GetSimple Support Forum

Full Version: Child Menus
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can someone please point me to some documentation or examples of how the menus are _supposed_ to work.

I want (for example) under the menu item "About" to have three pages. One is the basic "About" for the company - this should link directly from the menu bar. The other two are pages for each of the principals - "Fred" and "Barnie" and they should be children of "About".

For the "About" page I selected <No Parent> and "Add to menu". So far so good - it appears in the menu bar. I then set "Fred" to have "About"  as its parent.

If I then select "Add to menu" it doesn't appear as a sub menu item but rather appears on the main menu bar. OK - so I deselect "Add to menu" and refresh the page. There is now no menu item for "Fred" at all.

If I go back and select "Add to menu" again - but change the page's priority to be 1 higher than its parent page - whoopppeee - a little down arrow appears on the "About" menu item and "Fred" is correctly positioned as a child item.

That joy is short-lived however. If I make the same change to "Barnie" the page is not added as a child to the "About" menu item but rather appears as a separate main menu item AND - to make matters worse - "Fred" is now a child of both "About" and "Barnie" which makes no sense to me. I have tried setting the priority to the same value as "Fred" - I have tried it one higher - no difference.

I understand that I can get other menuing plugins - but I just want to get an understanding of the basics before moving on.

Can somebody point me in the right direction please.
Getsimple does not support multilevel menus, you have to write your own functions or use a plugin
(2017-03-17, 02:43:27)shawn_a Wrote: [ -> ]Getsimple does not support multilevel menus, you have to write your own functions or use a plugin

OK - thanks.

Any recommendation for a suitable candidate for a newbie with basic needs?

Also can I take it that the fact that I _am_ seeing a secondary level menu, albeit one that is incorrect when more than one child is added, is a function of the SimpleBootsstrap theme and I need to ask the authors of that theme?
(2017-03-19, 05:04:29)JonBoy49 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-03-17, 02:43:27)shawn_a Wrote: [ -> ]Getsimple does not support multilevel menus, you have to write your own functions or use a plugin

OK - thanks.  

Also can I take it that the fact that I _am_ seeing a secondary level menu, albeit one that is incorrect when more than one child is added, is a function of the SimpleBootsstrap theme and I need to ask the authors of that theme?

We need better guidance for this because it comes up again and again and it isn't always easy to understand. I am going to write something in the wiki. 

In the GS backend you see in Page Options the option to define a page a the child of another. That will give the page the url parent\child but it won't sort out your site navigation. 

In your page template, GS's get_navigation() tag inserts a simple html list of links to pages marked for inclusion in the nav menu regardless of their child/parent status. You need a plugin to do anything more. Typically you might want to make nested <ul> elements for levels of navigation, but not always. Sometimes you might need different levels displayed in different places, maybe by full page title, maybe as <p> elements.

To display the nested lists (or separate lists or whatever) you then need the right css in your theme.

I18N is the most used plugin for multi-level navigation, but there are also a couple of simpler plugins in extend. The I18N instructions are here:
 http://mvlcek.bplaced.net/get-simple/mul...navigation
(2017-03-19, 08:41:56)Timbow Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-03-19, 05:04:29)JonBoy49 Wrote: [ -> ]

OK - thanks.  

We need better guidance for this because it comes up again and again and it isn't always easy to understand. I am going to write something in the wiki. 

<snip>

Thank you Timbow - perhaps when you have written it up you could post back here. In the meantime I will follow up on your suggestions.

Not a suggestion to you as much as a general thought. But it would be nice if any theme developers could identify more clearly when they support things like multi-level menuing options, use Bootstrap, etc.

Thanks again.
http://get-simple.info/wiki/multi-level_navigation

Feel free to edit. An image or two would improve it .