Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
News Manager (updated)
News Manager 2.5 beta 13 (attached)
(those using betas 10-12 please read this)

- New functions (or template tags) for use in templates or components
- New "Custom settings" input box in the backend settings
- A new "experimental" option: support for post authors

More info / backend settings screenshot

Attachment removed: news_manager-2.5-beta13.zip (Downloads: 22)
Great. I am going to test it!
My website made with GetSimple CMS is

Arte & Società
www.artesocieta.eu

An indipendent website about Italian Contemporary Visual Arts
I see that there are new additions to this plugin!!! Awesome.

I'm not sure but can we add only by year to the archives now?

nm_list_archives();

Currently it prints out each month with year. Can you have it just as year?

I'm using 2.4.4

I've got a 100 posts Smile

thanks!
Lance
(2013-10-19, 06:59:12)lnickel Wrote: I see that there are new additions to this plugin!!! Awesome.

I'm not sure but can we add only by year to the archives now?

nm_list_archives();

Currently it prints out each month with year. Can you have it just as year?

I'm using 2.4.4

That's still not possible with 2.4.x, but will be with 2.5.x

In the last couple 2.5 betas you can find these new options in settings:

- Enable archives: [By month / By year]
- Add "read more" link to excerpts: [No / Yes / Always]
- Link to post in title: [Yes / No / Except in single post view]
- "Go back" link in single post view: [Previously visited page / Main News page / No]
- Enable post images: [No / Yes / Except in single post view / Main News Page]
... and some settings for post images

In 2.5 beta 13 there's a new input box where you can (optionally) define your custom settings (as described in my previous post)

I suggest you check it in a test install. Feedback, as always, is very welcome.
Thanks Carlos! I will test it out. Very much appreciate the plugin
These are the new strings in the NM 2.5 beta language file, for which I need translations:

Code:
"ENABLE_ARCHIVES"     =>  "Enable archives",
"BY_MONTH"            =>  "By month",
"BY_YEAR"             =>  "By year",
"READ_MORE_LINK"      =>  "Add \"read more\" link to excerpts",
"ALWAYS"              =>  "Always",
"NOT_SINGLE"          =>  "Except in single post view",
"GO_BACK_LINK"        =>  "\"Go back\" link in single post view",
"TITLE_LINK"          =>  "Link to post in title",
"BROWSER_BACK"        =>  "Previously visited page",
"MAIN_NEWS_PAGE"      =>  "Main News Page",
"ENABLE_IMAGES"       =>  "Enable post images",
"IMAGE_LINKS"         =>  "Link images to posts",
"IMAGE_WIDTH"         =>  "Post image width (pixels)",
"IMAGE_HEIGHT"        =>  "Post image height (pixels)",
"FULL"                =>  "full",
"IMAGE_CROP"          =>  "Crop post images to fit width/height ratio",
"IMAGE_ALT"           =>  "Insert post title in post image <em>alt</em> attribute",
"CUSTOM_SETTINGS"     =>  "Custom settings",
# frontend:
"AUTHOR"              =>  "Author:",

Thank you in advance.
Lightbulb 
I found a valid idea why you might want to override META DESCRIPTION with a Post's Title.

I have Facebook set up to post links as they get added to my RSS feed. The RSS plugin for News Manager works great for this.

When Facebook posts the link, it is using META DESCRIPTION to describe the page (makes sense when you think about it).

But, of course, that meta tag is at best, generic. If it could be set to show the Blog Entry title, that would be more useful.
I am using the Updater plugin to make sure that I never miss an update. But, this doesn't work for News Manager (updated).

Something within the code that you maintain, reports that the newest version incorrectly:

News Manager 2.4.4 2.2.4 Latest version installed

Since 2.4.4 > 2.2.4, the Updater always reports as Latest Version Installed.

Isn't 2.2.4 the last version of the original News Manager?

You are doing beautiful work maintaining and extending News Manager. I would love to be able to use the Updater in order to be sure that I always have your latest-and-greatest.
Carlos, maybe this is a feature request for the News Manager Title plugin?

Would that be possible?

(2013-10-22, 22:01:17)stevenjaycohen Wrote: I found a valid idea why you might want to override META DESCRIPTION with a Post's Title.

I have Facebook set up to post links as they get added to my RSS feed. The RSS plugin for News Manager works great for this.

