GetSimple Support Forum
Multiuser facility - Printable Version

+- GetSimple Support Forum (http://get-simple.info/forums)
+-- Forum: GetSimple (http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Installation & Setup (http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Multiuser facility (/showthread.php?tid=16134)

Multiuser facility - drking - 2021-02-20

Could I simply point out that the GetSimple website front page says multiuser is possible, but the instructions given on the wiki (linked from there) seemingly have not worked for years. The plugin suggested is long term unsupported, and getSimple has changed in the meantime.

You can get multiuser to work with a modified plug in, v1.90 I think. But the wiki needs updating. I'd do it myself, but I don't have the background knowledge to be sure that using v1.90 is the best way.

I'd be happier if this plugin was officially supported, to be honest - as it's a core part of the functionality, liisted on the front page.

Thanks for providing the software

RE: Multiuser facility - Felix - 2021-02-21

It is all a matter of who has the time for this work.
How about hiring a coder and we all share the cost.
F.

RE: Multiuser facility - datiswous - 2021-02-22

(2021-02-20, 20:32:58)drking Wrote: Could I simply point out that the GetSimple website front page says multiuser is possible, but the instructions given on the wiki (linked from there) seemingly have not worked for years.

Hi, I just tested multi user and it works fine. Just make sure the username in the xml file is the same as the filename.

So user bram3000 = bram3000.xml

Also keep the password written in the file the same and type password as the password at login screen.

RE: Multiuser facility - drking - 2021-02-24

(2021-02-22, 07:49:42)datiswous Wrote:
(2021-02-20, 20:32:58)drking Wrote: Could I simply point out that the GetSimple website front page says multiuser is possible, but the instructions given on the wiki (linked from there) seemingly have not worked for years.

Hi, I just tested multi user and it works fine. Just make sure the username in the xml file is the same as the filename.

So user bram3000 = bram3000.xml

Also keep the password written in the file the same and type password as the password at login screen.

The first option given in the multiuser link is not to the 'manual method', but is to the 'multiuser plugin method'. I tried the plugin method, which did not work for me. Thanks for telling me the manual method works - I had not properly understood that.

RE: Multiuser facility - drking - 2021-02-24

(2021-02-21, 00:35:55)Felix Wrote: It is all a matter of who has the time for this work.
How about hiring a coder and we all share the cost.
F.

Yes, I do understand the difficulties - I've been contributing elsewhere.

The main thing is to update the wiki, so others are not misled; would you like me to modify that page? It's quick to do. The caveat is that I don't have background knowledge. So I'd say that the manual method was first choice, and the updated plugin is an alternative but is unsupported and has not been updated for a long time.

RE: Multiuser facility - drking - 2023-01-29

well, back in 2021 I think I did change the docs myself - so you'll see that the manual option is given first. I thought any change was better than having something there that was wrong.

The reason I was initially worried about this was that I have only played with the software, not fully understood it - and someone writing a manual should really be pretty competent. I do have a couple of websites running it though.

RE: Multiuser facility - Felix - 2023-01-29

Quote:The reason I was initially worried about this was that I have only played with the software, not fully understood it - and someone writing a manual should really be pretty competent. I do have a couple of websites running it though.

Compared with Wordpress, Typo3, Drupal, Joomla, etc. etc. the GS cms is the most easy to learn and understand.
Someone should add to the wiki that GS now has a community edition made compatible with php8.x