Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
News Manager (updated)
(2015-01-22, 16:24:20)TrueWarrior Wrote: Hello,
i love your plugin Big Grin
Is there any chance to integrate to posts facebook sharing ?
So i could add button to every post and user can share it on facebook.

Go to GetSimple Admin -> Themes -> Components, create a component named nm-facebook-share (for example) with this code:
Code:
<p>
<a target="_blank" href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=<?php echo urlencode(nm_post_url(false)); ?>">Share this post on Facebook</a>
</p>

Go to News Manager Settings, enable Custom settings and enter this below:
Code:
single componentBottomPost nm-facebook-share
or this, if you prefer to have the link outside the post's <div> container:
Code:
single componentAfterPost nm-facebook-share

Of course you can (or will want to) customize the component to suit your needs (html code, link text, image button, or whatever).
when I'm trying to change Fancy URL from %language%/%parent%/%slug%/ to %parent%/%slug%/ (Published on...Read more...) translations stopped working in multilingual site.
This is how it should be or htaccess file is the case?
Hello again,
thanks for your help with FB integration i was able to add facebook button
but i don't know where to put my og meta tags to make them gather content from post so shared post on fb have my post information.

I added to my template.php <head>
something like this:
<meta property="og:title" content="<?php $title; ?> | <?php get_site_name(); ?>">

but still after click on share i get just site name so it wont take my post content (in this case title)

anyone can help me please ?
The <head> section in your template.php file is the right place to put your code.

You could use something like:
Code:
<meta property="og:title" content="<?php nm_post_title() or get_page_clean_title(); ?> | <?php get_site_name(); ?>">
(Echoes the post title, or the page title if it's not a post.)
Still no luck :-(
@TrueWarrior

I'm a little bit late but I somehow didn't notice the pagination going further, so this is my tutorial... hope it helps... someone.

There are multiple ways ho to do it.

The inevitable part is getting the Share Button code from here. You can easily generate it and customize it appearance.

Then you have to paste the code somewhere
  • Option 1 - bad solution - paste the code your posts' template in /plugins/news_manager/inc/site.php, that's where you find the template for your posts; but I don't really recommend this way - it's hardcoding, you have to do it again with each update of News Manager
  • Option 2 - using components, a bit more complicated for the first look, but it's actually not, it's the best solution you can easily manage yourself Smile follow these few simple steps
  • Go to your News Manager settings in the backend, allow custom settings and write there
    Code:
    single componentbottompost author_social
  • Still in the backend, go to Theme => Edit components
  • Create a new component called "author_social" and paste there the code you generated in the first step

Btw, you can name the component anyhow you want, but it has to match the name given in News Manager settings, my choice was "author_social". I use multiple share buttons (twitter, g+, fb share and like) there. If you wanted to have the same share buttons as I do, just paste into the "author_social" component a little bit more of code you can also generate somewhere on the internet, this is the code I use:
Code:
<div id="sharing">
  <div id="facebook">
    <!-- Facebook Sharing -->
    <div id="fb-root"></div>
    <script>(function(d, s, id) {
      var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];
      if (d.getElementById(id)) return;
      js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id;
      js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_GB/all.js#xfbml=1";
      fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);
    }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script>
    <div class="fb-like" data-href="<?php nm_post_url(); ?>" data-layout="button_count" data-action="like" data-show-faces="false" data-share="false"></div>
    <div class="fb-share-button" data-href="<?php nm_post_url(); ?>" data-type="button"></div>
  </div>
  <div id="twitter">
    <!-- Twitter Sharing -->
    <a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button">Tweet</a>
    <script>!function(d,s,id){var js,fjs=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0],p=/^http:/.test(d.location)?'http':'https';if(!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);js.id=id;js.src=p+'://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js';fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document, 'script', 'twitter-wjs');</script>
  </div>
  <div id="google">    
    <!-- Google+ Sharing -->
    <div class="g-plus" data-action="share" data-annotation="bubble"></div>
    <script type="text/javascript">
      window.___gcfg = {lang: 'en-GB'};
      (function() {
        var po = document.createElement('script'); po.type = 'text/javascript'; po.async = true;
        po.src = 'https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js';
        var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(po, s);
      })();
    </script>
  </div>
</div>

This is how it looks with a little bit of styling
[Image: B2t5D.jpg]
Feel free to check News Manager posts on my website in my signature below.

