GetSimple Support Forum

Full Version: different pages with same slug (under different parents)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
previous version of my site has:

domain/parent1/slug.html
and
domain/parent2/slug.html

I'm trying to keep search engine results.

using the page http://get-simple.info/wiki/permalinks and some help from someone here I was able to get domain/parent1/slug.html to work

But upon creating a page with same name under parent2, GetSimple doesn't want to use domain/parent2/slug.html but instead adds "-1" -- i.e. domain/parent2/slug-1.html.

Is there a way to have two or more pages with same slug, as long as each one is under different parent?

Thanks
atstarr Wrote:Is there a way to have two or more pages with same slug, as long as each one is under different parent?
Not right now. Pages are saved by their slug and that does not take the parent into account. When you visit a page it only looks at the last part of the URL, again, it does not even look if there is a parent mentioned. I submitted a change for review (also on this forum) that would enable us to check the parent, but as of now there is nothing in GetSimple to support any of this.
Zegnåt Wrote:
atstarr Wrote:Is there a way to have two or more pages with same slug, as long as each one is under different parent?
Not right now. Pages are saved by their slug and that does not take the parent into account. When you visit a page it only looks at the last part of the URL, again, it does not even look if there is a parent mentioned. I submitted a change for review (also on this forum) that would enable us to check the parent, but as of now there is nothing in GetSimple to support any of this.

Thanks. For now I'll manually upload a file to domain/parent2/slug.html that redirects the user to domain/parent2/slugalternate.html so that people who are directed from search engines containing the old URL will still get to the correct page.

Thanks!
atstarr Wrote:For now I'll manually upload a file to domain/parent2/slug.html that redirects the user to domain/parent2/slugalternate.html
If you're willing to do that, consider putting rewrite directives in the root .htaccess file instead. Something like:
Code:
RewriteRule oldslug.php newslug [R=301,NC]
will do the redirection for you, as well as sending the 301 to the search engine, saying that it's moved permanently. AFAIK, that carries no penalty with, (at least) Google.