Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Internal Server error 500 when going to admin directory
Hi,

This is my first post with this CMS.

I have looked for a CMS system after purchasing Perch and finding that their customer support, even via their forum, is appalling (which is a pity as their product 'seems' really nice). I then looked at Kirby but their requirements of modern browsers tells me that they go outside the HTML5 specs and I don't want that. So I looked around for others and came across GetSimple.

Problem is when I unpacked and uploaded it to my client's site it couldn't even show the install page. It came up with an internal 500 server error. You can see for yourself at this link: http://theforensicnurse.org/SimpleCMS/admin

What could that be? Since there is no other way of finding out what is wrong what could be the problem?

The server is a PHP/Apache server running PHP 7.2.3. I am having the techs look at installing the GD library and mod_rewrite, but according to the instructions those are not abolutely necessary.

If anyone wants to have a look at what this server has I have a test.php page here: http://theforensicnurse.org/SimpleCMS/test.php
It provides all the info about my server.

By the way, I am trying to get a CMS to work to create the 'recent posts/popular posts' section a ways down the home page on the right. There are other things I need to do too to the site like get the menu working properly on mobile sites, etc. But for now I am trying to get a blog type CMS up and running to make that section mentioned above to work.

I have checked other threads with the search terms being Internal server errr 500 and some of them mentioned checking the error log on the server. I have done this multiple times and found no error pointing to what is going on with this CMS installation.
I realized that I hadn't installed the .htaccess filke in the correct location or renamed it. This has now been done but the problem still persits. I beautified the .htaccess code and this is what is in it:

Code:
# php -- BEGIN cPanel-generated handler, do not edit
# Set the “alt-php72” package as the default “PHP” programming language.
<IfModule mime_module>
 AddHandler application/x-httpd-alt-php72 .php .php7 .phtml
</IfModule>
# php -- END cPanel-generated handler, do not edit

#
# GetSimple CMS htaccess ROOT file
# apache 2.4
#

# The following require certain allow overrides, if getting 500 error comment them out one by one
# can be resolved in apache httpd.conf to ensure security alternatives

# override charset
AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
#prevent directory listings
Options -Indexes

# Follow symbolink links, This is required for rewrites on some hosts
Options +FollowSymLinks

# Set the default handler.
DirectoryIndex index.php

# blocks direct access to the XML files - they hold all the data!
<Files ~ "\.xml$">
    <IfModule !mod_authz_core.c>
        Deny from all
    </IfModule>
    <IfModule mod_access_compat.c>
        Deny from all
    </IfModule>
    <IfModule mod_authz_core.c>
        <IfModule !mod_access_compat.c>
            Require all denied
        </IfModule>
    </IfModule>
</Files>
<Files sitemap.xml>
    <IfModule !mod_authz_core.c>
        Allow from all
    </IfModule>
    <IfModule mod_access_compat.c>
        Allow from all
    </IfModule>
    <IfModule mod_authz_core.c>
        <IfModule !mod_access_compat.c>
            Require all granted
        </IfModule>
    </IfModule>
</Files>
# handle rewrites for fancy urls
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
        RewriteEngine on

# Usually RewriteBase is just '/', but
# replace it with your subdirectory path

RewriteBase /public_html/SimpleCMS
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule /?([A-Za-z0-9_-]+)/?$ index.php?id=$1 [QSA,L]
    </IfModule>

The lines at the top are what my host put there so I have not touched it (I just added those lines into this file and made this file the active one).
------------

Ok. I was able to get the installation complete by commenting out this line:
Code:
AddDefaultCharset UTF-8

the php installation already has that enabled.

Now, the problem I am having is that the page within the admin folder come up empty. so I will have to go through the .htaccess file another line at a time.
Well, I have just discovered that the server that the site is running on has Litespeed as the server software. So until I get a server running on Apache then I can't go forward. Damn. This is so bloody annoying (not annoyed with GetSimple CMS but with the hosting service).
Well, after a lot of work and phone calls I have:

a) Changed hosting providers for the client
b) Got the Site uploaded and working
c) Installed GetSimple CMS
d) Had teething problems that took a few hrs to understand and fix via phone calls to the hosting co
e) Got the installation of GS sorted
f) Got the GS .htaccess file to work (filezilla had changed permissions on it!) apart from the UTF-8 line (commented out)
g) Saw the cpanel of GS. Yay!!!!

It looks REALLY, err, Simple!!!

I am looking forward to getting GS to run the blog/news section on the front page of http://theforensicnurse.org in the recent posts/popular posts section

I must admit that right off the bat the UI of GS is intuitive to navigate.