GetSimple Support Forum

Full Version: Repeating lists HELP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want my client to fill in his education and employment details himself. I have made a unsorted list for it which has div boxes in it. I can't seem to find a way so that the data the user inputs like date, post etc. and it automatically gets added in the list.
I'm talking about like a repeatable region but the client should be edit his previous data and add new data to the region also
Guys any help please?
Not totally sure what the problem is.

You want a list with each list item comprised of several fields like Date, Title, Description,? And you want to be able to enter the field data in boxes in the back end and for it all to be formatted in the front end?
(2015-04-24, 16:48:27)Timbow Wrote: [ -> ]Not totally sure what the problem is.

You want a list with each list item comprised of several fields like Date, Title, Description,? And you want to be able to enter the field data in boxes in the back end and for it all to be formatted in the front end?

Yes you are right. What I basically want is like a timeline of the guy's education history and stuff.
I want actually like those portfolio websites. I got the structure done. But when the person has to enter details regarding his education and the places he has worked it's becoming a problem. Since the <lil> tag needs to repeat with all the div boxes inside it.

Any plugins or ideas on how it could be done.
One of these plugins I think:

i18n custom fields (you probably want/need a different template file for this page)
i18n special pages
gs custom settings

Btw. what's the <lil> tag you mention? You probably mean <li>
(2015-04-24, 18:39:25)datiswous Wrote: [ -> ]One of these plugins I think:

i18n custom fields (you probably want/need a different template file for this page)
i18n special pages
gs custom settings

Btw. what's the <lil> tag you mention? You probably mean <li>

Yes the <li> tag but how do I use those plugins to get the output I need. I have tried those plugins and not succeeded yet 
Last days I have been testing the GS Custom Settings plugin. Here you can see an example:

[attachment=553]

This means these settings are centralised in one place instead of in the specific page. Depending on how you want it organised, this can be handy. Also it has multi-user permission settings.

In Custom fields plugin it works similar, but you do the edits in the page.
I don't understand what you mean with a timeline, can you give an example?
(2015-04-24, 21:28:37)datiswous Wrote: [ -> ]I don't understand what you mean with a timeline, can you give an example?

http://rbista.com/demos/zwin/ 

If you check out the resume section there is an employment and education space. It's a list I want it such that my client can fill it up on his own. The client doesn't have programming knowledge that's the problem
(2015-04-24, 21:46:29)Antariksh Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-04-24, 21:28:37)datiswous Wrote: [ -> ]I don't understand what you mean with a timeline, can you give an example?

If you check out the resume section there is an employment and education space. It's a list I want it such that my client can fill it up on his own. The client doesn't have programming knowledge that's the problem

In the source of that page I see:
Code:
<!-- Personal info section -->
                   <ul class="personal-info">
                        <li><label>Name</label><span>Anderson smith</span></li>
                       <li><label>Birthday</label><span>March 13, 1988</span></li>
                       <li><label>Address</label><span>Melbourne Victoria 3000 Australia</span></li>
                       <li><label>Email</label><span class="word-wrap">Anderson.smith@gmail.com</span></li>
                       <li><label>Phone</label><span>+123 456 789 111</span></li>
                       <li><label>Website</label><span class="word-wrap"><a href="#">www.Andersonsmith.com</a></span></li>
                   </ul>

Now if I use that in comination with the plugin (in the plugin I make settings named birthday, address, etc.) , I get:

Code:

<li><label>Name</label><span><?php get_setting('portfolio','name'); ?></span></li>
<li><label>Birthday</label><span><?php get_setting('portfolio','birthday'); ?></span></li>
<li><label>Address</label><span><?php get_setting('portfolio','address'); ?></span></li>
<li><label>Email</label><span class="word-wrap"><?php get_setting('portfolio','email'); ?></span></li>
<li><label>Phone</label><span><?php get_setting('portfolio','tel_numbr'); ?></span></li>
<li><label>Website</label><span class="word-wrap"><a href="#"><?php get_setting('portfolio','website'); ?></a></span></li>

</ul>
The person can fill in these settings to get the needed result.
(2015-04-24, 22:40:57)datiswous Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-04-24, 21:46:29)Antariksh Wrote: [ -> ]

In the source of that page I see:

