GetSimple Support Forum
Need help to design themes for GS - Printable Version

+- GetSimple Support Forum (http://get-simple.info/forums)
+-- Forum: GetSimple (http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Themes (http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Need help to design themes for GS (/showthread.php?tid=882)

Need help to design themes for GS - Edberg - 2010-07-28

Hello.

Right now im stock in, what book i should read in, to get some basic css/Xhtml design from my paper, and onto www.

Is there any tips, some of you can give me.

What programs do you use?

I have the version from dreamweaver mx4, and fireworks.
But i need some links to tutorials on how i can get forward.

Thanks

Edberg

Need help to design themes for GS - den15b - 2010-07-29

Start by checking out w3schools, then get a good text/code editor like notepad++ (free), and start banging away at the keys. Google css/xhtml/php tutorials, there are heaps of them on the net, w3schools is an excellent resource and teaches you the basics.

Need help to design themes for GS - yojoe - 2010-07-29

programs ... well, plenty coders use basic text editors.
Choose your own from: notepad2, notepad++ or programmer's notepad.
Wysiwyg editors aren't the thing if you know what I mean Wink
But you can always look at more advanced dev environment like aptana.
I used it for a while, but for most of my website N++ is the thing, as it offers plenty useful options for text editing.

As it goes about where to start from, search for html & css basics, as you have to understand the difference between them, learn their semantics and basic tags.
There are plenty places with learning guides.

Need help to design themes for GS - Edberg - 2010-07-29

Thanks for the answers already.
yojoe Wrote:Wysiwyg editors aren't the thing if you know what I mean Wink
But you can always look at more advanced dev environment like aptana.
I used it for a while, but for most of my website N++ is the thing, as it offers plenty useful options for text editing.

I like dreamweaver, because in code view i help's me with the code(typing the words/code), it insert the closing tag an like that. If you understand me?

If you use DW in code view, would the site be the same, as i you program it in a text editor?

There's no problem for tag closing and completing in N++
Dreamweaver isn't the only editor with above mentioned features.

Actually it's not a matter of the tool, but knowledge.
You can do everything even in plain notepad Wink

Need help to design themes for GS - den15b - 2010-07-29

Paying big money for Dreamweaver or Microsoft Expression is expensive, the best programs are not WYSIWYG (IMHO). You're better off using an editor like Notepad++, Bluefish or Komodo Edit and viewing your pages in a browser. The better editors use tools like code hinting and syntax highlighting which are a great help, but do not add any unexpected code, unlike WYSIWYG editors.

There are as well: khtml, PSPad editor, Web Tide.
Still, learn html&css basics at the beginning.

den15b: thx for info about bluefish. Gonna look at it, because editors listed by me aren't better than well configured N++

Need help to design themes for GS - den15b - 2010-07-31

Even with all these code/text editors around, I still prefer to use normal notepad for html & css, it's just a little more time consuming to find out where you went wrong (no syntax high lighting). My most important feature is included in notepad anyway, "find & replace" for all those mysql databases (or any database for that matter) that need to be moved to another server, url or domain name.

Need help to design themes for GS - yojoe - 2010-07-31

It surely can be mentioned that everyone started his coding adventure with simple notepad Smile
But those were mid 90-ties, and now we got tons of useful OS programs Wink