GetSimple Support Forum

Full Version: Either hide subdirectories or move installation to root
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've installed my GS website in a subdirectory

I'm about to give up trying to modify .htaccess to hide the subdirectory info from the URL. I can redirect (rewrite) just fine but once I get past the home page the subdirectory URLs show up:

http://www.mysite.com/GetSimple_3.1.1/pagename

Has anyone got a solution?

If not, how do I move the installation? Do I physically move the directory structure? Change some code someplace? I really don't have a clue.

Thanks for your help.

MPD
Did you create a .htaccess file containing:
Code:
RewriteEngine on
RewriteBase /GetSimple_3.1.1
and put it in root directory (above your GS install dir) ?
I tried about a half-dozen different .htaccess fixes, and most of them redirected me, but none of them got rid of the subdirectory name in anything other than the original (index) page (including the one you suggest, but thanks for it anyway).

I'm very frustrated at this point.

So now do I take out the files in the top folder (mysite.com/GetSimple_3.1.1/*) and move them into the www dir, and then move the rest of the directory structure under the www dir? I have a lot of work in this and I don't want to break anything. I know I'm going to have to fix some paths.

And what about the files for my current site, which are in www/ already? Just leave them?

MPD

yojoe Wrote:Did you create a .htaccess file containing:
Code:
RewriteEngine on
RewriteBase /GetSimple_3.1.1
and put it in root directory (above your GS install dir) ?
mpdeneen Wrote:I tried about a half-dozen different .htaccess fixes, and most of them redirected me, but none of them got rid of the subdirectory name in anything other than the original (index) page (including the one you suggest, but thanks for it anyway).

Did you set the WebSite Base URL in the GS admin settings to your site without the subdirectory?
It's in www.mysite.com/GetSimple_3.1.1 -- so that's what I put in the settings panel. Are you saying I should just put in www.mysite.com/? And it will automatically know where it lives?

MPD
mpdeneen Wrote:It's in www.mysite.com/GetSimple_3.1.1 -- so that's what I put in the settings panel. Are you saying I should just put in www.mysite.com/? And it will automatically know where it lives?

MPD

If you want the navigation links to be without directory, you have to set the base URL to the site name only (http://www.mysite.com), because the links are generated based on this base URL.