Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
QUESTION Is GetSimple still alive?
The last release was over a year ago, is the project still making progress?

The file upload for example is still using flash, which has to be activated in modern browsers first,
or jumping to the component when clicking on a tag at the Theme -> Edit Components section doesnt work anymore (at least not in chrome).
Is something bigger (like GetSimple v 4) going on?  Huh
As good as dead, in my opinion - with yesterday's technologies, will probably have a hard job to exist in this world. Hmm although, WordPress keeps also always managed to survive ;-)

(2017-10-22, 04:29:20)Niedes Wrote: or jumping to the compontent when clicking on a tag at the Theme -> Edit Components section doesnt work anymore (at least not in chrome).
- It works well for me.
3.4 is on github, still not RC though.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
(2017-10-22, 04:29:20)Niedes Wrote: The last release was over a year ago, is the project still making progress?

I think there's no need for new releases - almost everything works fine. The best link checker programm ever (http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html) ist still the best link checker programm - although there was no new release for 7 years :-)

Quote:The file upload for example is still using flash, which has to be activated in modern browsers first,

open "gsconfig.php", replace #define('GSNOUPLOADIFY', 1) by define('GSNOUPLOADIFY', 1) and no more flash is needed.

A lot of new customers are coming to us with an existing website based on joomla, wordpress or even typo3. They ALL are happy after we replaced the old and oversized CMS by GetSimple.

In my opinion GetSimple is more alive than EVERY other CMS.

Alex
Wink 
(2017-10-23, 19:06:38)Alexander_ Wrote:
(2017-10-22, 04:29:20)Niedes Wrote: The last release was over a year ago, is the project still making progress?

I think there's no need for new releases - almost everything works fine. The best link checker programm ever (http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html) ist still the best link checker programm - although there was no new release for 7 years :-)

Quote:The file upload for example is still using flash, which has to be activated in modern browsers first,

open "gsconfig.php", replace #define('GSNOUPLOADIFY', 1) by define('GSNOUPLOADIFY', 1) and no more flash is needed.

A lot of new customers are coming to us with an existing website based on joomla, wordpress or even typo3. They ALL are happy after we replaced the old and oversized CMS by GetSimple.

In my opinion GetSimple is more alive than EVERY other CMS.

Alex

Totally agree with you. Smile
Except for a handful of theme/ plugin developers and testers and the lead developer there is no contributing community.
Look at the declining amount of plugin updates chart I posted in Carlos' "Last updated plugins" thread.
Parts of the docs are quickly ageing. (check the screenshots in install docs) 
GS Extend is a mess, and the "Blog" and "About" pages on the website are no longer/partly relevant and when you subscribe for a newsletter you get none.

The chart about plugin download trends in the "Most downloaded plugins" thread shows that the average plugin dl's has dropped by 2-3k/month in 3 years, and the chart beneath, that only like 5-10 plugins are widely used. Although the 'passive' userbase is declining more slowly, without serious (time/upgrade/change/community) effort, the GS boat will sink.

GS is definitely not dead yet, but it does kind of look like it.
Oh yeah, my dad still driving his old V6 - TDI, he likes his car very much. The car is still alive and running and running well, but he has to start it by hand cranking every morning and the maximum speed on the highway is about 100 km/hour.
Sure, he'll be able to drive his car for many, many more years, i think, but is it really an efficient or useful car? Yeah maybe, for people looking for a nostalgic trip back to the good old days, or those who don't know much about technology and therefore do not have any expectations, but also for those who have never driven a good modern car before.

I personally like the modern technology in cars for comfort and entertainment it makes driving more pleasant and ensures greater safety :-P
Bigin,
I think your analogy is unfair. GS is rather safe (Shawn has fixed every vulnerability found to date) and I don't think it's slow.
haha yes, my father's car is safe too, he takes care of it very much, but that doesn't really make old technology better or efficient.

But joking aside, I didn't say GS is vulnerable. GS becomes inefficient from a certain website size, procedural code annoying and makes development in the backend very difficult and unpleasant.
(2017-10-24, 01:14:19)Bigin Wrote: Oh yeah, my dad still driving his old V6 - TDI,  he likes his car very much. The car is still alive and running and running well, but he has to start it by hand cranking every morning and the maximum speed on the highway is about 100 km/hour.
Sure, he'll be able to drive his car for many, many more years, i think, but is it really an efficient or useful car? Yeah maybe, for people looking for a nostalgic trip back to the good old days, or those who don't know much about technology and therefore do not have any expectations, but also for those who have never driven a good modern car before.

I personally like the modern technology in cars for comfort and entertainment it makes driving more pleasant and ensures greater safety :-P

I'm an webdesigner with about 800 customers. 790 of them need to to edit the content of one or two pages: the restaurants edit their menu cards, the hotels edit their rooms an rates, some other are publicating sometimes a job offer oder they want to show a gallery with actual pictures from something etc. All that can be done with GS. I can't imagine a feature that they are missing. Every additional feature makes a CMS more complicated.

Of course, GetSimple is not the CMS for creating very large sites with very high traffic and al lot of Editors working at the same time on it.

BTW, 30 years ago I needed 3 hours to change the complete(!) enginge of my first car (VW Beetle). Nowadays it is really impossible for me to change the bulb of my actual car's front light (Mercedes Benz). If this is "progress", I hope GS won't make any more progress :-)

Alex
(2017-10-24, 02:06:20)Bigin Wrote: GS becomes inefficient from a certain website size,

That's the point!

But below this size GS ist the best CMS I know. For all the other needs I use other CMS.

