Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
News Manager (updated)
vincenzo's functions does not display the latest n posts with a given tag, but just the posts that have the tag from the latest n posts.
Maybe you set a high number of posts and then you don't notice this.

No, it's not in beta 5. I'll include in next beta.
(2013-06-22, 20:50:22)Carlos Wrote: vincenzo's functions does not display the latest n posts with a given tag, but just the posts that have the tag from the latest n posts.

Carlos, so I wait for the next beta.

Is there a tag to list posts in the future?
If people use it kind of event-list, they might want to publish the upcoming events

Cheers, Connie
|--

Das deutschsprachige GetSimple-(Unter-)Forum:   http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18
Thanks Connie and D.O.

Any other opinions?

(2013-06-22, 00:51:24)Carlos Wrote: Post titles currently have a link to the full post, in every news page: main, archives, ... I want to make it optional, at least for the single post page (as Oleg06 suggested)

I will add a new setting or variable (for use in gsconfig).

What name do you think sounds better:

NMTITLENOLINK
NMNOLINKEDTITLE
NMNOLINKINTITLE
...?

(any other suggestion?)
How to get post image for example to sidebar latest news section?
(2013-06-23, 02:36:18)Riianna Wrote: How to get post image for example to sidebar latest news section?

You have to install the News Manager Addons plugin:
http://www.cyberiada.org/cnb/news-manage...ns-plugin/
Instructions for using images:
http://get-simple.info/forums/showthread...3#pid37533
(2013-06-23, 02:50:41)Carlos Wrote:
(2013-06-23, 02:36:18)Riianna Wrote: How to get post image for example to sidebar latest news section?

You have to install the News Manager Addons plugin:
http://www.cyberiada.org/cnb/news-manage...ns-plugin/
Instructions for using images:
http://get-simple.info/forums/showthread...3#pid37533

Its working now, i just forgot to put that image thingy in gsconfig file.
(2013-06-22, 23:07:33)Connie Wrote:
(2013-06-22, 20:50:22)Carlos Wrote: vincenzo's functions does not display the latest n posts with a given tag, but just the posts that have the tag from the latest n posts.

Carlos, so I wait for the next beta.

For now I've included it in NM Addons 0.5
(I may add this functionality to NM in a future release, perhaps in nm_list_recent)

(2013-06-22, 23:07:33)Connie Wrote: Is there a tag to list posts in the future?
If people use it kind of event-list, they might want to publish the upcoming events

No, there isn't. It's in the to-do list.
News Manager 2.5 beta 6

1) You can now set (in gsconfig) the position of the Image input box in the post edit page:

$NMIMAGEINPUT = 0; // or FALSE : not visible
$NMIMAGEINPUT = 1; // in Options, first field
$NMIMAGEINPUT = 2; // or TRUE : in Options, last field
$NMIMAGEINPUT = 3; // directly visible above content
$NMIMAGEINPUT = 4; // directly visible below content

2) You can now remove the link from the post title, with a gsconfig setting.
Usage examples:

// remove link to self in single post title
$NMTITLENOLINK = 'single';

// remove link in post title in single, main and tag pages:
$NMTITLENOLINK = 'single, main, tag';

available strings:
single, main, tag, archive, search

[attachment removed: news_manager-2.5-beta6.zip (Downloads: 4) ]
hehe I have been wondering how you plan on managing all these settings one day, it almost needs to be an array now.

lol
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
Carlos, you really made a great work. You have filled various "voids" that made NM unattractive. Now GS - with the help of this plugin - is really close to the level of WP and company.
My website made with GetSimple CMS is

Arte & Società
www.artesocieta.eu

An indipendent website about Italian Contemporary Visual Arts
(2013-06-26, 03:31:24)shawn_a Wrote: hehe I have been wondering how you plan on managing all these settings one day, it almost needs to be an array now.

lol

There were 7 global variables in 2.2.x. I think I've only added 3 or 4 since then. :-)

I'll probably move almost everything to a global array (or two) some day (maybe in another, similar plugin - in fact it was my initial idea), but for now I'm trying to extend it a bit without changing too much the original design.
Wow, this is so awesome. The hyperlink in an opened article is the thing that irritated me the most, this is just... great. Thank you for your hard work, you're doing great. I would buy you a bear if I were going to Spain on holiday. Maybe in future years Smile
Tomáš Janeček - Multilingual personal website powered by GetSimple
» The little I did for GetSimple
@D.O. / @TeeJay Thanks for your kind comments.

...but I'd prefer a beer, I don't want animals at home.
carlos definetly deserves a beer and not a wild animal.
Smile
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
A big Ale for Carlos! :-D

Arte & Società
www.artesocieta.eu

:-)

Sorry for the cheap joke, TeeJay.
(2013-06-26, 16:01:07)Carlos Wrote: :-)

Sorry for the cheap joke, TeeJay.

I know it was just for a fun's sake, so it's okay. I'll keep the mistake as it for other people who long for laugh Smile

My bad, was really tired, almost sleeping after doing my best in a fitness gym and no matter how good at English I am, I can still make a mistake like this Smile

Don't you worry, I wouldn't buy you a bear, I meant a beer of course Wink

PS: In spite of all this, your comments made me laught, too Big Grin
Carlos.
NM is great now
but I may dare to remember you if it is possible to store the news by year?
P.S.
I will buy you a Tiger :-D

Arte & Società
www.artesocieta.eu

News Manager 2.5 beta 7 attached.
New features in this version:

- Image/file browser button for easy selection of pictures in data/uploads/ (or its subfolders)
(It works exactly like in I18N Custom Fields, Special Pages...)

