GetSimple Support Forum

Full Version: Remove Hyperlink for page being displayed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all! I am trying to get a hyperlink to NOT be displayed when I am viewing the page that the link in the sidebar is for.

For example, when I click on the 'Contact Us' link in the sidebar, the contactus page is loaded fine, but the sidebar still shows it as a valid link. I would like to remove the link for the page you are visiting from the sidebar. I want the text to be visible, but I do not want it to be an actual hyperlink. When 'Home' or any other link is clicked, I would like the Contact Us link to be valid again.

Am I explaining myself clearly?

I have been out of site design\work since about 2001, so my skills are rusty and outdated, but I am NOT looking for someone to just do it for me, just a push in the right direction or something.

Thanks all.
aside from making your own function to do this in php, you might have some luck targeting it with css by class "contactus" or whatnot and using css to disable mouse events or some other way.

you could also use javascript to strip it.
(2015-04-18, 06:44:13)shawn_a Wrote: [ -> ]aside from making your own function to do this in php, you might have some luck targeting it with css by class "contactus" or whatnot and using css to disable mouse events or some other way.

you could also use javascript to strip it.

Thank you, sir! I will tinker with it between meetings and see what I can come up with. I'll be sure to post\share any code that I end up using in case others want the same thing.

Cheers!
no anchor on current page's entry in a menu is how it should be..

i would suggest looking at i18n's navigation plugin, modifying its menu output function, and then submitting the changes to that plugin's author for inclusion in their next version.
actually i disagree a menu is a menu all items should be links, i use them all the time for refreshing pages or going back to known states.

To have a list of links, in which some are not actually links is bad UI
(2015-04-18, 11:56:46)shawn_a Wrote: [ -> ]actually i disagree a menu is a menu all items should be links, i use them all the time for refreshing pages or going back to known states.

i disagree, and so do many others. semantically it is wrong to have a link to the current page active in the menu. same thing applies to the last crumb (current page) in a breadcrumb trail
how so, what detriment does it cause, it can only provide a benefit. It seems like one of those absolutely pointless things people deliberate over and over more than its worth. It is probably some old SEO self linking BS, that nothing even actually cares about.

Thinks like this make sense in a single state device, such as tabbed inteface, but web pages are seperate entities accesed via hyperlinks

Now if we are talking about whether parents or top level items of a nested list should link to anything , that's another issue entirely.
( yes if parents are index pages for subgroups, but ultimately a matter of choice and convenience. )
i remember reading it in several places, and it's what i have always done since. off the top of my head here as i type.. you have it's easier to distinguish it (an entry you that you wont ever use) from the others in the menu or trail; you have to consider those who view pages without style sheets or via non traditional or non graphical browsers; screen readers would waste time describing a link the user would not use; helps with tabbing through links and such on a page to not have tab stop on that menu or trail element.

agreed though that there are more important things to do or not do than this.. such as requiring scripting to see or use a menu, or even just to see page content.
(2015-04-18, 11:56:46)shawn_a Wrote: [ -> ]actually i disagree a menu is a menu all items should be links, i use them all the time for refreshing pages or going back to known states.

Then I wonder why this feature request was totally ignored:
GS UI - active sub menu-links clickable