GetSimple Support Forum
"The server encountered an internal error..." - Printable Version

+- GetSimple Support Forum (http://get-simple.info/forums)
+-- Forum: GetSimple (http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Installation & Setup (http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: "The server encountered an internal error..." (/showthread.php?tid=3464)

"The server encountered an internal error..." - djebh - 2012-08-24

I've been trying to install getsimple for my website. But when I have typed my e-mail, usedname and website, and am about to proceed to typing my password, I receive the following message:

"The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request [...]"

What may be wrong? I still get the password sent to my e-mail.

"The server encountered an internal error..." - yojoe - 2012-08-24

Make sure all files were uploaded/unpacked correctly. Some of them might be corrupted.
Check out your server logs, as they might contain valuable info.
GS has also a log file, in /data/other directory but without more info, it's more possible to win in a lottery.

ps. what's your webhost ?

"The server encountered an internal error..." - djebh - 2012-08-24

I've tried repeatedly to upload gs to my host, but I encounter the same problem:

"Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [me]@[mydomain] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Apache/2.2.22 (Unix) PHP/5.3.15 Server at [mydomain] Port 80"

My web service provider is cliche.se

"The server encountered an internal error..." - yojoe - 2012-08-24

Every step you make has a significant meaning, even the software you use to connect through FTP, and its settings.

Did you check error log on your webhosting account as I asked earlier ?
GS could also dump some info into its own error log, but I'm not sure if it is being created during installation.

I won't guess where, and how are you sending all files.
The only idea I can come up with, is that nested directories may inherit faulty .htaccess settings.
Otherwise you should contact with helpdesk of your webhost, and ask if its not specific hosting related problem.

"The server encountered an internal error..." - shawn_a - 2012-08-25

It does this before you submit the form ?

"The server encountered an internal error..." - Toomas - 2012-08-25

Hi,

I got exactly to same message while trying to install GetSimple for the first time today.
Installation goes well up to the point where login details are sent by email. The following page "support.php" fails to load with error message described above.
Same thing happens when trying to access admin page, or just the front page of the site.

My first guess was that this is somehow related to file/folder permissions, but don't know for sure yet.

"The server encountered an internal error..." - Connie - 2012-08-25

There is so much information here in the forum about possible reasons why this happens
so a "me too" is not helpful to find a explanation for your situation

"don't know for sure yet." how can we know?

1) there is a check when you install, did you check that everything was ok, that all requirements for GS are fulfilled?

2) you could tell us which server, PHP version etc. is active

3) did you activate rewrite mode and nice URLs?
4 .. more questions possible

The best solution which takes only 5 minutes:

0) CLEAR your Browser's cache
A) DELETE the complete installation at your host!!
B) RE-UPLOAD the uncompressed GS version to your host
C) RE-START the installation AND take note of the server check which is run at the beginning of the installation process
D) ONLY continue when everything is ok
IF NOT ask here or your hoster's support
E) CONTINUE STEP by STEP and take care what is going on, not only clicking OK

"The server encountered an internal error..." - Toomas - 2012-08-25

Connie,

Thanks for your post.

I was merely trying to inform the original poster that someone else has a problem which seems similar, and by "don't know for sure yet" I was referring to my on going efforts of investigating and solving this problem.

...which I have now done. In my case the problem was related to the .htaccess file. The server produces error 500 if there is anything written into the htaccess. I will be in contact with my service provider to find out why, but in the meanwhile, just deleting the .htaccess file is doing the trick.

Cheers,

T

"The server encountered an internal error..." - Connie - 2012-08-25

Toomas Wrote:In my case the problem was related to the .htaccess file. The server produces error 500 if there is anything written into the htaccess.

So there are certain restrictions for .htaccess at your server. When you found out more about that, got information from your hoster, it would be great if you could add that info to our WIKI, as we collect "hoster specialities" there ...

In my eyes it is ridiculous to allow .htaccess but deny functionality for that file ;=(