Alex
(2017-10-24, 02:10:12)Alexander_ Wrote: Nowadays it is really impossible for me to change the bulb of my actual car's front light (Mercedes Benz). If this is "progress", I hope GS won't make any more progress :-)

Lack of knowledge does not make the technology worse ;-)
Yes, I also like GetSimple, but I use completely different tools for almost all of my customer projects. And of course, I know that not all wishes can be fulfilled and too many changes at once could fail completely. However, you should not only try to fix old issues, but you should also open the door to new innovative ideas in order to be able to move towards the future.
Hi,

I've recently exchanged a customers website from Joomla to GetSimple and with the help of the plugins (esp. special pages), he's now able to add new products or change existing ones quite easy (only filling out the requested fields) and it's also responsible, due to the fact that I could use a template from html5up.net & fit it to work with GetSimple so nicely.
The customer is really amazed about the new possibilities and to him, it's everything else but yesterday's technology.
It's all a matter of your point of view.

I've tried so many CMS before making the decision towards GetSimple and many were so complicated to get into without spending loads of time, bloated with useless stuff for the user or really dead.
In my case, using GS was the best decision & I hope that Shawn will get some more contribution according development & maintenance.

One thing about updates: I hate em and I'm so happy about any system that runs for quite a long time without any updates needed.
That's why I'm using Debian at home. At work, with any update of Windows 10, there's a good chance that some "apps" stop working and even the system admin is tired of fixing them up.
I've got better things to do in my live than keeping software up-to-date.

Cheers.
Shasaar
Get simple is still alive! I create 30 websites for a month based on this cms. My Clients is happy, and talk to me many good opinion. I dont wanna more. This cms with plugins is still great tools.
3.4 has been in development for 3 years. I have just not have full time ability to work on it, but i hope to get back to working on getting RC1 out the door soon ( i have been saying soon for a year)

It is worth noting that is is fairly stable already, and has not really changed in 2 years, I have been stuck on 1 feature, and decided to push it back and get 3.4 released without it.
I am really happy with GS! The drag & drop feature for uploading, the tabs in the page view and other enhancements implemented in RC 3.4 look great. Thank you for your work, Shawn.
I really hope GS doesn't die. I hitched the redesign of an important website to it.

Many years ago, I had another project I started which I hitched to SMF because at the time it was the best and a lively community. Not long after, there was a huge schism and exodus, and not only plugin development tanked through the floor but primary development did as well. My users were clamoring for a site redesign which depended on SMF coming out with a new version... which never happened. Other functionality rotted (abandoned plugins) that had to be removed and was not received well by users. Users in turn abandoned MY site, and I eventually had to shutter what was once a very popular site due to it becoming a ghost town.

It's frustrating how much the sites we "create" in turn depend on things outside of our control. While I certainly have the option to switch to something other than GS, I feel I'm in the same boat as I was when I made the SMF site: I have already explored all the other options and nothing came nearly as close to meeting my needs.
i also hope GS will stay alive.
im using it on some of my websites for customers and all are happy with it.

yes, gs is not for the "big" sites but i think this was never the goal, its good for some small/midsize sites and thats good. i only use GS for this ones... and i like it really.

@shawn_a: is it the motivation or the time which is the problem? just asking! i think its the time...

keep up the good work!
thanks bro
I run several open source projects, I have been sick for almost a year, I have a full time job etc.
lol

I prioritize stuff based on complexity and amount of work, currently I have been personally working with C++ and microcontrollers, so GS is not my priority personally.

Most of 3.4 is done, but there is 1 big feature I have not been able to complete, so that held dev up, finding time for 40-100 hours is a problem, finding 2-4 here and there is easy.

So I will be re prioritizing, as you can see in github I am currently updating all dependancies, i have codemirror left ( no one has created a script to do that one, so it takes about 2 hours to do manually, more devs would help in this area )

Then i have to test it, we have no QA no one had volunteered to QA, we need a person to do social media managing to get these kinds of resources. So since I am the only one, things pile up.
Hello Shawn,

I understand your position, i think people like Asemion and many other techy guys could help out there.
On my side, i try to spread the word about GS, here in France.
And i truly believe that is a nice CMS.
I much like the lightweight aspect.

I have 2 questions:
1/ what is the big feature you are talking about ?
2/ what will be the weight of the new 3.4 mostly?

Regards.
Multi level menus

Um mostly major refactoring of code really, updating all the depencsncies was a big deal replacing uploadify old cke, adding codemirror, drafts, and backwards compatibility of almost all of it
Thanks for your efforts Shawn, I'm a new convert and love GS! I'm developing the designs and content with Bootstrap Studio and pasting the html directly into GS pages, the two tools are enabling me to create lean and efficient websites with about 10% of the overhead of Wordpress.
Yes, thanks much for all your work, Shawn.   You do this all as an unpaid volunteer?!!
You've been sick for a year?   Your health must come first.   We all hope you'll feel better soon.   Eat healthy and natural, get some fresh air and exercise, etc, etc...
As for the all important 'multi level menus', I think the following plugins do this, and maybe their authors could help you incorporate some of the code??
'I18N' by mvlcek;
'Structured Menu' by hofl ;
'gs-custom-menu'  by UK 'AngryBoy' aka 'Lokothodida';
'Child Menu' by erka;
'Custom Navigation' by Serbian;
'Nested Menus'  by christopherbloom.
—-
(2018-02-07, 14:15:03)Erickem Wrote: 2/2018: Get simple is still alive! forever.

Yeah - Elvis Presley alive, too!