GetSimple Support Forum

Full Version: Why should I use GetSimple? (looking for answers)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all!
I'm looking for the best and light-weighted CMS for 2 websites of mine.
Now, I have no real server but a free one web hosting space account.
With that server I cannot run Wordpress, CMS Made Simple, Drupal and more because these are being super slow (long load times).
Now, I already used GetSimple before, but the weird thing is that one day - the perfect website of mine, just lost its design, I mean it lost its shape completely - it was a mess and I could not remake it.
Now my websites are: (I mean the ones I'm looking to make)
TDT - A design gallery, news blog and general info (also vid gallery)
PRCO - A news blog and a concept art gallery
NB - A virtual dynamic notebook for all my non-virtual design (on paper... in other words)

Why should I use GetSimple? Should I use another CMS? (get real with me, I'm almost desperate)
If I SHOULD use GetSimple, can you guide me through the creation by suggesting plugins and modifications (by the needs of each website..) ??

Thanks in advance,
TDT-Alpha (TheDragonTeam).
Sounds perfect for your sites.

You'll need a gallery plugin there are many depending on your specific needs.
And gsblog plugin is really good.

getsimple is xml file based, so no databse necessary . Databases are typically the bottleneck on shared hosting sites.

Provided your shared host has decent file io, you should see a noted improvement, and might want to even consider using a caching plugin for even more speed.

Feel free to visit my site, its all getsimple based.
Thanks for quick answer!
After the last website I made, I'm looking to the easiest way to make a website design in GetSimple (if I'm going to use it).
Any further suggestions?

Thanks
To convert any theme to getsimple, you only really need to insert 4 php function calls.

get_header()
get_navigation() i think
get_content()
get_footer()

So its really easy to template, the default theme is very good and there are many in the extend site.
so I make a main html which holds the design for the website,
put in the 4 PHP codes in place (under <?PHP> of course....)
and put my content? didn't know that before.. (if any more work - please explain and give details)
if its that simple, I'll make also NB (a virtual notebook based on images which are based on a real notebook full of art of mine) with GetSimple...
But last time I really needed to match up the CSS from the template, should I really start from scratch?
It'll be my first time to use CMS with a built-from-scratch-template Smile

Thanks!
I would start with a template, I think there is an html5 basic template or a grid one.
but with templates I worked 5 hours per website and it didn't go really well...
the 4 php function-style from-scratch making isn't good enough?
I know CSS and HTML very well, and I AM a designer...
I need the maximum customization...
Which way do you think I should go with?

Wow, you're fast.. THANKS so much for the assistance!
Oh then you just need to insert php functions into your design.
The templating system supports multiple templates per theme also if you have different pages that appear different.

Heres the wiki
http://get-simple.info/wiki/themes:creation

The hard part is if you want menu systems then you will want to use the i18n navigation plugin, which offers tons of output capabilities for menu display as lists which you can style.

Also if you want a sidebar or something you can use components to include that on your pages.
get_component(name);
components can contain php.
Thanks man!
I'm now installing a new server with my domain... waiting to a record to update....
Any suggestions for a free good server? (for GetSimple) (my last question for today >.<' )
(I need the server to support giving an A Record to my domain to direct it to the server.. some servers don't let it happen and they make me use their host records management which 90% of times sucks...)

THANKSSSSSS (boom)

EDIT:
How do I begin my own from-scratch design? I installed GetSimple but it already set its own template...
If you go to Data/themes/ you should see Innovation and Cardinal I think. If you want to creat your own theme I'd look at these first. If you're happy with the theme and just want to make minor changes you can go to theme in the admin panel, then on the side you can click edit theme and edit the header, footer, css file, most everything.