GetSimple Support Forum
News Manager - Printable Version

+- GetSimple Support Forum (http://get-simple.info/forums)
+-- Forum: GetSimple (http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Plugins (http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: News Manager (/showthread.php?tid=1056)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

News Manager - polyfragmented - 2011-07-31

2. You can find a list of NM's styles on the plugin's demo site: http://rxgr.nl/newsmanager/

You can style the CSS classes in your theme's CSS file. You can find the editable file for the standard Innovation theme in GS' backend:
Code:
Tab "Theme" -> Edit Theme -> style.css in the dropdown field at the top

This will open the file right there in a text field where you can enter NM's post CSS (see above again)

If you're more into using FTP or a FTP-enabled Texteditor (like Komodo Edit or Aptana, ...), you can find the style.css for innovation in the following path:
Code:
/theme/Innovation/style.css

News Manager - polyfragmented - 2011-07-31

A user notified me of a problem he's got with News Manager's URLs when using a certain permalink structure. I've encountered the same behaviour on a new site. A structure such as

Code:
%parent%/%slug%.html

does not work with NM's rewrite rules. NM seems to expect the standard

Code:
%parent%/%slug%/

so the URLs to invidual posts don't work. Can someone mod_rewrite-savvy help us out? Putting a / at the end of the first permalink structure makes the blog posts work, but obviously adds a / to every page, e.g. www.domain.tld/links.html/.

NM'S default rewrite rules:

Code:
# Newsmanager
RewriteRule ^blog/tag/([^/.]+)/?$ index.php?id=blog&tag=$1 [L]
RewriteRule ^blog/post/([^/.]+)/?$ index.php?id=blog&post=$1 [L]
RewriteRule ^blog/page/([^/.]+)/?$ index.php?id=blog&page=$1 [L]
RewriteRule ^blog/archive/([^/.]+)/?$ index.php?id=blog&archive=$1 [L]

Any help is appreciated.

News Manager - allienato - 2011-08-01

Hi, the site I'm working on is hosted on Windows shared server.
after migration from localhost, when I edit an entry in News Manager, it re-create (almost all the times) a new one with a different name. for example:

newstitle.xml
edit&save -> newstitle-1.xml
edit&save -> newstitle-1-1.xml

is this problem related with file permissions (on Windows I have 777 on folders and 666 on files)?
cUrl and ZipArchive are disabled, don't know if does matters.

with normal GS pages the problem doesn't occur

News Manager - Connie - 2011-08-01

I think this is no problem of the server, I remember I had that situation as well

News Manager - allienato - 2011-08-02

I've just commented these lines of code, for now:

Code:
if (file_exists($file)) {
    $count = 1;
    $file = NMPOSTPATH . "$slug-$count.xml";
    while (file_exists($file))
      $file = NMPOSTPATH . "$slug-" . ++$count . '.xml';
    $slug = basename($file, '.xml');
  }

@Connie: don't know, on my localhost seems to work well and on another linux server too..

News Manager - polyfragmented - 2011-08-02

I use NM's excerpt feature which sometimes cuts off German umlauts (or other entities) at $len so that the output looks like

Code:
sich je anstrengender körperlicher Bet&au..

May look like an error to users, can we prevent this from happening?

News Manager - webmonkeyukcom - 2011-08-06

Any ideas how I can incorporate the Social Icons Plugin - either Chris's original one or the latest one by Nokes
Into this news manager, at the minute I have it setup and it only displays on the actually news page, but I wish for each news item to have its own set of social links

News Manager - lanooz - 2011-08-06

roog Wrote:(...)
@lanooz: you'll have to modify the function nm_list_recent() in news_manager/inc/sidebar.php and make it print the post content (or part of it) too.(...)

as a php adept i failed trying to modify it. could you help me out? (to have title and the whole content of the post in the sidebar)

News Manager - Alessio_roma - 2011-08-20

@roog: you have an email

News Manager - felicity24 - 2011-08-21

Alessio_roma Wrote:@roog: you have an email

can you explain me 2? thanks

News Manager - Connie - 2011-08-21

felicity24 Wrote:can you explain me 2? thanks

Felicity, private mails are private mails and senseless postings give the impression of spam postings ;=)

Cheers, Connie

News Manager - fabsn - 2011-08-24

hi there.
i use the excerpt function to shorten news on the overview page. i now want to add a link which links to the full version (as the headline already does). Something like a linked [read more] instead of just [...] plain text

i tried something by adding the following in the function nm_show_post (site.php)

Code:
<div class="nm_post_content"><?php echo $content; ?></div>
      <?php

echo '<a href="';
        echo $url;
        echo '">read more</a>';

# print tags, if any
      if (!empty($post->tags)) {

this causes the correctly linked text under every news excerpt, but also at the end of every news itself.

i then tried to add some code in the function nm_create_excerpt (functions.php)

Code:
/*******************************************************
* @function nm_create_excerpt
* @param $content the post content
* @return a truncated version of the post content
*/
function nm_create_excerpt($content) {
  global $NMEXCERPTLENGTH;
  $len = intval($NMEXCERPTLENGTH);
  $content = strip_tags($content);
  $url     = nm_get_url('post') . $slug;

if (strlen($content) > $len) {
    if (function_exists('mb_substr'))
      $content = trim(mb_substr($content, 0, $len, 'UTF-8')) . ' [<a href="'. $url . '">read more]</a>';
    else
      $content = trim(substr($content, 0, $len)) . ' [...]' . $url;      
  }
  return "<p>$content</p>";
}

this adds the link ".../index.php?id=blog&post="
but the last part of the url is missing.

