GetSimple Support Forum
QUESTION Innovation theme: Getting rid of reset.css? - Printable Version

+- GetSimple Support Forum (http://get-simple.info/forums)
+-- Forum: GetSimple (http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Themes (http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: QUESTION Innovation theme: Getting rid of reset.css? (/showthread.php?tid=7168)

Innovation theme: Getting rid of reset.css? - Hypertexter - 2015-03-29

Hi,

at the moment I try to redesign my style.css and therefore I downloaded one of my pages as page.html to my desktop and a style.css next to it. I edited the path to the local style.css and it works fine.

BUT: the links in the article of the page do not work! And simple text cannot be marked with the mouse to inspect the element in Firefox.

Without access to a reset.css the page seems to be dead. When going online, it works.

Can anybody help me: why this construction with a reset.css? Do I need it? Couldn't I delete it and make all formattings in style.css?

And: what magic information is contained in reset.css that makes the site looking like dead in the browser without it?

Bye
Hypertexter

RE: Innovation theme: Getting rid of reset.css? - shawn_a - 2015-03-29

reset loads before your style, to reset all styles to a known default and override browsers defaults.

RE: Innovation theme: Getting rid of reset.css? - eatons - 2015-03-29

(2015-03-29, 03:28:05)Hypertexter Wrote: Can anybody help me: why this construction with a reset.css? Do I need it? Couldn't I delete it and make all formattings in style.css?

You should download a copy of reset.css to your desktop and edit your page.html with that included along with your style.css. Once you read over whats inside reset.css, I think you'll understand why it's basically universally accepted as the standard for starting any set of stylesheets.
Hope that helps!

RE: Innovation theme: Getting rid of reset.css? - datiswous - 2015-04-01

An alternative to reset.css is nomalize.css

RE: Innovation theme: Getting rid of reset.css? - simplycrazy - 2015-04-01

look at your site, or in a locally extracted copy of the gs zipfile....

(archive or site root)/theme/Innovation/assets/css/reset.css

it's there. download it if you need do then add it to the local html file you're working on.. it should be the first stylesheet loaded.

RE: Innovation theme: Getting rid of reset.css? - Hypertexter - 2015-04-08

Hello,

thank you for all your posts!

OK, I can save reset.css locally for testing and it seems to do important things - but sometimes I find it annoying. For example, <em> tag results in: nothing (instead of an italic font) in Innovation theme, there seems to be an override in reset.css.

@datiswous
normalize.css looks interesting. Could I replace the specific reset.css with the standard normalize.css (3.0.2) without getting kerfuffle?

Bye
Hypertexter

RE: Innovation theme: Getting rid of reset.css? - shawn_a - 2015-04-08

sounds like innovation is missing an em style

RE: Innovation theme: Getting rid of reset.css? - Hypertexter - 2015-05-17

@shawn_a:
Yes, that's right. No style for em in the standard reset.css. I thought I had changed something, but no.

@datiswous:
I tried to use the recommended normalize.css, but I get the same effect like without the reset.css - my browser (Firefox) is freezing and the elements are not accessible or usable. There must be something elementary in the reset.css which is needed by Innovation theme or by Getsimple...

Hypertexter