GetSimple Support Forum
News Manager (updated) - Printable Version

+- GetSimple Support Forum (http://get-simple.info/forums)
+-- Forum: GetSimple (http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Plugins (http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: News Manager (updated) (/showthread.php?tid=3972)

RE: News Manager (updated) - elubben - 2015-06-23

Kinda got used to it being where it is now. Also, as Tyblitz said, how many tabs can you have as top level before it self destructs?

RE: News Manager (updated) - Carlos - 2015-06-27

Thank you both for your opinions.

However I think that if multiple top-tabs are an issue, it's something to do with GS, not this plugin, and would better be discussed in another thread (or in GitHub).

As for being used to the current sidebar link... I think you would quickly get used to the top-tab. :-) I believe that people that are used to WordPress or other CMSes (that have separate tabs for posts and static pages) would find this more intuitive, or convenient.

Anyway, if there's enough interest in NOT having an additional "News" top-tab, I could add an option to disable it. But I think I would move the "Add new post" and "Settings" links in the main "News Manager" page to the right sidebar anyway...

RE: News Manager (updated) - TeeJay - 2015-06-27

Well, in my opinion, a separate top menu tab is a great idea.
Pages and News Manager posts are two separate things that work on the same level so it would be logical that NM would have a separate tab. So I'm up for it.

I don't use any other plugin that would take space in the top menu and even if I did, there still would be a lot of space. I believe that many plugins that have their own top menu tab don't deserve it it, but News Manager is not the case.

And if turning this feature off is not a trouble, making it on by default with optional turning off is the option that will suit everyone.

RE: News Manager (updated) - Carlos - 2015-07-04

News Manager version 3.2.2
  • Fixes possible issues with some I18N-based multilanguage setups (@TeeJay)
Download

Not available in Extend for now - I suppose most sites using NM are not affected and I don't want to bother with too frequent plugin updates.
No need to upgrade from 3.2.1 if you are not having issues.
Next version (3.2.3 or 3.3) will include this fix.

RE: News Manager (updated) - Carlos - 2015-07-05

(I had forgot to comment this...)

There's a compatibility issue with the Custom Title plugin (reported by user user in the Russian forum): the <title> tag for single post pages does not contain the post title.

A workaround for this issue is using template tag nm_post_title: replace the code for the <title> tag in your template by something like this:

Code:
<title>
   <?php if (function_exists('get_custom_title_tag'))
   { nm_post_title('', ' - '); echo get_custom_title_tag(); }
   else { get_page_clean_title(); }  ?>
</title>

RE: News Manager (updated) - stwneu - 2015-07-14

Just a short question: How to define differnt templates for news overview and the posts?

RE: News Manager (updated) - morvy - 2015-07-14

you have classes nm_post and nm_post_single .. nm_post is used in overview and single posts, nm_post_single is used only in single posts so you can rewrite some rules of nm_post with nm_post_single

Hmm.. I'm not sure if that helps, I have a Slideshow in my gs-template which I want to use above the overview but not above the single posts. I don't know, if it is clear what I mean? Big Grin Thanks for your quick reply!

RE: News Manager (updated) - morvy - 2015-07-14

ah OK,

so.. I would create a template specifically for blog/newsmanager to separate it from all other pages, then, on top where you want your slideshow, use this condition:

if(!nm_is_single()) {slideshow();}

That works! Thanks a lot, morvy! Smile

I just changed it to nm_if_main , so that I don't have the slideshow above the sites where I filter by tag.

RE: News Manager (updated) - Carlos - 2015-07-15

You can also use nm_is_home() if you just want it in the first main news page and not for page 2, page 3, etc.

RE: News Manager (updated) - Carlos - 2015-07-15

BTW you can select different templates with custom setting templateFile, for example:
Code:
templateFile temp-news.php
single templateFile temp-post.php
would use template temp-news.php for all news pages, except for full/single posts, where temp-post.php would be used.

[edit] If you do as morvy says and select the template in the news page, the first line is not necessary.
Anyway I also prefer using the default template and insert an if... conditional.