Code:
                        <li><label>Name</label><span>Anderson smith</span></li>
                       <li><label>Birthday</label><span>March 13, 1988</span></li>
                       <li><label>Address</label><span>Melbourne Victoria 3000 Australia</span></li>
                       <li><label>Email</label><span class="word-wrap">Anderson.smith@gmail.com</span></li>
                       <li><label>Phone</label><span>+123 456 789 111</span></li>
                       <li><label>Website</label><span class="word-wrap"><a href="#">www.Andersonsmith.com</a></span></li>
                   </ul>

Now if I use that in comination with the plugin (in the plugin I make settings named birthday, address, etc.) , I get:

Code:

<li><label>Name</label><span><?php get_setting('portfolio','name'); ?></span></li>
<li><label>Birthday</label><span><?php get_setting('portfolio','birthday'); ?></span></li>
<li><label>Address</label><span><?php get_setting('portfolio','address'); ?></span></li>
<li><label>Email</label><span class="word-wrap"><?php get_setting('portfolio','email'); ?></span></li>
<li><label>Phone</label><span><?php get_setting('portfolio','tel_numbr'); ?></span></li>
<li><label>Website</label><span class="word-wrap"><a href="#"><?php get_setting('portfolio','website'); ?></a></span></li>

</ul>
The person can fill in these settings to get the needed result.

I'm talking about this 

Code:
<div class="timeline-section">
                       <!-- Timeline for Employment  -->  
                       <h3 class="main-heading">Employment</h3>  
                       <ul class="timeline">
                           <li>

<div class="timelineUnit">
                                   <h4>Manager<span class="timelineDate">2010 - Present</span></h4>
                                   <h5>Ligula Non Lectus</h5>
                                   <p>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscingVivamus sit amet ligula non lectus cursus egestas. Cras erat lorem, fringilla quis sagittis in, sagittis inNam leo tortor Nam leo tortor Vivamus.</p>
                               </div>
                           </li>
                           <li>

<h4>Web Developer<span class="timelineDate">2008 - 2010</span></h4>
                                   <h5>Lorem ipsum</h5>
                                   <p>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing Vivamus sit amet ligula non lectus. amet ligula non lectus Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing</p>
                               </div>
                           </li>
                           <li>

<h4>Web Designer<span class="timelineDate">2007</span></h4>
                                   <h5>Consectetur adipiscing </h5>
                                   <p>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing Vivamus sit Vivamus sit. Vivamus sit.. consectetur adipiscing Vivamus sit. Vivamus sit </p>
                               </div>
                           </li>
                           <div class="clear"></div>
                       </ul>
                       <!-- /Timeline for Employment  -->

<!-- Timeline for Education  -->  
                       <h3 class="main-heading">Education</h3>  
                        <ul class="timeline">
                           <li>            
                                   <h4>Graphic Design<span class="timelineDate">2010 - 2012</span></h4>
                                   <h5>School Of Design</h5>
                                   <p>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing Vivamus sit amet ligula non lectus.consectetur adipiscingVivamus sit amet </p>
                               </div>
                           </li>
                           <li>            
                                   <h4>Graphic Design<span class="timelineDate">2009</span></h4>
                                   <h5>School of the Arts</h5>
                                   <p>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, adipiscing elit. egestas.Vivamus sit amet ligula non lectus cursus egestas amet ligula non lectus cursus egestas. </p>
                               </div>
                           </li>
                           <div class="clear"></div>
                       </ul>
                       <!-- /Timeline for Education  -->              
                   </div>
Code:
<li>

<h4>Manager<span class="timelineDate">2010 - present</span></h4>
                                  <h5>Ligula Non Lectus</h5>
                                  <p>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscingVivamus sit amet ligula non lectus cursus egestas. Cras erat lorem, fringilla quis sagittis in, sagittis inNam leo tortor Nam leo tortor Vivamus.</p>
                              </div>
                          </li>

Code:
<li>

<h4><?php get_setting('portfolio','job'); ?><span class="timelineDate"><?php get_setting('portfolio','job_period'); ?></span></h4>
                                  <h5><?php get_setting('portfolio','subtitle'); ?></h5>
                                  <p><?php get_setting('portfolio','job_description'); ?></p>
                              </div>
                          </li>
Have you tried that?
Have you considered making each section a different page? Then use the I18N Search plugin to display the sections as a single page (in a list).

Each (section) page has the same tag and you search on the tag. You can order the search results by menu order, so sections can be placed in the correct order by drag & drop (I18N Navigation), which is easy for the end user to do. I18N Search allows you to display the search results using custom code.