GetSimple Support Forum

Full Version: custom installation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am setting up a package for use as event sites These sites have basically the same set up about 4-5 pages (schedules, maps, site rules etc.) a group of templates and the same types of plugins including maps and facebook links.

I would like to create a generic package that will allow someone to download the compressed file. when installed the pages are already built. they then simply need to fill in the custom content.

Any ideas?
Copy your site
Extract a new install over it.

Zip up.

You probably want to delete the website.xml and users files, and authentication xml. So they have to go through setup.
Interesting. So if I wanted to donate a blog theme which was all set up with the plugins and the sample posts I could do it like that?
I find website.xml and authorization.xml in data/other - that's what you mean I think?
I would use github and fork stable, so you can just merge in updates, its kind of what svn is for.
Then maintain your own repo that you can modify any way you please but can always merge in core files.

You want to remove those files because they are what flags a site as already installed. You also do not want duplicate salts out there so keep them out of gsconfig also.

Now i am not exactly sure what will happen to a plugins.xml file on install if it exists, but it will probably keep it in tact with plugins activated already etc. Not tested though. We also try to activate the default plugins automatically, which could throw errors if you remove them. Again untested.

dito for components.xml

so for a quick test this is what needs to be done to make an install reinstallable.

re-add the 3 install scripts that are deleted after install.
remove website.xml

This will trigger an install when visiting the backend, just like new.
Great Idea

Could be a new way to offer a theme over github with a few standard pages for customization.