When Facebook posts the link, it is using META DESCRIPTION to describe the page (makes sense when you think about it).

But, of course, that meta tag is at best, generic. If it could be set to show the Blog Entry title, that would be more useful.
(2013-10-20, 18:41:05)Carlos Wrote: These are the new strings in the NM 2.5 beta language file, for which I need translations:

Code:
"ENABLE_ARCHIVES"     =>  "Enable archives",
"BY_MONTH"            =>  "By month",
"BY_YEAR"             =>  "By year",
"READ_MORE_LINK"      =>  "Add \"read more\" link to excerpts",
"ALWAYS"              =>  "Always",
"NOT_SINGLE"          =>  "Except in single post view",
"GO_BACK_LINK"        =>  "\"Go back\" link in single post view",
"TITLE_LINK"          =>  "Link to post in title",
"BROWSER_BACK"        =>  "Previously visited page",
"MAIN_NEWS_PAGE"      =>  "Main News Page",
"ENABLE_IMAGES"       =>  "Enable post images",
"IMAGE_LINKS"         =>  "Link images to posts",
"IMAGE_WIDTH"         =>  "Post image width (pixels)",
"IMAGE_HEIGHT"        =>  "Post image height (pixels)",
"FULL"                =>  "full",
"IMAGE_CROP"          =>  "Crop post images to fit width/height ratio",
"IMAGE_ALT"           =>  "Insert post title in post image <em>alt</em> attribute",
"CUSTOM_SETTINGS"     =>  "Custom settings",
# frontend:
"AUTHOR"              =>  "Author:",

Thank you in advance.

Translated to Czech lang and added to the czech translation file. Btw, you seem to have forgotten adding my updated translation,, but that's not a big deal - download the one in this post's attachment. It's ready for the latest beta and already includes the strings you wanted to translate.

(2013-10-22, 22:01:17)stevenjaycohen Wrote: I found a valid idea why you might want to override META DESCRIPTION with a Post's Title.

Have a look at Facebook's implementation of Open Graph protocol. Facebook takes og:description meta tag at the first place. If not found, then it takes the standard meta description.

These are my extra metatags for facebook only:
Code:
<meta property="fb:admins" content="teejay.net">
    <meta property="og:locale" content="cs_CZ">
    <meta property="og:site_name" content="<?php get_site_name(); ?>">
    <meta property="og:image" content="<?php get_theme_url(); ?>/images/facebook-300-300.png">    
    <meta property="og:title" content="<?php nm_post_title() or get_page_clean_title(); ?> | <?php get_site_name(); ?>">
    <meta property="og:description" content="Osobní web Tomáše Janečka">
    <meta property="og:type" content="website">
    <meta property="og:url" content="<?php echo get_full_url(); ?>">

I guess you see what they're for.

But yeah, I would also appreciate if I could add something better to the og:description tag, not just a text which is the same for every GS page.

Carlos, it would be nice if you could create a variable that would include the content of the excerpt for each post. These tags would make much more sense right after Smile
Having also a variable for a post's image (including its path ideally), it would be ever greater. However there might be some troubles with this due to the resize function - I'm not sure about it, depends if the image is resized just once and then permanently stored or resized more often - I don't really know.

Attached Files
.php   cs_CZ.php (Size: 6.08 KB / Downloads: 1)
Tomáš Janeček - Multilingual personal website powered by GetSimple
» The little I did for GetSimple
(2013-10-22, 22:07:07)stevenjaycohen Wrote: I am using the Updater plugin to make sure that I never miss an update. But, this doesn't work for News Manager (updated).

Something within the code that you maintain, reports that the newest version incorrectly:

I already had commented about this issue:
http://get-simple.info/forums/showthread...7#pid33317
http://get-simple.info/forums/showthread...1#pid36071
It's not the plugin's code, it's GS itself when it checks Extend.

A solution would be renaming the plugin to something different instead of news_manager.php
I've been leaving this for later, as I should also rename some plugin folders, etc...
Oh! Sorry! I forgot that I had asked about this earlier.
Happy to hear that renaming the plugin is on the roadmap!

(2013-10-23, 05:18:23)Carlos Wrote: It's not the plugin's code, it's GS itself when it checks Extend.

