GetSimple Support Forum
QUESTION Updating GetSimple to the Community Edition - Printable Version

+- GetSimple Support Forum (http://get-simple.info/forums)
+-- Forum: GetSimple (http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Installation & Setup (http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: QUESTION Updating GetSimple to the Community Edition (/showthread.php?tid=16928)

Pages: 1 2

Updating GetSimple to the Community Edition - Hypertexter - 2023-01-16

Hello,

may I update an existing Getsimple installation version 3.3.15 directly to the Community Edition version  3.3.18 CE?

Or do I have to care for additional steps before?

Thank you.

RE: Updating GetSimple to the Community Edition - islander - 2023-01-17

(2023-01-16, 21:15:56)Hypertexter Wrote: Hello,

may I update an existing Getsimple installation version 3.3.15 directly to the Community Edition version  3.3.18 CE?

Or do I have to care for additional steps before?

Thank you.

It should be fine, but do not use the patch for this, use the full package, since you are coming from a version earlier than 3.3.16.

But, as with any upgrade, make a backup, just in case there is anything unpredictable.

I dont foresee you having any problems, but let us know how it  goes.

RE: Updating GetSimple to the Community Edition - Hypertexter - 2023-01-17

(2023-01-17, 03:52:15)islander Wrote: It should be fine, but do not use the patch for this, use the full package, since you are coming from a version earlier than 3.3.16.

Thank you for the note. Uploading the admin folder of the full package seemed to be sufficient in my case. And three single files like index.php.

It works fine and I wonder why I did not even need to login as admin after updating this time. The frontend was accessible immediately.

Now there are some extensions. The only one that explains clearly to be PHP8 compatible is the Newsmanager plugin.

What about extensions generally? Do all of them need to be compatible with PHP8?

Glad it worked out well for you.

Yes, you will need to see if the plugins you are using will work with php8.
Here is a short list of some that also have been updated to be compatible:
https://getsimplecms-ce-plugins.github.io/

If you are using one that is not in the list, it may or may not work fine, as we have not tested them all.

Let us know though, and maybe we take a look, if you run into a problem.

RE: Updating GetSimple to the Community Edition - Hypertexter - 2023-01-17

Undecided

I have installed the following plugins without any statement according to PHP8:

Download Interceptor

DynPages

GZipIt!

I18N (without "Base" or "Navigation")

Innovation Theme Plugin

News Manager Addons

News Manager Auto-open Post Options

Sharebar

Auto-open Page Options

Sitemap Update 

They all do not appear on https://getsimplecms-ce-plugins.github.io/. Does that mean I will have to do trial and error with each of them?

I18N should be there.

I think Innovation Theme Plugin was part of the 3.3.18ce package. You may want to double check.

News Manager Addons, the latest, I believe works. Carlos seems to be one of the few keeping his plugins up to date.

All the others, yes, you will need to test to see if they are ok or not.

RE: Updating GetSimple to the Community Edition - islander - 2023-01-18

I just added:
  • News Manager Addons
  • Auto-open Page Options
You have a link to Sitemap Update & News Manager Auto-open Post Options?

RE: Updating GetSimple to the Community Edition - Hypertexter - 2023-01-18

(2023-01-18, 01:20:50)islander Wrote: I just added:
  • News Manager Addons
  • Auto-open Page Options
You have a link to Sitemap Update & News Manager Auto-open Post Options?

Added where? My installation is already on News Manager Addons 0.9.5.1 and on Auto-open Page Options 2.0.
And I do not understand your question.

I turned my server to PHP 8.1 and back to PHP 7.4 immediately. My website suddenly lost any formatting. Something must be wrong with the 3.3.18 CE edition. I switched off some of the plugins, but nothing helped, only switching back to PHP 7.4.

If you are using News Manager Addons 0.9.5.1 that is the latest version and should be fine.
The Auto-open Page Options 2.0 on the CE page has a small update to make it more compatible with php8.

I cant find links to download "Sitemap Update" & "News Manager Auto-open Post Options" plugins.
Send me the links, and I will take a look when I can, to see if updates are needed.

(2023-01-18, 02:04:44)islander Wrote: The Auto-open Page Options 2.0 on the CE page has a small update to make it more compatible with php8.

I cant find links to download "Sitemap Update" & "News Manager Auto-open Post Options" plugins.
Send me the links, and I will take a look when I can, to see if updates are needed.

You don't want to tell me the Auto-open Page Options 2.0 version on the CE page is another 2.0 version than the standard one?

I think "Sitemap update" was a special edition of Carlos for me:
http://get-simple.info/forums/showthread.php?tid=10591&pid=63123

News Manager Auto-open Post Options has no link in my backend, too... it came from Carlos Navarro.

