GetSimple Support Forum
GetSimple is Awesome - Printable Version

+- GetSimple Support Forum (http://get-simple.info/forums)
+-- Forum: GetSimple (http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: GetSimple is Awesome (/showthread.php?tid=1865)

GetSimple is Awesome - designthing - 2011-06-20

I have been trying this cms for a week now and i am beginning to see its appeal. It's ideal for small business / personal websites. I am a fan of minimalism in design and the few constraints that GS has, are actually attributes. Too many cms's are overkill for what a business owner needs to edit his/her website. I have met biz owners who know nothing about cms and certainly wouldn't have the time or inclination to learn Wordpress or Joomla. You really can grasp how to use it in 10 minutes, and that's it's strong selling point. My only criticism is the default editor with no H1-H6 tag functions and a few others. 99% clients won't know how to go into source and adda H2.
Thankyou GS developers for a great little cms.

GetSimple is Awesome - Connie - 2011-06-20

Thank you for this judgement!

designthing Wrote:My only criticism is the default editor with no H1-H6 tag functions and a few others. 99% clients won't know how to go into source and adda H2.

Well, if you miss these functions, it is not difficult to add these styles.
I don't know if I described it already in the WIKI, if not I will describe it in the next days in the WIKI, ok?

GetSimple is Awesome - polyfragmented - 2011-06-20

Connie Wrote:I don't know if I described it already in the WIKI
There's info on how to activate the advanced toolbar which brings us the joy of headings (amongst other stuff)!

GetSimple is Awesome - ccagle8 - 2011-06-20

designthing Wrote:I have been trying this cms for a week now and i am beginning to see its appeal. It's ideal for small business / personal websites. I am a fan of minimalism in design and the few constraints that GS has, are actually attributes. Too many cms's are overkill for what a business owner needs to edit his/her website. I have met biz owners who know nothing about cms and certainly wouldn't have the time or inclination to learn Wordpress or Joomla. You really can grasp how to use it in 10 minutes, and that's it's strong selling point. My only criticism is the default editor with no H1-H6 tag functions and a few others. 99% clients won't know how to go into source and adda H2.
Thankyou GS developers for a great little cms.
Thank you very much for this review! Glad you like it

GetSimple is Awesome - yojoe - 2011-06-20

designthing Wrote:99% clients won't know how to go into source and adda H2.
Because they simply shouldn't mess with headers.
Everything should be automatized by webdev Smile

And GS is freakin awesome in helping with such automation Wink

GetSimple is Awesome - designthing - 2011-06-20

You have a point there Yojoe.
But if a client needs to add new pages with a header H1 or H2, he/she will need to have those tools to make the title headers for the css to kick in. Polyfragmented has enlightened me anyway with the link above.
This cms gets better and better!
Cheers

GetSimple is Awesome - mvlcek - 2011-06-20

yojoe Wrote:Because they simply shouldn't mess with headers.

Longer pages need to have sub headers, thus they should be able to select them (at least starting with h2).
And they will get a styles dropdown to select specific styles, like "Quote" (on <p>) or "highlighted" (inline).

What they will (normally) not get, are color chooser, font dropdown, font size, etc. This would possibly clash with the site theme or at the latest, when the theme is updated or changed.

IMHO the client will get everything to structure and mark the content, but nothing to style the content (except bold, italic, underline - as these are not really styles and can be themselves styled via CSS). The page content should not have any style="..." attributes at all, only basic tags and CSS classes.

GetSimple is Awesome - polyfragmented - 2011-06-20

yojoe Wrote:Because they simply shouldn't mess with headers.
Clients should be given the tools to structure their content which is best done by using headlines, isn't it?

And how would you automate headline usage in GS?

GetSimple is Awesome - yojoe - 2011-06-21

polyfragmented Wrote:Clients should be given the tools to structure their content which is best done by using headlines, isn't it?
You still would have to automatize pretty much things, especially developing good html5 code.
And Headlines shouldn't be given to owners of small websites and non-aware users.
People think that headlines are just a faster way of making the text bigger with automatical padding.

About longer pages menioned by Mvlcek, paginating them along with transforming automatically first paragraph into header is also possible. Also through an additional "header" button.

Quote:And how would you automate headline usage in GS?

H1/H2 <- fully automatic headlines for page, news, article etc.
I could reconsider adding h4-h6 headlines to wysiwyg editor, but it's still a matter of end user.
Placing a header tag in the middle of paragraph would still be a nonsense from SEO pov.
But when a wysiwyg text editor with 6 buttons is like a black magic to end user ...

GetSimple is Awesome - designthing - 2011-06-21

If a client cannot understand H1-H4 tags, then maybe they shouldn't be using a CMS. Good use of headings ARE important for SEO. Most clients understand MS Word and the creation of Headers before paragraphs. So, i'd guess that 90% will know how to write out a good page using GS. A CMS must allow page editing including paragraph and H1-H6, Lists, Image placement and link creation at the least. That is what a website owner WANTS. I think that giving the option to change colours and fonts is more damaging to the website because it will clash with the designers / developers css styles. That's a greater crime than using Headers!
So i think the Heading tags should be included in the Default text editor that comes with GS without having reconfigure.

GetSimple is Awesome - Connie - 2011-06-21

well, in our CKEDITOR we can define which elements will be presented and which text is shown for them

so if clients don't know what H2 is we could translate it to "Header 2"

I, too, believe that users need the possibility to enter headers, maybe (to keep SEO) starting with H3, translating that to HEADER 1 Wink

most problems arise with PASTING FROM WORD, this devil's tool destroys all structures, I always have to preach to use the PASTE FROM WORD-button not the PASTE-Button, I never had real problems with clients using headers