Good luck Smile
Tomáš Janeček - Multilingual personal website powered by GetSimple
» The little I did for GetSimple
(2015-01-28, 03:19:41)TeeJay Wrote: @TrueWarrior

I'm a little bit late but I somehow didn't notice the pagination going further, so this is my tutorial... hope it helps... someone.

There are multiple ways ho to do it.

The inevitable part is getting the Share Button code from here. You can easily generate it and customize it appearance.

Then you have to paste the code somewhere
  • Option 1 - bad solution - paste the code your posts' template in /plugins/news_manager/inc/site.php, that's where you find the template for your posts; but I don't really recommend this way - it's hardcoding, you have to do it again with each update of News Manager
  • Option 2 - using components, a bit more complicated for the first look, but it's actually not, it's the best solution you can easily manage yourself Smile follow these few simple steps
  • Go to your News Manager settings in the backend, allow custom settings and write there
    Code:
    single componentbottompost author_social
  • Still in the backend, go to Theme => Edit components
  • Create a new component called "author_social" and paste there the code you generated in the first step

Btw, you can name the component anyhow you want, but it has to match the name given in News Manager settings, my choice was "author_social". I use multiple share buttons (twitter, g+, fb share and like) there. If you wanted to have the same share buttons as I do, just paste into the "author_social" component a little bit more of code you can also generate somewhere on the internet, this is the code I use:
Code:
<div id="sharing">
  <div id="facebook">
    <!-- Facebook Sharing -->
    <div id="fb-root"></div>
    <script>(function(d, s, id) {
      var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];
      if (d.getElementById(id)) return;
      js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id;
      js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_GB/all.js#xfbml=1";
      fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);
    }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script>
    <div class="fb-like" data-href="<?php nm_post_url(); ?>" data-layout="button_count" data-action="like" data-show-faces="false" data-share="false"></div>
    <div class="fb-share-button" data-href="<?php nm_post_url(); ?>" data-type="button"></div>
  </div>
  <div id="twitter">
    <!-- Twitter Sharing -->
    <a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button">Tweet</a>
    <script>!function(d,s,id){var js,fjs=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0],p=/^http:/.test(d.location)?'http':'https';if(!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);js.id=id;js.src=p+'://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js';fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document, 'script', 'twitter-wjs');</script>
  </div>
  <div id="google">    
    <!-- Google+ Sharing -->
    <div class="g-plus" data-action="share" data-annotation="bubble"></div>
    <script type="text/javascript">
      window.___gcfg = {lang: 'en-GB'};
      (function() {
        var po = document.createElement('script'); po.type = 'text/javascript'; po.async = true;
        po.src = 'https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js';
        var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(po, s);
      })();
    </script>
  </div>
</div>

This is how it looks with a little bit of styling
[Image: B2t5D.jpg]
Feel free to check News Manager posts on my website in my signature below.

Good luck Smile

Well the problem is not with placing buttons, problem is in that they dont share proper content - after clicking share it should share post name, image and post content and in my case it only share main site content
Then just add open graph meta tags into your head with proper content.

