GetSimple Support Forum

Full Version: How To Manage Multiple Sites
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I don't use GetSimple yet but after installing a test version, it's looking mighty tempting. I took a look under the hood and the code is almost squeaky clean.

Currently my sites use WordPress multisite functionality and it makes upgrading both easy and hard. Easy, in that I just need to upgrade a single installation of WordPress and plugins. Hard, in that I need to do a lot of planning to make sure all the sites play nicely with the new versions.

For people who manage multiple instances of GetSimple, how do you guys manage these sites?

1. How do you handle GetSimple upgrades?
2. Is there a way to be notified of available updates?
2. Are there plugin update notifications?
3. How do you handle plugin upgrades?
4. Are there automated scripts or services to manage multiple sites?

I'm seriously thinking about changing but I need to think through the management costs (i.e. the time it'll take to manually upgrade each site). Thank you all for your input.
I wrote a script tha deploys updates from GitHub,annual is just as easy you just FTP over.

But in update check for core and plugins.

Plugins I always test first its fairly easy to swap on and out also there is a plugin updater plugin
(2013-03-27, 22:41:49)shawn_a Wrote: [ -> ]I wrote a script tha deploys updates from GitHub,annual is just as easy you just FTP over.

But in update check for core and plugins.

Plugins I always test first its fairly easy to swap on and out also there is a plugin updater plugin

Based on the upgrade process from 3.x to 3.2, all that needs to be done is replace /admin/ folder and index.php. This is something I can script but I'll have to tweak the script if the upgrade process changes.

Has the upgrade process been solidified?

Is there a way to poll each site, to see which upgrades (both core and plugins) are available? And is there a way to deploy specific plugin updates to specific sites?

P.S. This problem isn't new. WordPress users have had the same issues. Services popped up to address this (https://managewp.com/) and multisite functionality addressed it for many.
There is stuff in the wiki about automatic installing and updating through something called the SVN .

Is it still current ??
http://get-simple.info/wiki/how_to:svn_pull
(2013-03-28, 04:35:47)Timbow Wrote: [ -> ]There is stuff in the wiki about automatic installing and updating through something called the SVN .

Is it still current ??
http://get-simple.info/wiki/how_to:svn_pull

SVN is a version control system, typically used by developers. I'm not a programmer but I know enough to get myself in trouble, =).

The script creates a local copy of the codebase and uses it as the installation. During updates, it overwrites everything except /admin. It renames /admin (to something else) and creates a new copy of /admin.

I guess it would work. I would have to be careful not to make any customizations to the core files.

Thank you for that.
Install just goes over existing install.
There is no upgrade process.

Do not modify core files or themes!
(2013-03-28, 05:22:56)shawn_a Wrote: [ -> ]Install just goes over existing install.
There is no upgrade process.

Do not modify core files or themes!

What's the preferred method of making customizations in GetSimple?