GetSimple Support Forum
ItemManager Theme - Printable Version

+- GetSimple Support Forum (http://get-simple.info/forums)
+-- Forum: GetSimple (http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Themes (http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: ItemManager Theme (/showthread.php?tid=14250)

ItemManager Theme - Felix - 2020-05-18

Hi to all,

Here is my first theme >>> ItemManager-Theme

The purpose of the ItemManager-Theme is example use of the ItemManager v2.4.6 plugin.
See the template files and the functions.php file in this theme how ItemManager is used
to manage and output the content for the pages. Note that this is only a head start
in ItemManager use. The full api has not been used here yet.
The logic separation from the markup has been done with the use of simple function calls
and can also be improved further. This will be done in future upgrades of this theme.

ItemManager-theme

Have a look at the functions.php and style.css files as they are commented extensively
about their usage in this theme.

You can use this theme also as a starter website template. I have made the theme responsive
for desktop, laptop, tablet and smartphone. The horizontal menu even adapts nicely with a
menu button for smartphone sized screens. The responsive breakpoints are set on
1200, 1100, 1024, 900, 800 and 600px with a fixed size on 450px.

The theme even comes with two professional picture galleries, photobox and lightgallery
both also managed by ItemManager.

Feel free to change the contents in this ItemManager theme and use it in any way you want.

========================================================

How to install

PREPARATION:

a) Download from extend the file: itemmanager-theme.zip

b) This theme needs the data folder to be updated !
    Download update_data.zip from here:
    http://itemmanager.showme.zone/update_data.zip

see step 3) in the installation

c) This theme needs the following 2 plugins: imanager and im extra fields.
    Download these 2 plugins from the extend or download from here:
    http://itemmanager.showme.zone/plugins.zip

see step 4) in the installation

INSTALLATION:

1) Setup a fresh new Get-Simple installation in your local Server or online.

2) Upload the file itemmanager-theme.zip to the theme folder and unzip.

3) Upload the file update_data.zip to the website root and unzip.
    This will update the data folder with the necessary itemmanager files.

4) Upload plugins.zip to the plugins folder and unzip.
    This will insert the plugins imanager and im extra fields.

5) Open the Get-Simple backend, open settings and check: Website URL.
     Be sure that Website URL is set correctly (for local server or online)

6) Go to the TAB Plugins and check that the itemmanager and im extra fields plugins are activated.

7) In the Get-Simple backend, go to the TAB Theme, select ItemManager as your theme,
     click on the Activate Theme button to reactivate !

8) Open the file .htaccess in the webroot and check your RewriteBase /

==============================================================

The ItemManager Theme should work from here.

demo: http://itemmanager.showme.zone

RE: ItemManager Theme - Bigin - 2020-05-18

Hi Felix,

the theme looks interesting. I haven't tested it yet, but it can be that meta Viewport on the demo page is still missing? Because on my smartphone the page doesn't scale down.

Code:
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">

I'm still on the road now, when I get back I'll install it – give you feedback soon ;-)

RE: ItemManager Theme - Felix - 2020-05-18

Hi Bigin,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes the meta name viewport was totally missing in the head section !!
I have added it in the online demo site.

I have also seen that the logo is missing on some pages and that the picture galleries
are not showing nicely on my Samsung smartphone.

I will update the itemmanager theme to version 1.2

RE: ItemManager Theme - Felix - 2020-05-18

Updated the ItemManager Theme to version 1.2

a) improved the head section
b) added the logo to more pages
c) corrected the links in the footer
d) improved responsive behaviour on smartphones

==============================================

Note:
If you already have opened the demo site on your smartphone,
the demo site might not show the changes done in version 1.2
http://itemmanager.showme.zone

Don't forget to empty the browser cache
Example how to empty the cache in a Chrome Browser on a Samsung Smartphone with Android

Go to Menu => Settings => Apps => Chrome => Memory => Empty Cache

RE: ItemManager Theme - Bigin - 2020-05-19

Hi Felix,

in my opinion the installation is too complicated, I think it will discourage most GS users - most of them are not even able to replace a logo in default theme...
Copy data folder is unfortunately not optimal. I think there must be a way to install the theme automatically. Especially because ItemManager has this functionality and you simply have to build an installer around. Have you ever tested ImForms plugin? ImForms has an installer, only this one is a bit overkill. You could probably build something similar but much simpler ;-)

RE: ItemManager Theme - Felix - 2020-05-19

Hi Bigin,

Yes it was on my mind and saw this already coming. To make things install easy in 1 go
I tried to zip everything in 1 file for upload and install. The all in 1 go zip file
has a size of 3Mb and this size was not accepted for upload. Only the 500Kb small sized
theme file was accepted by extend for upload.
I think an easy all in 1 go zip file is still a solution for the moment.
I could upload this zip file to the demo site so GS users can download from there.

=================================================

Have not tried ImForms yet. But even with ImForms the 3Mb files have to come
from outside the extend.

Talking about it. I have used another site builder a long time ago. The good part
of this site builder was that it had an export and import function. With this, one
could export parts of the builded website as a block. These blocks could be imported
again in new website projects. A simple example is that one could export the builded
picture gallery as a block. Later on this block could be imported again in a new
website project. Such blocks are a huge time saver in new website projects !
Imagine the potential: build blocks for navigation-bars, headers, footers, forms . . . . . .
Code once, use anywhere !

It would be fantastic to realize such a block export/import for ItemManager.

RE: ItemManager Theme - Bigin - 2020-05-19

Looking at your package, the images and included fonts take up most of the space.

Just a suggestion:
1. Replace your photos with simple monochrome pictures placeholders (highly compressed). This is a total of about 200Kb.
2. If fonts are not absolutely necessary reduce it or use external web fonts, max 10 -20 Kb.

It all comes in a zip archive and will probably not be more than 500Kb in size. Including an install folder, which will be deleted automatically after installation.

And the content of the "data" folder does not need to be copied, you can create it during the installation (on the fly). An IM based auto-installer is strongly recommended, but needs to be written first.

PS. ItemManager is already a builder, it creates its content (including fields and categories) at runtime. But for this you need good API knowledge. IM-3 is much more flexible for this.