A solution would be renaming the plugin to something different instead of news_manager.php
I've been leaving this for later, as I should also rename some plugin folders, etc...
(2013-10-23, 03:22:37)TeeJay Wrote: Translated to Czech lang and added to the czech translation file. Btw, you seem to have forgotten adding my updated translation,, but that's not a big deal - download the one in this post's attachment. It's ready for the latest beta and already includes the strings you wanted to translate.

Sorry! I downloaded it back then, but it seems I did not update the dev version. I've just updated it. Thanks!
As you probably know, a new feature that will be available in 2.5 will allow to associate each post with an image (which can be displayed as a thumbnail).
I'm using the term "post images" to describe this in the backend settings.

Do you think it's appropriate? I didn't want to use "post thumbnails" because it's not exact, as images can also be shown in full size. Maybe I should call it "featured images" just like WordPress does.
Opinions?
(2013-10-26, 17:50:52)Carlos Wrote: As you probably know, a new feature that will be available in 2.5 will allow to associate each post with an image (which can be displayed as a thumbnail).
I'm using the term "post images" to describe this in the backend settings.

Do you think it's appropriate? I didn't want to use "post thumbnails" because it's not exact, as images can also be shown in full size. Maybe I should call it "featured images" just like WordPress does.
Opinions?

In my opinion it's okay as it is, it's quite clear that a post has an image.

"Featured images" sounds strange, it feels like it's a blog of images instead of posts... this just doesn't feel right.

I propose to keep it as it is in beta Smile don't worry about such little thing.
Tomáš Janeček - Multilingual personal website powered by GetSimple
» The little I did for GetSimple
Thank you TeeJay. I'll leave it like it is.

I thought that people may be used to "featured images" as it is how WP calls them.

I hope that every translator uses the most appropriate term in his/her language.
Sorry, don't see any admin panel. Any suggestions?
When you're in GS admin panel,
section "Pages", at your left side,
there is "News Manager", click on it.
That's all.

(2013-11-03, 12:36:49)tresero Wrote: Sorry, don't see any admin panel. Any suggestions?
My website made with GetSimple CMS is

Arte & Società
www.artesocieta.eu

An indipendent website about Italian Contemporary Visual Arts
Hello.
Is there any chance the News Manager Addons plugin functions will become core functions in any future version of News Manager?
Yes there is. In fact that was the idea, but I'm not sure which functions will, and if they will be/work exactly the same (it's kind of a temporary workaround)
Which NM Addons functions are you using?
Well actually I'm using randomly the functions but to be more specific I'm interested in the custom templating (like the NM Addons nm_custom_display_posts()).
Also (not sure if this already part of the latest NM) to be able to set max number of recent posts and excerpt without setting it globally in the backend.
I'm receiving the following error on the /tag/exampletag page for tags that include an apostrophe/single quote:

Notice: Undefined index: O'Reilly in /news_manager/inc/site.php on line 52 Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /news_manager/inc/site.php on line 53

Example tag above is O'Reilly. Is there a way or optimum place to escape the tag string to avoid this? I'm using an older version (2.2.4) but using the latest didn't resolve the issue.
(2013-11-11, 13:55:23)jsmcgraw Wrote: I'm receiving the following error on the /tag/exampletag page for tags that include an apostrophe/single quote:

Notice: Undefined index: O'Reilly in /news_manager/inc/site.php on line 52 Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /news_manager/inc/site.php on line 53

Example tag above is O'Reilly. Is there a way or optimum place to escape the tag string to avoid this? I'm using an older version (2.2.4) but using the latest didn't resolve the issue.

Currently there's no way to escape apostrophes (and many other non-alphanumeric characters) in tags. A workaround would be not using them, like OReilly

I'll add this to the to-do list.

PS You get errors if you use old versions. Recent ones simply show no posts. Anyway I suggest you use the latest stable one - there are many other issues that have been fixed since 2.2.4
(2013-11-12, 03:44:34)Carlos Wrote: Currently there's no way to escape apostrophes (and many other non-alphanumeric characters) in tags. A workaround would be not using them, like OReilly

I'll add this to the to-do list.

PS You get errors if you use old versions. Recent ones simply show no posts. Anyway I suggest you use the latest stable one - there are many other issues that have been fixed since 2.2.4

Thanks.
I think I've fixed this (commit at GitHub).
Next 2.5 beta will allow single/double quotes, spaces and many other characters in tags.

If you need this now in the stable version I can tell you what patches must be done to 2.4.4, or maybe release a version 2.4.5 just with these changes.