GetSimple Support Forum

Full Version: GS basic package IPv6 compatibility?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

lately I stumbled over an IPv6 proxy service that helped me check my new GS site's IPv6 compatibility. My ISP supports IPv6 and the server log files are showing the entries. The site appearance is fine and I don't see obvious issues.

That made me think about GS' overall IPv6 compatibility. I didn't find something about that in the forum, though.

Variables like $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] are used in logs.php and in security_functions.php. I couldn't find too much information about how those behave with IPv6 and what functionality might get broken.

Is someone out there aware of any issues under IPv6 for the GS basic package (not the plugins)?

Thank you!
As far as I can tell, neither GS's nor any other PHP CMS/CMF/framework's proper functioning depends on the type of underlying network layer. As long as server and client can connect, everything will work.
(2014-01-03, 23:45:37)Everyone Wrote: [ -> ](...) As long as server and client can connect, everything will work.

Everyone,

Well, basically your statement is true. However, the IP address is used at a handful of places in the GS code. An that's exactly where the underlaying protocal actually matters.

For IPv6 the remote IP address format retrieved by PHP would look similar to this: 2600:3c00::f03c:91ff:fe93:dcd4, whereas for IPv4 it is something like 123.234.231.210. The composition of that string differs substantially.

Since that string is subsequentially used for e.g. hash calculation and other purposes, the format does matter, so in turn the underlaying protocol matters. If an unexpected format gets processed, PHP errors could be thrown.

What I saw when digging into the GS code is that regarding the basic package no problems should arise out of those differences. But I didn't dig deep, so that's why I was asking if anyone had more knowledge about potential problems arising out of IPv6.

Regards
as far as i'm aware we no longer use the ip address for hash calculation or elsewhere in the code...
n00dles101,

You are right, IP address usage for hash calculation purposes has been removed starting from version 3.2.2 whereas usage for logging is still in but doesn't cause issues. Thanks.

Regards