Here we go:

[attachment=1662]

and

[attachment=1663]

RE: Updating GetSimple to the Community Edition - multicolor - 2023-01-18

(2023-01-18, 02:15:37)Hypertexter Wrote:
(2023-01-18, 02:04:44)islander Wrote: The Auto-open Page Options 2.0 on the CE page has a small update to make it more compatible with php8.

You don't want to tell me the Auto-open Page Options 2.0 version on the CE page is another 2.0 version than the standard one?

I think "Sitemap update" was a special edition of Carlos for me:
http://get-simple.info/forums/showthread.php?tid=10591&pid=63123

News Manager Auto-open Post Options has no link in my backend, too... it came from Carlos Navarro.

Use CE only when you use php newest than 8.0. Islander want tell you - every plugins on repo CE we added fixes working for PHP 8.0.

(2023-01-18, 02:29:44)multicolor Wrote: Use CE only when you use php newest than 8.0. Islander want tell you - every plugins on repo CE we added fixes working for PHP 8.0.

??

I use 3.3.18 CE successfully with PHP 7.4 And the CE plugins repo says: "All Plugins fixed for support php > 8.1"

With PHP 8.1, my pages break short after head area. The last lign of generated html is
Code:
"</header><div id="navigation">
<ul>
<!-- -->
"

So most of the content and the css calling (which is done in the footer) has disappeared. Maybe somebody gets an idea of where to search for the problem.

(2023-01-18, 02:49:03)Hypertexter Wrote:
(2023-01-18, 02:29:44)multicolor Wrote: Use CE only when you use php newest than 8.0. Islander want tell you - every plugins on repo CE we added fixes working for PHP 8.0.

??

I use 3.3.18 CE successfully with PHP 7.4 And the CE plugins repo says: "All Plugins fixed for support php > 8.1"

With PHP 8.1, my pages break short after head area. The last lign of generated html is
Code:
"</header><div id="navigation">
<ul>
<!-- -->
"

So most of the content and the css calling (which is done in the footer) has disappeared. Maybe somebody gets an idea of where to search for the problem.
My guess is that it is probably not loading a plugin for the nav.
Look in your template to see what place-holder you have there.
Double check that your plugin is activated.

We are doing our best to update plugins to support 8.1, in our free time, but not all systems are the same, so there might be another update applied.

Also, a newer version to the News auto-open can be found here:
http://get-simple.info/forums/showthread.php?tid=3972&pid=54904#pid54904
 Both of those plugins are from the same author, and he too is trying to keep these updated, so it would probably be best to send him a message directly if you run into a problem with either of those.

This is my template.php. Perhaps you can find something suspicious. I added a mark
PHP Code:
--- break in output --- 

where the html page stops. It really seems to be something with navigation.

PHP Code:
<?php if(!defined('IN_GS')){ die('you cannot load this page directly.'); }
/****************************************************
* @File:         template.php
* @Package:        GetSimple
* @Action:        Innovation theme for GetSimple CMS
*****************************************************/

# Get this theme's settings based on what was entered within its plugin. 
# This function is in functions.php 
$innov_settings Innovation_Settings();

# Include the header template
include('header.inc.php'); 
?>
<div id="navigation">
<ul>

--- break in output ---

<?php get_i18n_navigation(return_page_slug(),0,3,I18N_SHOW_MENU$component="navigation"); ?>
    <?php // get_page_content(); ?>
</ul>
</div>    
    <div class="wrapper clearfix">
        <!-- page content -->

<article>

<section>

<!-- title and content -->
                <!-- <h1><?php get_page_title(); ?></h1> -->
                <!--<h1><?php echo html_entity_decode(get_page_title(false)); ?></h1> -->

<?php // checking for the blog slug and rendering the link // ?>
                <?php if (!nm_is_site()) { ?><h1><?php echo html_entity_decode(get_page_title(false)); ?></h1>
                <?php } elseif (nm_is_tag()) { ?><h1><?php nm_single_tag_title('Theme '); ?></h1>
                <?php } elseif (!nm_is_single()) { ?><h1><a href="<?php nm_get_url(); ?>"><?php get_page_title(); ?></a></h1>
                <?php ?>

<?php get_component('template.php-below-title'); ?>

<?php get_page_content(); ?>

</section>

</article>

</div>

<!-- include the footer template -->
<?php include('footer.inc.php'); ?>

In one of your earlier posts, you said that you have "I18N (without "Base" or "Navigation")".
Your template breaks at I18N nav.
Do you have this plugin activated?
Just double checking.

I have two entries for I18N in my plugins tab: "I18N Base" and "I18N".

They both were on "Version 3.3.1". But now they are on version 3.3.1 which is a different version 3.3.1. And now my site is one step further: more page content than before!

Really: publishing plugins with the same version number as existing ones, but having a different content, is no-go.

Now I can use the Cardinal theme under PHP 8.1, seems like error-free. But my problem is: I use Innovation theme, which seems to not achieve anything on my page. I can see the content without any formatting.

