GetSimple Support Forum

Full Version: Two different language NewsManager
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

i am trying to add an english part to my existing website. These plugins are installed:

1. I18N Base
2. I18N
3. NewsManager

I want to implement an english News-sidebar as well. The NewsManager plugin only provides a setup for one language, as far as I know. Therefore I downloaded the multilange NewsManager from this entry in the forum, but i messes up completly. Are there other possibilities to get the result I want?

TheMK
(2014-06-17, 22:39:19)themk Wrote: [ -> ]Hello,

i am trying to add an english part to my existing website. These plugins are installed:

1. I18N Base
2. I18N
3. NewsManager

I want to implement an english News-sidebar as well. The NewsManager plugin only provides a setup for one language, as far as I know. Therefore I downloaded the multilange NewsManager from this entry in the forum, but i messes up completly. Are there other possibilities to get the result I want?

TheMK

That url directs to a topic from 2011, I think it's from the old news manager from Roog. Carlos supports and updates the plugin now. Maybe you can better ask this over here: http://get-simple.info/forums/showthread.php?tid=3972
News Manager (updated) is still a one-language plugin.

With some workarounds (using tags for langs, some conditionals in the template, .htaccess tweaking, etc.) you can emulate a multilanguage news site with it (TeeJay does in his site http://tomasjanecek.cz/ - I can search for the post where he explains how) but it's a rather advanced setup.

For multilanguage news/blog I think the best option is I18N Search and/or I18N Special Pages.
Another good one might be the Matrix Blog plugin, but I'm not sure if it's stable enough (and if it's still being mantained).
The Pages & Comments plugin might also be worth a look (though you'd probably have to use different pages for each language).

That multilanguage News Manager version you downloaded seems to be a patched one based on old version 2.2.4 (which has some issues that have been fixed in 2.2.5 and later), and still needs more patches to adapt it to your own languages.
Thanks a lot for your help!

My solution for now is to work with tags (I use the language-tag (like 'en') as tag and only show posts with language tag) as one of your suggestions. Therefore i edited the news manager show_post, the way I want it.
Finally, I would like to ask how i can get the current language of the page? I know how to change it using return_i18n_setlang_url, but dont know how to "read" the current language. Is there a proper function to get the language?

Thanks again for the help! Smile
(2014-06-24, 23:14:19)themk Wrote: [ -> ]TFinally, I would like to ask how i can get the current language of the page? I know how to change it using return_i18n_setlang_url, but dont know how to "read" the current language. Is there a proper function to get the language?

There is a global variable with the language:
Code:
<?php
global $language;
?>
(2014-06-25, 03:38:44)mvlcek Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-06-24, 23:14:19)themk Wrote: [ -> ]TFinally, I would like to ask how i can get the current language of the page? I know how to change it using return_i18n_setlang_url, but dont know how to "read" the current language. Is there a proper function to get the language?

There is a global variable with the language:
Code:
<?php
global $language;
?>

Thanks a lot!