- Optional yearly archives (instead of monthly).
Enable with this gsconfig setting:
Code:
$NMARCHIVESBY = 'y';

[Attachment removed: news_manager-2.5-beta7.zip (Downloads: 4) ]
YAY! I am gonna test it right now, THANKS CARLOS!

Arte & Società
www.artesocieta.eu

@TeeJay or others interested

As you know, News Manager is currently single-language but (since 2.4.0) it works with a I18N multilanguage site: you see the same posts on any language, but at least links in news pages are correctly generated (they don't take you to a page with a different language). However, texts like "Published on", "Older posts", etc. are always rendered in the language selected for the news page.

Here's a tip to translate those messages.
Let's suppose you have a default language, and English as secondary one.

Insert this code in your theme's functions.php file (create it if your theme hasn´t one, with <?php as first line):

Code:
if (isset($_GET['lang']) && $_GET['lang'] == 'en') {
  $nm_i18n["FOUND"]       = "The following posts have been found:";
  $nm_i18n["NOT_FOUND"]   = "Sorry, your search returned no hits.";
  $nm_i18n["NOT_EXIST"]   = "The requested post does not exist.";
  $nm_i18n["NO_POSTS"]    = "No posts have been found.";
  $nm_i18n["PUBLISHED"]   = "Published on";
  $nm_i18n["TAGS"]        = "Tags";
  $nm_i18n["OLDER_POSTS"] = "&larr; Older Posts";
  $nm_i18n["NEWER_POSTS"] = "Newer Posts &rarr;";
  $nm_i18n["SEARCH"]      = "Search";
  $nm_i18n["GO_BACK"]     = "&lt;&lt; Go back to the previous page";
  $nm_i18n["ELLIPSIS"]    = " [...]";
  $nm_i18n["LOCALE"]      = "en_US.utf8,en.utf8,en_US.UTF-8,en.UTF-8,en_US,en";
  $nm_i18n["DATE_FORMAT"] = "%b %e, %Y";
}

- No need to insert all lines, just those you want to redefine.
- Change 'en' by your prefered secondary language. You can use several conditionals (if (... }) if you have more than two languages).
News Manager 2.5 beta 8 attached to this post.
Added in this version (see the full info for new features in 2.5 beta here):

- tags beginning with underscore (_) are "hidden": they're invisible (under the posts, in the tag cloud), but are searchable (with ?tag= or /tag/ in the URL)

- extra Save post and Save settings buttons in admin sidebar (like in GS)

- you can now set a default folder for the image browser:
By default, the file browser lets you select images in the data/uploads folder. If you want to select from a certain subfolder, you can use this gsconfig setting:
Code:
$NMIMAGEDIR = 'images';
(default subdirectory for image selection, relative to data/uploads - e.g. 'images' for data/uploads/images/)

- added Italian language (@GPB61)

Attachment removed: news_manager-2.5-beta8.zip (Downloads: 12)
(2013-07-06, 19:38:02)Carlos Wrote: - tags beginning with underscore (_) are "hidden": they're invisible (under the posts, in the tag cloud), but are searchable (with ?tag= or /tag/ in the URL)
That is great, now we can do multilingual sites so that in every lang version of the site will be posts in the desired language only Smile

However, you need to use pretty URLs and custom permalink structure so that every language has a different URL. Then, you rewrite your URL of the page where your posts are being shown to the new one with the tag that differs your posts by language (for example _en, _de, etc.).

If the URL for the page with your posts is in default language (let's say Czech with tags _cz) like this this
Code:
http://(www).domain.com/news/
and for a another language (let's say English with tags _en) this
Code:
http://(www).domain.com/en/news/

This rewrite rule should rewrite your URL to the desired tag. Put it into your htaccess somewhere after "RewriteEngine on". For default language...
Code:
RewriteRule ^news/$ tag/_cz [R=301,QSA,L]
and this for the other language
Code:
RewriteRule ^en/news/$ en/tag/_en [R=301,QSA,L]

You have to write a rule for every new language (Rule #2) or it could be "general". The second rule would look like this then:
Code:
RewriteRule ^([^/])/news/$ $1/tag/_$1 [R=301,QSA,L]

I'm not sure if these rules are correct, but I think they are. You can try it. Be careful, R=301 means that it's permanent redirection, that means that it's cached by your browser and you need to clear your cache after every change in the htaccess. You can change it to R=302 or just "R" for a temporary redirection.

I'm just creating a new personal site which is not going to be multilingual as I don't need it at all, but I hope I'll try this redirection soon. It should work if I didn't make any mistake.
Interesting. I was thinking more about emulating categories when I added this... well, actually it's the same concept.
I have in mind adding (basic) support for multilanguage news. It was not my priority (there are/were some other things I wanted to do first), and I wanted to think a bit about the way to implement it (this is a bigger change).
I will probably not be able to do anything about this soon, but in the meantime, ideas and opinions are welcome.

What do you (anyone) think would be better?

1. mvlcek's I18N way: slugs post-1, post-1_en, etc. (files post-1.xml, post-1_en.xml in data/posts folder)

2. subfolders for additional languages: post-1.xml in data/posts, post-1.xml (English version) in data/posts/en

3. additional fields in posts: title and content for main language, title_en and content_en for the English version, etc. and:
- several (ck)editor instances in the Edit Post page, or
- select language when editing and only have one (ck)editor instance for that language

4. ...?

Options 2 and 3 look nicer to me, but 1 has one thing I like: easy to import-export convert from/to GS normal pages (I'm interested on this, which almost works right now)