This is how I do it:
Code:
<?php
global $pageURL;

$pageURL = 'http';
if ($_SERVER["HTTPS"] == "on") {$pageURL .= "s";}
$pageURL .= "://";
if ($_SERVER["SERVER_PORT"] != "80") {
$pageURL .= $_SERVER["SERVER_NAME"].":".$_SERVER["SERVER_PORT"].$_SERVER["REQUEST_URI"];
} else {
$pageURL .= $_SERVER["SERVER_NAME"].$_SERVER["REQUEST_URI"];
}
?>

<meta property="og:locale" content="cs_CZ">
<meta property="og:site_name" content="<?php get_site_name(); ?>">
<?php if (nm_post_has_image()) { ?>
<meta property="og:image" content="<?php nm_post_image_url(900,471,1); ?>">
<?php } ?>  
<meta property="og:image" content="<?php get_theme_url(); ?>/images/facebook-300-300.png">    
<meta property="og:title" content="<?php if (nm_is_single()) { nm_post_title(); ?> | <?php get_site_name(); } else { echo(get_custom_title_tag()); }?>">
<meta property="og:description" content="<?php nm_post_excerpt(225) or get_page_excerpt(225); ?>">
<meta property="og:type" content="website">
<meta property="og:url" content="<?php echo $pageURL; ?>">
(2015-01-28, 21:13:17)TeeJay Wrote:
(2015-01-28, 17:20:52)TrueWarrior Wrote: Well the problem is not with placing buttons, problem is in that they dont share proper content - after clicking share it should share post name, image and post content and in my case it only share main site content

Then just add open graph meta tags into your head with proper content.

This is how I do it:
Code:
<?php
global $pageURL;

$pageURL = 'http';
if ($_SERVER["HTTPS"] == "on") {$pageURL .= "s";}
$pageURL .= "://";
if ($_SERVER["SERVER_PORT"] != "80") {
$pageURL .= $_SERVER["SERVER_NAME"].":".$_SERVER["SERVER_PORT"].$_SERVER["REQUEST_URI"];
} else {
$pageURL .= $_SERVER["SERVER_NAME"].$_SERVER["REQUEST_URI"];
}
?>

<meta property="og:locale" content="cs_CZ">
<meta property="og:site_name" content="<?php get_site_name(); ?>">
<?php if (nm_post_has_image()) { ?>
<meta property="og:image" content="<?php nm_post_image_url(900,471,1); ?>">
<?php } ?>  
<meta property="og:image" content="<?php get_theme_url(); ?>/images/facebook-300-300.png">    
<meta property="og:title" content="<?php if (nm_is_single()) { nm_post_title(); ?> | <?php get_site_name(); } else { echo(get_custom_title_tag()); }?>">
<meta property="og:description" content="<?php nm_post_excerpt(225) or get_page_excerpt(225); ?>">
<meta property="og:type" content="website">
<meta property="og:url" content="<?php echo $pageURL; ?>">
after adding this to my page it wont load and go just blank o O
you can se this here http://truewarriors.eu/getsimple/
Sorry, I got the problem now.
In fact I'm also using Custom Title plugin and I guess your not, so you're basically calling an undefined function get_custom_title_tag() which makes your page go blank.

Therefore, you have to do either of these things:
  1. install the plugin, or
  2. replace the og:title row with what Carlos suggested
    Code:
    <meta property="og:title" content="<?php nm_post_title() or get_page_clean_title(); ?> | <?php get_site_name(); ?>">
It should make everything okay Smile
(2015-01-29, 20:34:57)TeeJay Wrote:
(2015-01-29, 19:09:32)TrueWarrior Wrote: after adding this to my page it wont load and go just blank o O
you can se this here http://truewarriors.eu/getsimple/

Sorry, I got the problem now.
In fact I'm also using Custom Title plugin and I guess your not, so you're basically calling an undefined function get_custom_title_tag() which makes your page go blank.

