GetSimple Support Forum
Printer-friendly pages - Printable Version

+- GetSimple Support Forum (http://get-simple.info/forums)
+-- Forum: GetSimple (http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Scripts & Components (http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Printer-friendly pages (/showthread.php?tid=887)

Printer-friendly pages - kweber - 2010-07-30

I just created a new web site using GS. It took my only two days although I did not have any experience in GS, CSS, and PHP, thanks to all the stuff and advice around GS. Now I would like to add a "printer-friendly"-button. The idea is that clicking on this button (or link) would generate a new web page without navigation and in black-and-white. I do understand the core idea and know that I probably need to create a printer-friendly .css and do some PHP programming but unfortunately I lack some knowledge. An example or some hints might suffice; I would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance!

Printer-friendly pages - Zegnåt - 2010-07-30

Your post seems to have been cut-off. Please edit it to contain your actual question so we can take a look at it.

Printer-friendly pages - yojoe - 2010-07-30

Things you have to do, to print a page containing only content you want (only htnl&css, no php at all)
1. create a .css, who shows only things you'd like to print from your site (you will have to hide some content inside it, because they may inherit styles from base css; use display: none style)
2. add this css for printing purposes
Code:
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="print.css" media="print" />
(watch the paths)
3. add printing button (you may as well stylize it using css)
Code:
<a href="#" onclick="window.print(); return false;" title="Print page">Print</a>
(This is a text link, you can place an img instead)

good luck Wink

Printer-friendly pages - kweber - 2010-07-31

yojoe Wrote:Things you have to do, to print a page containing only content you want (only htnl&css, no php at all)
1. create a .css, who shows only things you'd like to print from your site (you will have to hide some content inside it, because they may inherit styles from base css; use display: none style)
2. add this css for printing purposes
Code:
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="print.css" media="print" />
(watch the paths)
3. add printing button (you may as well stylize it using css)
Code:
<a href="#" onclick="window.print(); return false;" title="Print page">Print</a>
(This is a text link, you can place an img instead)

good luck Wink
Thanks a lot. I found another way to do the job but it is not as simple as yours.

Printer-friendly pages - JWH_Matthew - 2010-07-31

I am thinking this could be a good plugin.

I am just not sure how to do it without having a common css style sheet that I could
just replace if print was clicked.

I think the only way it would be possible is if the created their own print style sheet and
then the plugin just added the print button.

Printer-friendly pages - yojoe - 2010-07-31

matthew: think how to print only get_page_content() section Smile
iframe isn't a good solution, but maybe using jquery, opening the page content in new layer and then printing it ?