GetSimple Support Forum

Full Version: chmod or ownership issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi!

A while back I was running a website in test mode on my own host, and everything worked like a charm. Fast, reliable, really great. But about a month ago I tranfered the website to its definitive domain, on another host. Since then, I can't get it to run fully.

Whenever I update files in the CMS (pages) the ownership if the files changes, and they won't be written to disc. I changed the chmod and ownership if the files manually (right on the server) and that seemed to work, but not in all cases. With the Newsmanager plugin, I would get the Change chmod to 777 error, even though the actual changes did get written to their respective files.

To try and solve this again today, I changed the chmod of all the files to 755, and after that didn't work, 777. Yet, again, I can't save anything anymore.

I have full access to this new server and am able to change anything and all settings, but I'm not sure what I'd have to do to get my site to run flawlessly. Any ideas?
I am assuming you do not have this issue with new pages you create? Only ones you copied up ?
Did you try a fresh GS install in that host? Without plugins, to test if everything works (page creation, etc.) before transfering data, plugins...
The hosting co easily.co.uk make a similar mess of permissions. I don't know how they have done it. It looks like you can chmod as normal through ftp but then you get messages which say chmod has been disabled 'for security reasons', GS health check seems okay but you can't get rid of constant warning messages reporting failed saves, although the site is editable and the saves work. You aren't on easily are you?
I used to have a host that would change my owners randomly.
you might be able to get around some issues by changing the gschmod to something more appropriate that is allowed on your host.
(2014-01-21, 03:29:21)shawn_a Wrote: [ -> ]I am assuming you do not have this issue with new pages you create? Only ones you copied up ?

At this moment (after I changed the file permissions to 777 through filezilla) I can't even create new pages...

(2014-01-21, 04:59:08)Carlos Wrote: [ -> ]Did you try a fresh GS install in that host? Without plugins, to test if everything works (page creation, etc.) before transfering data, plugins...

I did not Sad I checked the if the site was up, if I could log in to admin and if the menu and things worked, then I just transfered all the plugins and data.

(2014-01-21, 05:23:03)Timbow Wrote: [ -> ]The hosting co easily.co.uk make a similar mess of permissions. I don't know how they have done it. It looks like you can chmod as normal through ftp but then you get messages which say chmod has been disabled 'for security reasons', GS health check seems okay but you can't get rid of constant warning messages reporting failed saves, although the site is editable and the saves work. You aren't on easily are you?

No, I am on a privately owned server, so no customer service even Wink
(2014-01-21, 05:35:08)shawn_a Wrote: [ -> ]I used to have a host that would change my owners randomly.

So far it doesn't look like the ownership changes randomly, at least it doesn't change by itself. It does "randomly" (after an edit or so) change to www-data.

(2014-01-21, 05:36:43)shawn_a Wrote: [ -> ]you might be able to get around some issues by changing the gschmod to something more appropriate that is allowed on your host.

What do you mean by this? GetSimple CHMOD, is that a setting within the CMS, or a server based option?
Aight, we've changed some settings directly on the server, CHMOD is now correct and I can save articles again. So I've got that going for me. Which is nice.

Gimme a minute to check on the plugins...

Edit:
Okay, so after a CHMOD change (necessary folders and files are now 770) I can create, edit and save articles, upload images and change templates and css through the CMS. When I try to change the settings (site name for example) I get a change to CHMOD 777 error. This also happens when I try to edit newsarticles through NewsManager plugin. The files save okay, but there's visual feedback, which will be confusing for the end-user - which is not me.

I get something like (translated): Error: Can't save changes. CHMOD 777 the folders /data, /backups and underlying files and try again.
you should post what worked in case anyone else need it
All I did was change the CHMOD permissions right on the server, not through Filezilla or another program but right within Debian. They're all set to 770 and it works... (owner and groups are allowed read, write and execute, public is denied everything)

Well, it works as in, I can create, edit and save files. I get errors when I try to save newsarticles with News Manager, or CMS settings. These errors mention the CHMOD 777 permission, but the changes are written to file anyway. I still would like to solve those issues as well, but the website works for now.
oh yeah php almost never runs as the same user as your ftp login

gschmod is the chmod gs uses for files it is set in your gsconfig
I changed that to say override CHMOD 770, but it doesn't change anyhting in behaviour that I'm aware of...
There is a known bug if chmod is disabled.
But this usually does save just throws errors.

And 3.3.0 has a health check for chmod

https://github.com/GetSimpleCMS/GetSimpleCMS/issues/627
(2014-01-21, 08:50:45)shawn_a Wrote: [ -> ]There is a known bug if chmod is disabled.
But this usually does save just throws errors.

And 3.3.0 has a health check for chmod

https://github.com/GetSimpleCMS/GetSimpleCMS/issues/627

Nice! I'll have a look at the health check tonight! Big Grin