GetSimple Support Forum

Full Version: Replacing xml page files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I have a dilemma. Today I was tasked with updating content for two pages. I did that. Now my boss is asking for me to revert back to the old pages prior to my updates.

I see one of the page backups in the backups section but not the other. Luckily though I have codeguard which backs up daily.

Could I just simply take the prior xml files and overwrite the ones I just did?

Would that mess anything up?

Many thanks!
Are you editing xml files directly ?

Backup and restore is automatically handled when using the cms itself.
There is no accommodation or handling of file edits.
Also backup only keeps the last previously saved version.
(2014-04-04, 04:56:23)shawn_a Wrote: [ -> ]Are you editing xml files directly ?

Backup and restore is automatically handled when using the cms itself.
There is no accommodation or handling of file edits.

Nope I'm using the management system to edit the pages. I did my normal routine of editing then saving. I have to revert back to the prior versions if there are any.

When I looked in the 'page backups' I did see one of the pages I had edited. So I could restore that one but I do not see an older version of the other page I edited.

So i was thinking I could just take an old xml file of that page and just overwrite it manually in the DATA > PAGES xml file directory with an old version. Since I can get an old version
ok its all good!!! I was able to just manually overwrite the XML files in the DATA>PAGES directory with the older versions. No problems.
yeah no problem there, you should be fine.
(2014-04-04, 06:08:58)shawn_a Wrote: [ -> ]yeah no problem there, you should be fine.

You might experience problems, if you use any caches, e.g. GetSimple's page caching, I18N navigation, I18N Search: those caches will not be updated, if you just replace the XML files.
In most cases the caches will be updated, if after changing the XML files you edit and save any page (e.g. add a space at the end).