Therefore, you have to do either of these things:
  1. install the plugin, or
  2. replace the og:title row with what Carlos suggested
    Code:
It should make everything okay Smile
Tried both ways, now i have plugin installed but results are the same.
Nothing is gathered to Facebook share: post title, content etc

i'm sorry for taking your time
You have an extra <HEAD> section (with empty meta properties) before the start of the html document. Take a look at your page's source code. Maybe it's failing because of that. Anyway, it's incorrect.
(2015-01-30, 00:37:18)Carlos Wrote: You have an extra <HEAD> section (with empty meta properties) before the start of the html document. Take a look at your page's source code. Maybe it's failing because of that. Anyway, it's incorrect.

Yes it was doubled, but after fixing this, still not work :-(.
Strange thing is when i check page source there are og tags with proper content but its like share button don't get content from them.
Your HTML is still messed up a lil bit (more) Smile

Check your source code via Firefox or Chrome and you'll see for yourself.
This is a screenshot for you showing a part of the problem http://i.snag.gy/PjRDq.jpg.

Also I can recommend you using W3C Validator, you'll see a bunch of errors that you should get rid of. For instance, see here.

You cannot have any content element in your head (like the calendar) as that immediately closes the head tag and the rest of your meta tags is lost right away.
Just to give you a hint where to start - you can see that in the middle of your og:description tag, you're starting a CSS link! You just can't do that, man Smile
(2015-01-30, 05:18:52)TeeJay Wrote: Your HTML is still messed up a lil bit (more) Smile

Check your source code via Firefox or Chrome and you'll see for yourself.
This is a screenshot for you showing a part of the problem http://i.snag.gy/PjRDq.jpg.

Also I can recommend you using W3C Validator, you'll see a bunch of errors that you should get rid of. For instance, see here.

You cannot have any content element in your head (like the calendar) as that immediately closes the head tag and the rest of your meta tags is lost right away.
Just to give you a hint where to start - you can see that in the middle of your og:description tag, you're starting a CSS link! You just can't do that, man Smile

woah i wasn't checking calendar page for long time and last time was fine.
Thanks !!! i will use w3c validator and fix those things. Hope it will help.
Well i cleanup those errors but it is not the case, share button still don't work and doesn't get post content to sharing i think i give up Sad
I don't want to offend your opinion but I've just tried sharing your Post 1 manually and then via the share button and it works flawlessly in both cases :)
any way to make categories in nm like gs blog
nm fast and simple with image and no need to upload a thumbnail

Cheers
(2015-02-02, 17:10:10)Roamer Wrote: any way to make categories in nm like gs blog
nm fast and simple with image and no need to upload a thumbnail

Currently there's no way to have categories. An alternative is using tags.
When do the news manager start paginating the news list? I've posted about 30 news items so far.
(2015-02-03, 19:56:02)domscatterbrain Wrote: When do the news manager start paginating the news list? I've posted about 30 news items so far.

News Manager -> Settings -> Number of posts on News Page:
(enter the maximum number of posts per page there)
News Manager 3.1 beta 25 available for testing.

- Several more issues fixed.
- Tag pages now included in Sitemap
- Custom classes for html elements (@Oleg06)
- Somewhat customizable navigation (markup, classes)

Feedback much appreciated, as always.

I think I will not add any more features for 3.1 (leaving some stuff for 3.2)
Is there anyway to get post excerpt to display only on the front page like a description while not displayed in single post view ?

also is customising the layout done in site.php ?

Cheers
(2015-02-08, 07:45:08)Roamer Wrote: Is there anyway to get post excerpt to display only on the front page like a description while not displayed in single post view ?

You can select Full Text or Excerpt in News Manager Settings.

(2015-02-08, 07:45:08)Roamer Wrote: also is customising the layout done in site.php ?

You can somewhat customize the posts layout (markup, fields order, etc.), see "Custom Settings" and "Posts layout" here.

(version 3.1 will have some more custom settings to customize classes)
Hey guys,

I'm new to get-simple and recently started to created a first website using GS.

I would like to know if it's possible to add tags as an additional class to the nm_post item. For example, if you going to create a new post and set the tag "foo", the rendered output looks something like this <div class="nm_post foo">.

Is this somehow possible?