (cookie time expired). Since, I never could log me on again and I was always redirected, until I had deleted the plugin "I18N Base".
Cookies are deleted during I close FF.
dizz & didou038. I cannot repliciate these login issues. I agree with Shawn... why are these two problems mixed in this thread? This topic is about failed logins not being reported.
sorry ccagle8. I misunderstand the origin thread problem. I was thinking my problem was the same.
Sincerly sorry.