Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Formatting Limited to a Style Selector in Editor?
Brick 
I want to prevent users from putting inline formatting into the page content. The editor should allow the user to select a style from a preset list (h1, h2, h3, p) or to select from a short list of predefined span styles.

I can't see any way to do this in the CK editor configuration. Is there a way to do it in GetSimple?
you can define which elements the editor offers or not, there is a lot of documentation in the WIKI here

if you suppress bold for example and sourcecode view, the users won't be able to use bold formatting, either from the icon bar or in source code view

But I warn you, from my experience: the more you cripple the editor or any system, the more the users will complain and blame the system (not you, who restricted the use)

I personally don't want GetSimple or CKEditor to be blamed because formatting is limited ;=)
|--

Das deutschsprachige GetSimple-(Unter-)Forum:   http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18
(2012-12-30, 20:31:58)Connie Wrote: you can define which elements the editor offers or not, there is a lot of documentation in the WIKI here

if you suppress bold for example and sourcecode view, the users won't be able to use bold formatting, either from the icon bar or in source code view

Yes, bold formatting and other deprecated html is exactly what I want to prevent. The Wiki tells how to prevent these, but it does not give any hints as to how to allow users to do the job properly, by selecting styles instead.

This is a show-stopper for me. Unless it is possible to use styling properly, and to prevent crap like <b> and <i> codes, GetSimple is no use to me at all.
Actually ckeditor's [b] and [i] button wraps text within <strong> and <em> tag.
Btw. both tags aren't deprecated Smile
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
Fair enough, but I want to offer a drop-down list of styles, not inline formatting of any sort.

Doesn't matter now: I realised that I was spending more time looking for a suitable CMS than it took to write one from scratch, so that's what I've done. I wanted so few facilities that it was easier to start with none at all!
(2013-01-02, 10:43:24)hairydog Wrote: Fair enough, but I want to offer a drop-down list of styles, not inline formatting of any sort.

Doesn't matter now: I realised that I was spending more time looking for a suitable CMS than it took to write one from scratch, so that's what I've done. I wanted so few facilities that it was easier to start with none at all!

That's a feature of the editor and looking at the CKEditor home page would have given you anwers.

But it was also discussed in this forum: see http://get-simple.info/forum/post/17981/#p17981 and following posts.
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.
"Actually ckeditor's [b] and [i] button wraps text within <strong> and <em> tag."

yup perfectly valid html5
I don't see what the issue is here.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
(2013-01-03, 03:47:39)shawn_a Wrote: yup perfectly valid html5
I don't see what the issue is here.
The issue is that I do not want users to put inline styling codes into the html. Valid or not, as far as I am concerned they are not a good idea.
The main point of installing a CMS is to let non-technical users amend the content of pages.
I want to be able to restrict the havoc they can do to the design of the pages.
All mentioned html tags are valid part of page's structure.
You are trying to talk about semantically correct code, where page's structure (html) is separated from its presentation layer (CSS), but you don't even understand the difference between those two things.
The worse, those styles are being held by wysiwyg editor, not CMS.

To disallow adding inline styles to html tags, prepare css classes with custom formatting, and go with custom styles in ckeditor, to format highlighted text properly.
You might start from this point: http://docs.cksource.com/CKEditor_3.x/De...ide/Styles
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
I find your approach quite offensive. I know exactly what I want, and I an not impressed by some know-it-all who tries to tell me what I do and don't know.
Yet you keep saying b and I tag all over complaining about inline styles.
We are just noting that those are 2 different issues.

Both of which can be addressed via cleditor configuration as noted in the wiki.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
hairydog,

you told us already that you wrote your own system. So go and use that.

There is no need at all to insist on things which

- are common use
- are valid
- belong to a third party software
- and are of no interest for you because you will not use either GS and CKEditor

Please, do not plague us with your let us say stubborn whish to have the Earth square and the sky green

the world is round and the sky is blue (I hope)

have a good new year, success with your project and leave... you are free!
|--

Das deutschsprachige GetSimple-(Unter-)Forum:   http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18