Could somebody help me with this? Thanks in advance Smile

News Manager - mikeh - 2011-08-24

fabsn Wrote:hi there.
i use the excerpt function to shorten news on the overview page. i now want to add a link which links to the full version (as the headline already does). Something like a linked [read more] instead of just [...] plain text

i tried something by adding the following in the function nm_show_post (site.php)

Code:
<div class="nm_post_content"><?php echo $content; ?></div>
      <?php

echo '<a href="';
        echo $url;
        echo '">read more</a>';

# print tags, if any
      if (!empty($post->tags)) {

this causes the correctly linked text under every news excerpt, but also at the end of every news itself.

i then tried to add some code in the function nm_create_excerpt (functions.php)

Code:
/*******************************************************
* @function nm_create_excerpt
* @param $content the post content
* @return a truncated version of the post content
*/
function nm_create_excerpt($content) {
  global $NMEXCERPTLENGTH;
  $len = intval($NMEXCERPTLENGTH);
  $content = strip_tags($content);
  $url     = nm_get_url('post') . $slug;

if (strlen($content) > $len) {
    if (function_exists('mb_substr'))
      $content = trim(mb_substr($content, 0, $len, 'UTF-8')) . ' [<a href="'. $url . '">read more]</a>';
    else
      $content = trim(substr($content, 0, $len)) . ' [...]' . $url;      
  }
  return "<p>$content</p>";
}

this adds the link ".../index.php?id=blog&post="
but the last part of the url is missing.

Could somebody help me with this? Thanks in advance Smile

I already posted the coding for your request in this th0read

News Manager - fabsn - 2011-08-24

thank you, works perfect...the code was just one site back.

News Manager - Viggo - 2011-08-28

how can I show which user write a news?

something like this:
Added by <username>

News Manager - fabsn - 2011-08-28

hi there.

is there a possibility to run multiple instances of the news manager on one site? i want to use one for news/blog entries and one for events.

i like the news manager, it works perfectly out of the box and as it should be so using this for events would be cool, especially for displaying them in the sidebar.

News Manager - snooze - 2011-09-01

Been searching through all these threads for what I hope is a simple procedure. Getting threadbare.

I would like to be able to compose an excerpt without using the character limit limit/ Mostly the excerpts I use are just one sentence; I would like the excerpt to be the precise length of the sentence, no more, no less.

How about it?

News Manager - fathutt - 2011-09-04

Hi!

I have some problems with dates. In place of publish date all I see is just the 'Published on' and nothing else.

And also, is it possible to show publish dates in recent news list?

News Manager - Raffee - 2011-09-08

I'm using News Manager plugin on all sites I'm working on (including my own) and I'd like to ask if anybody did a try to adopt News Manager to work on multilanguage site like i18n plugin does (with language suffix appended to slug)?
Or could anybody give me a hint with it? I completely have no idea how to achieve this.
I understand that there's no such feature by the plugin itself so how would it be possible to get it done?
Actually I cannot even figure out how it should look: maybe filtered by posts language tags or so?
Anybody has done something similiar already and could give me an idea?

PS: Now I'm not sure if the posts in Polish really should have analog posts in English, and what about those that have not? Or maybe it has to by two instances of News Manager: one for Polish and the other for English?
I see my problem doesn't belong to the plugin itself but more to its use...

News Manager - Sledge - 2011-09-11

fathutt Wrote:I have some problems with dates. In place of publish date all I see is just the 'Published on' and nothing else.
I get the same when testing locally but once the site goes live the dates appear. I'd be curious to hear if anyone knows what I need to set in my WAMP to get dates to show locally.

News Manager - andyash - 2011-09-16

Any idea when can News Manager support categories so I can segregate my entries into Blog, News etc?

News Manager - mikeh - 2011-09-16

andyash Wrote:Any idea when can News Manager support categories so I can segregate my entries into Blog, News etc?

If you want I can post or send my modifications allowing a full category manager.

News Manager - andyash - 2011-09-18

mikeh Wrote:
andyash Wrote:Any idea when can News Manager support categories so I can segregate my entries into Blog, News etc?

If you want I can post or send my modifications allowing a full category manager.

Please do. Will much appreciate it.

News Manager - suken - 2011-09-19

Hey guys I am using News Manager Plugin and some how I am not able to show the date after the individual post e.g. I can just see "Posted on" but after that there is nothing show on my website, So guys if any one knows about this problem please help me on this.

News Manager - Connie - 2011-09-19

I am not a guy,

but I would like to help you if you would be so nice to post a URL to check your problem ...