But since I have some custom changes in header.php and footer.php, I cannot simply replace the whole theme.

So I tried to find out what is the difference between Innovation theme in my installation and Innovation theme in the 3.3.18 CE complete download package, but I failed.

Do you know where exactly in the Innovation theme did the PHP accomodations take place?

RE: Updating GetSimple to the Community Edition - islander - 2023-01-19

(2023-01-18, 23:48:34)Hypertexter Wrote: I have two entries for I18N in my plugins tab: "I18N Base" and "I18N".

They both were on "Version 3.3.1". But now they are on version 3.3.1 which is a different version 3.3.1. And now my site is one step further: more page content than before!

Really: publishing plugins with the same version number as existing ones, but having a different content, is no-go.

Now I can use the Cardinal theme under PHP 8.1, seems like error-free. But my problem is: I use Innovation theme, which seems to not achieve anything on my page. I can see the content without any formatting.

But since I have some custom changes in header.php and footer.php, I cannot simply replace the whole theme.

So I tried to find out what is the difference between Innovation theme in my installation and Innovation theme in the 3.3.18 CE complete download package, but I failed.

Do you know where exactly in the Innovation theme did the PHP accomodations take place?

Glad to hear you are getting closer to having everything working.

Regarding version numbers, sorry, this is just the way it is for the time being. The original authors are no longer maintaining their creations at the moment, even if we did change the version number, if at a later date the GS repo received an update, it could also end up being the same number. At the moment, if it is on the CE page, it is the newer version.

The theme only had a minor change to move the Google font to local.
If you are talking about the Innovation Plugin, that has had a larger update. You can download this report witch shows a file comparison of change made: https://filetransfer.io/data-package/tgbZC0dA#link

Hope this helps

RE: Updating GetSimple to the Community Edition - Hypertexter - 2023-01-19

(2023-01-19, 00:13:22)islander Wrote: Regarding version numbers, sorry, this is just the way it is for the time being. The original authors are no longer maintaining their creations at the moment, even if we did change the version number, if at a later date the GS repo received an update, it could also end up being the same number. At the moment, if it is on the CE page, it is the newer version.

Perhaps they could be versioned like "3.3.1-php8" or something like that? The problem is, in the back-end you cannot recognize updated plugins, when they have the same number, you have to remember what you have installed.

Here is the component "navigation" of my site, perhaps my (last?) php problem stucks in it?

PHP Code:
<li class="<?php echo $item->classes; ?>">
  <a href="<?php echo htmlspecialchars($item->link); ?>">
    <?php echo htmlspecialchars($item->text); ?>
  </a>
  <?php if ($item->isOpen) { ?>
    <ul><?php $item->outputChildren(); ?></ul>
  <?php ?>
</li> 

Can you turn on Debug in your gsconfig.php to see if it can provide more info and post?

RE: Updating GetSimple to the Community Edition - Hypertexter - 2023-01-19

(2023-01-19, 01:02:45)islander Wrote: Can you turn on Debug in your gsconfig.php to see if it can provide more info and post?

I will try...

So I have to activate the line
define('GSDEBUG', TRUE);

and where can I find the debug information after?

RE: Updating GetSimple to the Community Edition - Knobbles - 2023-01-19

Debug information will be directly printed on the web site (because of this, it is recommended to disable debugging mode to avoid giving such information to the visitors).
Additionally, there is the data/other/logs/errorlog.txt.

I enable GSDEBUG only for a short time when developing something on the web site to have a look, then disable it again.

RE: Updating GetSimple to the Community Edition - Oleg06 - 2023-01-19

(2023-01-19, 00:49:30)Hypertexter Wrote:
(2023-01-19, 00:13:22)islander Wrote: Regarding version numbers, sorry, this is just the way it is for the time being. The original authors are no longer maintaining their creations at the moment, even if we did change the version number, if at a later date the GS repo received an update, it could also end up being the same number. At the moment, if it is on the CE page, it is the newer version.

Perhaps they could be versioned like "3.3.1-php8" or something like that? The problem is, in the back-end you cannot recognize updated plugins, when they have the same number, you have to remember what you have installed.

Here is the component "navigation" of my site, perhaps my (last?) php problem stucks in it?

PHP Code:
<li class="<?php echo $item->classes; ?>">
  <a href="<?php echo htmlspecialchars($item->link); ?>">
    <?php echo htmlspecialchars($item->text); ?>
  </a>
  <?php if ($item->isOpen) { ?>
    <ul><?php $item->outputChildren(); ?></ul>
  <?php ?>
</li> 

I'm testing all the updated plugins on php 8, everything works for me.
https://skr.sh/sHxQGbCT6Kw

Yes, follow what @Knobbles said to get more info.

@multicolor said without more info, its hard to diagnose, but it could be the call needs updating. Maybe try
PHP Code:
echo htmlspecialchars($item->text ?? ''