GetSimple Support Forum

Full Version: Changing the homepage
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

Let's say I have a site with pages A, B and C.
A is currently the homepage. I'd like to make B the homepage.
I could not find how to do that. Is there a way t make page B the "index" page ?
(I am using 3.3.7)

I must also say that I did not really see the use of the "toggle status" button, in the Page Management. It displays which page is a menu item, and which page is the homepage, but does not really allow to toggle anything.
What am I missing ?
Thanks!

ps: by the way I was really delighted to discover the simplicity, power and speed of GetSimple.
I am now decided to migrate  my small company site from CMS Made Simple (and its nightmare upgrade issues) to GetSimple.

1. In your GS install, go to /data/pages/
  2. Make a backup of the index.xml file and the new file you would want to make your homepage.
  3. Rename index.xml to its new page name, and also change the field (inside that file) <url><![CDATA[index]]></url> to the same as the page name.
  4. For the new file you want to be homepage, rename to index.xml and change the field to <url><![CDATA[index]]></url>
(2015-09-06, 00:41:51)Tyblitz Wrote: [ -> ]
  2. Make a backup of the index.xml file and the new file you would want to make your homepage.
  3. Rename index.xml to its new page name, and also change the field (inside that file) <url><![CDATA[index]]></url> to the same as the page name.
  4. For the new file you want to be homepage, rename to index.xml and change the field to <url><![CDATA[index]]></url>

Thanks Tyblitz. Your solutions worked well, except that if I now try to edit the new homepage page, it gives me an error when trying to save: Error: edit.
Then you must have skipped a step/ done something wrong. I just tested, it works.
If you edit it manually you could have changed permissions.
Either way changing the index is not really supported, you are better off setting up a redirect if this is something you will be doing often.
(2015-09-11, 06:09:38)shawn_a Wrote: [ -> ]If you edit it manually you could have changed permissions.
Either way changing the index is not really supported, you are better off setting up a redirect if this is something you will be doing often.

If that's the case, using the method I mentioned above & setting file/ folder permissions manually via Filezilla or similar FTP tool should work, no?
(2015-09-11, 06:09:38)shawn_a Wrote: [ -> ]If you edit it manually you could have changed permissions.

It might well be a permissions issue. All my other pages (created using GetSimple administration) have an invalid owner called "http", which I can't assign to the modified index page, since user http does not exist on my Synology NAS. 
Grrr... I  Heart my Syno, but I hate those Linux permissions which are beyond any logic. 
(2015-09-10, 06:03:34)PatDeLux Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-09-06, 00:41:51)Tyblitz Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks Tyblitz. Your solutions worked well, except that if I now try to edit the new homepage page, it gives me an error when trying to save: Error: edit.
I finally got it right by using another editor, which does not change the file permissions (Caret, for instance).