GetSimple Support Forum

Full Version: Repeatable Regions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've just started out using Get simple, and am very impressed so far.

The one question I have is, is it possible to create "repeatable regions/sections" which are assigned to certain pages.
I essentially want to achieve what you can from the plugin mentioned in this post http://get-simple.info/forum/topic/2639/...onschunks/ but I need to be able to create multiple item layouts that a user can choose from.

I guess an example would be http://www.webadaption.com/website-design-services.php if you look on this page, you can see 4 services. Ideally I would set these up generically so that you have 1 block of code that wraps around the content. The user can then say ok, on the services page I need to add another service, here is the title, description, bullet points and then submit. I have classes etc set-up which I then style with my CSS.

If you also take a look at another example I saw built with get simple cms ...had to remove the extra link but it was the simpsonsepisodes example site I saw in the forum, the "Most aired Episodes" could be repeatable chunks(they might already be that, not sure) but each one has the same layout/content etc so it would make sense for them to be repeatable.

Anyway, hope that makes sense, any insight would be great.

Thanks, JC
Have a closer look at extend.
You should find there suitable plugin.
yojoe Wrote:Have a closer look at extend.
You should find there suitable plugin.

Thanks for the reply. I've had a pretty good look at extend and have not found anything that fits my needs. I've tried using custom fields which is half way there but then I really need to be able to assign custom fields to specific pages so they don't show up everywhere, and have the ability to create a 'code snippet' custom field where I can wrap the user content around some html for example.

Don't get me wrong, I love this CMS, and I'm really keen to use it! I'm just trying to get a feel for what kind of sites I can use it for, as at the moment I can only see how I can use it for sites with very simple layouts.

Thanks, JC
Hello jonnyjc273,

Mvlcek's I18N Special Pages plugin combined with I18n Search should fulfil your needs. To give an example of how it would be applied to the Web Adaptation link you gave, this would be the set-up:
  • Create a special page type called 'Services'
  • For that special page type, create the additional fields you'll need for each service (e.g cost, duration, etc...) in its configuration panel
  • On your page that is supposed to output the 'repeated regions', use the I18N Search placeholder to only show items classed as services (e.g. (% searchresults tags='_special_services' %))
  • Under the 'VIEW' tab of the special page configuration panel you can style how the actual items will look on their individual pages
  • Under the 'SEARCH' tab of the special page configuration panel you can style how the items will be output on the 'Website Design Services' pages (the one with the placeholder - the "repeatable regions/sections").
  • Then go to Pages -> Create New Special Page -> Services and create a special page for each service that you want to define. They will each show up on the placeholder's page as a 'repeated region' (i.e. the same markup you've given them in the SEARCH tab)

If you need any help just ask me: I'm a Special Pages advocate and have no qualms with answering any questions. :-)

And if you use this method, I advise that you remove Custom Fields whilst doing so (unless you want to create new fields to exist for all of your pages), because mixing the two can be messy sometimes.
Hi Angryboy,

Thanks for the help, makes sense. Funnily enough, special pages actually helps in another way which is to allow me to define 'per page editable regions' too, rather than using custom fields that show up on every page. Is this the best way to build 'per page editable regions'? Say if I have a page that has 3 columns, and an intro section. I'd create a special page that would allow the user to use the main wysiwyg for the intro section then create 3 custom wysiwyg sections for each column. Would I then define in the template where these different sections would be output(a little like wordpress), I saw that you can also add php/html/css onto the special page but, I wasn't too sure how that works?

OK, other than that I'm going to get stuck in using get simple and see how I get on. My main focus is on creating something I feel 100% comfortable giving to a non technical client. I worry a little that once I start to use too many plugins, it might get confusing/tricky for clients who have no technical expertise.

JC
jonnyjc273 Wrote:Hi Angryboy,

Thanks for the help, makes sense. Funnily enough, special pages actually helps in another way which is to allow me to define 'per page editable regions' too, rather than using custom fields that show up on every page. Is this the best way to build 'per page editable regions'? Say if I have a page that has 3 columns, and an intro section. I'd create a special page that would allow the user to use the main wysiwyg for the intro section then create 3 custom wysiwyg sections for each column. Would I then define in the template where these different sections would be output(a little like wordpress), I saw that you can also add php/html/css onto the special page but, I wasn't too sure how that works?

OK, other than that I'm going to get stuck in using get simple and see how I get on. My main focus is on creating something I feel 100% comfortable giving to a non technical client. I worry a little that once I start to use too many plugins, it might get confusing/tricky for clients who have no technical expertise.

JC
Yes, JC. That is how you would use it for that purpose: to define where each section appears in the template you use the 'add php/html/css section' (the VIEW tab of the page configuration - don't be afraid of it, it works just like editing a regular template file except what you define doesn't change the entire template's layout) or create a completely separate template file with the set up you want and set that as the default template for that special page type. Either one works.
OK great, thanks for your help. I'll let you know how I get on.

JC
When using Special pages, it inserts a tag _special_services into the keywords field, which then shows up in the meta data? I assume this cannot be removed, when deleted it automatically repopulates. Do I need to create a custom field specifically for meta data so that it's clean and doesn't include this tag?
You can if you really want to keep your meta data clean but it is honestly harmless. Tags with the _ can be searched for but are never actually displayed on the pages themselves. I'd personally just leave it be.

If you seriously want itthough, just make sure that you make your new special field index-enabled for tags (you'll see a dropdown box with the option for this on the page that you're defining the fields).
Sure understood, I will probably leave them in there, just wanted to check that was normal.

I have another question, sorry, this time regarding independent menus.

http://mvlcek.bplaced.net/multi-level-na...-multiple/ I've had a look at this solution, have not been able to get it to work just yet, not too sure what I'm doing wrong. Are there any other solutions to creating multiple independent menus, that can be editable by the end user?