RE: News Manager (updated) - stwneu - 2015-07-15

Thank you guys, I really apreciate your work and effort! Smile

RE: News Manager (updated) - Riianna - 2015-07-16

Any plans to include star/tumbs etc ratings for the news/posts ?

RE: News Manager (updated) - GPB61 - 2015-07-27

Hi Carlos,
I was wondering if on the sidebar nm_tag_list function, is there a way to ad a class "active" to the tag which is currently used to display the posts? In this way, the tag list could be even used as a navigation bar.
On the reverse nm_list_tag you use a condition to "weight" the tag to change its appearance into the cloud, and I was wondering if the same cannot be done for the list too, but with the condition "if the post/s displayed belong to that speciific tag..."
Thanks a lot as always
Gianpaolo

RE: News Manager (updated) - Carlos - 2015-07-30

(2015-07-27, 18:24:18)GPB61 Wrote: I was wondering if on the sidebar nm_tag_list function, is there a way to ad a class "active" to the tag which is currently used to display the posts? In this way, the tag list could be even used as a navigation bar.
On the reverse nm_list_tag you use a condition to "weight" the tag to change its appearance into the cloud, and I was wondering if the same cannot be done for the list too, but with the condition "if the post/s displayed belong to that speciific tag..."
Thanks a lot as always
Gianpaolo

I'll add support for that.

In the meantime, you can make a copy, in your theme's functions.php file, of function nm_tag_list() (you can find it at news_manager/inc/sidebar.php) with a different name (that you would use in your template) with this change:

Replace
Code:
echo '  <li><a href="',$url,'">',htmlspecialchars($tag),'</a></li>',PHP_EOL;
by:
Code:
echo '  <li',(nm_is_tag($tag) ? ' class="active"' : ''),'><a href="',$url,'">',htmlspecialchars($tag),'</a></li>',PHP_EOL;

RE: News Manager (updated) - Carlos - 2015-07-30

(2015-07-16, 01:38:19)Riianna Wrote: Any plans to include star/tumbs etc ratings for the news/posts ?

No plans for that, sorry.

If you know of any solution (plugin, external script or whatever...) that can do it for static or nomal GS pages, let me know and I'll see if it can be integrated.

RE: News Manager (updated) - GPB61 - 2015-07-30

(2015-07-30, 00:19:26)Carlos Wrote: Replace

Code:
echo '  <li><a href="',$url,'">',htmlspecialchars($tag),'</a></li>',PHP_EOL;
by:

Code:
echo '  <li',(nm_is_tag($tag) ? ' class="active"' : ''),'><a href="',$url,'">',htmlspecialchars($tag),'</a></li>',PHP_EOL;

Thank you very much, it works as intended!
GP

RE: News Manager (updated) - Carlos - 2015-08-14

NM 3.3 beta available
http://get-simple.info/forums/showthread.php?tid=7332&pid=52717#pid52717

RE: News Manager (updated) - joyofweaving.com - 2015-08-14

I would like to have multiple instances of "News Manager Updated" on my web site. If it's possible, how would I do it?

RE: News Manager (updated) - Carlos - 2015-08-17

(2015-08-14, 18:46:34)joyofweaving.com Wrote: I would like to have multiple instances of "News Manager Updated" on my web site. If it's possible, how would I do it?

Right now it's not possible, unless you emulate them with tags, or make clones of the plugin (renaming variables, constants, functions...)

Support for multiple instances is in the roadmap (#32). I'll probably start working on this feature soon.

RE: News Manager (updated) - shawn_a - 2015-08-18

Curious what purpose for multiple installs?

RE: News Manager (updated) - TeeJay - 2015-08-18

It's just an overkill solution to simulate having categories without misusing tags.
I think I should just sit for a day or two and write it myself when I see how requested feature it is, well, maybe for Christmas Big Grin

RE: News Manager (updated) - shawn_a - 2015-08-18

I still don't get it, can you not just use hierarchies as categories?
Parent child relatioships?

RE: News Manager (updated) - TeeJay - 2015-08-18

Only in the GS pages, not in the NM pages. NM posts don't even have the "parent" option as far as I remember.