Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Get Simple Content
I am just wondering. Is Get Simple stable enough to handle regular content such as new pages, updated News Articles etc.

I want to deploy it as my main site for my web design services and a blog but something in my gut is telling me that at some point my site will load and suddenly have corrupt xml data or something will mess up causing bugs like content not being edited or unable to delete content etc.

I already ran in to this issue twice and had to reload the script because it wouldn't delete a category in a plugin or a page name that had an & symbol in the title would no longer be deletable or editable.

Im just wondering what some of your experiences are and if there are any examples of slightly larger site running Get Simple?

Im not talking massive thousand post and page sites im just talking about regularly updated content sites. Any input would be helpful. Ive been using Web Site Baker and sNews for the bulk of my projects but want to give this one a go.
It's all about plugins, as I've stepped into troubles - nothing not recoverable though.
GS core is very stable, as long as you use stable versions.

You can always base on i18n plugins, as they base on GS pages as much as it is possible.
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
I've deployed some very high traffic major sites using GetSimple CMS
In the hundreds of pages range, with thousands of pageviews per day...

Then there's always our own site get-simple.info , it uses a heavily modified version of GetSimple CMS and it's very stable and reliable.
Thanks for the responses I had a feeling the issues i experienced were plugin related, one plugin was larger than 3 of the cores combined but sounded like a decent news manager but it turned around and practically rewrote things then of course it was buggy anyway with the whole delete item issue but still had to rename a few files just to get the site back to normal. Stupid thing even created its own pages on a whim.

But I do like working with get simple, i just wish there were some more devoted plugin developers for it but the CMS's I actually like using are always plugin limited or have an outdated plugin problem. Been doing everything I possibly can to not jump on the wordpress bandwagon, im the only designer I know that despises that software so much that id use Wonder CMS for a major site before using it again
Haha I've been a WordPress hater for a while now. It is rare that I come across a client site that would actually be good for WordPress.
I use gs on 3 production sites, I even converted my dynamic sql based stuff to load through gs as components.

If you have issues, its probably plugin related, there are some mediocre plugins out there, or badly programmed ones, just old and un-maintained ones. Make sure you use plugins that have active authors or even better github repos, that anyone can fork and fix.

We have a couple dedicated developers, one day we will have some more that crank out high quality plugins, and some of the ones we have mature.
The gsblog plugin is still new but has matured at very good speed.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
What type of plugins are you wanting?
JWH Technologies
Have any marketing ideas for Get-Simple? Let me hear them!
Honestly the biggest adons/ plugins I would like to see become a part of the get simple core are.

1. The ability to add meta descriptions in every page
2. Integrated search that will search every bit of content regardless of plugin even if it was just a script to build search results and it just saved all the content like a sort of search index. The search plugins I have found are extremely limited or just useful for searching the specific plugins content.
3. Complete site map creation including posted content
4. Would really like to see a form of catagory/posting system built in that could be Breadcrumbed, im not talking a full out blogging engine just posting that could be defined as News but be treated roughly like pages, Something like the News manager plugin but could list the Recent posts in the side bar. Something basic and simple that could hold Meta keywords and descriptions for each post. Using plugins for those just makes me feel like the site runs an integrity collapse risk.

If the News Manager dev would fix the Plushed date not showing problem I would probably just try and go with it oppose to the GS blog ive settled on which has errors of its own.

Really if there was a way to take everything sNews does at the core level for pages, posting, search site map, archive and be able to do something similar with Get Simple even if its just some extra template tags that would need to be added to build the pages.

I only mention sNews because of its incredibly small package but it pushes out one of the most seo optimized web sites I have ever worked with. Im actually doing a .com and .net site both colored differently but having the same content one just running Get Simple the other sNews. Going to be somewhat of a comparison for me and my clients.

Side note. I really hate Wordpress because every designer I come across barks about it like its a new incarnation of Jesus himself yet when I see them design they have to take an already built template and push there little modifications in and then they claim it to be there own work and actually charge there own customers hundreds of dollars for it. Plus every training ad I ever seen for it emphasizes no php knowledge required but I have yet to watch any of the videos where they do not use php just as much as html just to get a loop to work.

And the only simple part of Wordpress posting to the blog or making a page any option beyond either of those sparks so many questions from customers it has a tendency to make me regret ever using it.
(2012-12-08, 01:22:23)bhwebco Wrote: Honestly the biggest adons/ plugins I would like to see become a part of the get simple core are.

I disagree. The core should be kept as small as possible. But maybe release a bundle with some plugins...

(2012-12-08, 01:22:23)bhwebco Wrote: 1. The ability to add meta descriptions in every page

You can already do this - there is a field meta description in the page options...

(2012-12-08, 01:22:23)bhwebco Wrote: 2. Integrated search that will search every bit of content regardless of plugin even if it was just a script to build search results and it just saved all the content like a sort of search index. The search plugins I have found are extremely limited or just useful for searching the specific plugins content.

See the I18N Search plugin. It is easily extensible to index all content (tell your favorite plugin's author)...

(2012-12-08, 01:22:23)bhwebco Wrote: 3. Complete site map creation including posted content
4. Would really like to see a form of catagory/posting system built in that could be Breadcrumbed, im not talking a full out blogging engine just posting that could be defined as News but be treated roughly like pages, Something like the News manager plugin but could list the Recent posts in the side bar. Something basic and simple that could hold Meta keywords and descriptions for each post. Using plugins for those just makes me feel like the site runs an integrity collapse risk.

Using the I18N Special Pages plugin together with the I18N Search plugin you should be able to do all this.
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.
I dont know how I manage to not pay attention to plugins ive actually tried. That I8 search is great since you mentioned it I actually went and looked at it

In your opinion would there be an effective way to just use the Get Simple pages to act as a blog system such as

Blog be the main page
Then childs of blog be categories
then childs of the categories actually be the posting.

In my mind its seems like it would be a more stable way of making posts and let them be searchable would just have to figure out how to list things in the side bar such as recents and what not. I really need to re grasp php so I can start doing more with the code side myself.

With that i8 collapsable page list in the admin it kind of seems doable and would integrate pretty good since it already has meta descriptions and everything "Another feature I somehow missed even though I created a number of pages and had to have seen that every time."
I was thinking about this the other day, maybe we can implement a news type core system with categories.
Normal pages would be assigned a category.
Categories would contain various configurations, like title tokens (date tokens for example)

Then we have some simple category core functions like a category display page, that displays a specific category, or date range or whatever filters on any other metric a category provides.

Categories can also have excerpt templates.

And category pages can be grouped/filtered by category for editing in pages, not all lumped together.
(2012-12-08, 14:44:54)shawn_a Wrote: I was thinking about this the other day, maybe we can implement a news type core system with categories.
Normal pages would be assigned a category.
Categories would contain various configurations, like title tokens (date tokens for example)

Then we have some simple category core functions like a category display page, that displays a specific category, or date range or whatever filters on any other metric a category provides.

Categories can also have excerpt templates.

And category pages can be grouped/filtered by category for editing in pages, not all lumped together.

Thats pretty much how I was thinking I guess mostly just adding some additional options to how a page is stored. I was trying to find a plugin that would let you call a page slug as an include oppose to a straight page, as an example, to include a page specific sidebar. Was hoping I missed something in one of the i8n plugins either that or I just dont fully understand the plugin.

I know page specific sidebars can just be written in to the html directly but was trying to come up with a simple generic idea for modular flexibility. Although the script injector plugin does work well when the data is stored in a component
getpagecontent(slug) i think